Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 35 guests

Promotion for CWO Harkness

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Promotion for CWO Harkness
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sat May 16, 2015 9:58 am

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Now that we've beat that horse to death, have they started turning out a tribe of little Harkness-Babcocks to terrorize the galaxy?
-----------------
Gentlemen! You can't fight in here - this is the War Room!
Post by Kytheros   » Sat May 16, 2015 1:24 pm

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:Now that we've beat that horse to death, have they started turning out a tribe of little Harkness-Babcocks to terrorize the galaxy?
-----------------

Probably not yet. They've been kinda busy, what with the war, and so they have almost certainly had no time to commit to raising one child, much less several.
Also ... for one of them to have the time, they'd likely need to be on an extended medical leave, and/or to have been reassigned to a long term position in Manticore Binary System, probably at BuWeps(Harkness) or as an instructor (either, though more likely Iris than Horace). Or, I guess put on the beach for some reason.
Post by saber964   » Sat May 16, 2015 4:22 pm

saber964
Admiral

IIRC Honor holds 3 other PMV equivalent medals, namely 2 Stars of Grayson and possibly the Sidemore Presidential Medal.
Post by lyonheart   » Sat May 16, 2015 6:32 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Kytheros,

Why?

Artificial conception and brought to term in vitro is quite common, look at Raoul and Katherine, so I won't be surprised if there aren't a few Harkness-Babcock rug rats already terrorizing their teachers or sitters.

One wonders what treecats will call them. :D

L

Kytheros wrote:
Imaginos1892 wrote:Now that we've beat that horse to death, have they started turning out a tribe of little Harkness-Babcocks to terrorize the galaxy?
-----------------

Probably not yet. They've been kinda busy, what with the war, and so they have almost certainly had no time to commit to raising one child, much less several.
Also ... for one of them to have the time, they'd likely need to be on an extended medical leave, and/or to have been reassigned to a long term position in Manticore Binary System, probably at BuWeps(Harkness) or as an instructor (either, though more likely Iris than Horace). Or, I guess put on the beach for some reason.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by cthia   » Sat May 16, 2015 6:44 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Hi Kytheros,

Why?

Artificial conception and brought to term in vitro is quite common, look at Raoul and Katherine, so I won't be surprised if there aren't a few Harkness-Babcock rug rats already terrorizing their teachers or sitters.

L

Kytheros wrote:
-----------------

They'll call them what they are, "Hard Cocks", being a mix of the two personalities you see.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Kytheros   » Sat May 16, 2015 8:44 pm

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

-----------------

Kytheros wrote:Probably not yet. They've been kinda busy, what with the war, and so they have almost certainly had no time to commit to raising one child, much less several.

Why?

L

I'm not saying they couldn't've had a child, I'm saying that they wouldn't have had the time to devote to being parents to that child. There is, after all, a difference between having a child and being a parent to a child.
Even with sitters/nannies/etc, Raoul and Katherine still have one or more of their actual parents present on a daily basis, between Hamish being a desk jockey and Emily.

I don't think that Horace and Iris would want to both be functionally absentee parents.
Post by stewart   » Sun May 17, 2015 1:04 am

stewart
Captain of the List

Kytheros wrote:"Imaginos1892"]Now that we've beat that horse to death, have they started turning out a tribe of little Harkness-Babcocks to terrorize the galaxy?
-----------------

Kytheros wrote:Probably not yet. They've been kinda busy, what with the war, and so they have almost certainly had no time to commit to raising one child, much less several.

Why?

L

I'm not saying they couldn't've had a child, I'm saying that they wouldn't have had the time to devote to being parents to that child. There is, after all, a difference between having a child and being a parent to a child.
Even with sitters/nannies/etc, Raoul and Katherine still have one or more of their actual parents present on a daily basis, between Hamish being a desk jockey and Emily.

I don't think that Horace and Iris would want to both be functionally absentee parents.[/quote]

----

Which brings up the comment in another thread --
"school bully tells Harkness-Babcock's kid 'your mother wears Army Boots' -- <prompt a$$ kick> Kid replies 'Take that back -- they're Marine Boots'; Bully -- 'whimper, whimper'"

-- Stewart
Post by Hutch   » Sun May 17, 2015 1:03 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Kytheros wrote:I'm not saying they couldn't've had a child, I'm saying that they wouldn't have had the time to devote to being parents to that child. There is, after all, a difference between having a child and being a parent to a child.

I don't think that Horace and Iris would want to both be functionally absentee parents.

Well, according to House of Steel,
.....Babcock is currently Command Sergeant Major at Saganami Island, the Royal Manticoran Naval Academy.

So she is planetside and could provide a home for the prospective kids...

That said, it will remain a mystery unless the MWW finds a need to bring it up in textev.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by jtg452   » Mon May 18, 2015 11:21 pm

jtg452
Captain of the List

Gun Boat Diplomacy wrote:Is just me or ??? I think that Harkness should be booted up to Officer status. A lieutenant or Lt.Commander, I should think. After all, he's been holding officer slots lately and with the planning and execution of the jail break in "in enemy hands" has shown natural leadership bordering on almost Honor Harrington levels.

Why in the world would Sir Horace want to become an officer?

Senior NCO's have much more real power and influence than any junior officer that are, technically, their superiors. My father worked with a Command Sergeant Major (who had made CSM when the rank was adopted by the US Army- so the only way to be senior to him in rank was alphabetical) while he was in the Army that had an ongoing beef with a battalion XO- a major- from a sister battalion that had been going on for years.

Smart junior officers (O-1 through O-3 or so) learn how to do their jobs by working with and seeing how the senior NCO's get things done. Dumb junior officers don't learn that way and eventually do something to make said senior NCO's mad at them (and then they don't pick up the slack but only follow orders exactly) and/or screw up badly enough to get a one way ticket back to Civvie Street. Think Elvis Santino but without the influence to cover his butt.
Post by jchilds   » Tue May 19, 2015 12:34 am

jchilds
Captain of the List

I suspect the only way to make Harkness an "officer" would be to take the example of Jonas Adcock and push it about as far as you can, short of the Monarch (who can be C-in-C without ever having "served"), by sticking said CWO (probably kicking and screaming) into a job position that carries the rank with it.

Return to Honorverse