Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 11 guests

HMS-Fearless, CA-New

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: HMS-Fearless, CA-New
Post by Dauntless   » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:26 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

HMS Faerless as last seen in the honour of the queen has to have been replaced.

warlock was on of the few star knights still around and that was mainly due to disfavour it was held in having been pavel young's command

it's probably a Sag B,or when the new mk 16 armed light cruiser appears it might be the part of that class as either the name or just one of the first.

be a bit odd going from CA back to CL but when we first met Defiant she was a BC and when next we met her having won ship of the list status at first hancock (if not earlier) she was a CL (terekov's command before hexapuma)
Post by The E   » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:20 am

The E
Admiral

Dauntless wrote:be a bit odd going from CA back to CL but when we first met Defiant she was a BC and when next we met her having won ship of the list status at first hancock (if not earlier) she was a CL (terekov's command before hexapuma)

And then there's Troubadour, which was first seen as a Destroyer and later turned up as a Superdreadnought....
Post by Dauntless   » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:24 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

yes indeed. that was a big leap. talk about tonnage creep!
Post by Kytheros   » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:02 am

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

Theemile wrote:
Kytheros wrote:The Star Knight-class Fearless got pretty shot up at Yeltsin. I don't remember if it's said whether or not she was recoverable or not.
It's possible that she's still around, but it's equally possible that she died sometime during the first war, in which case, she'd probably be another Star Knight, since the RMN was reluctant to start new classes mid-war.

It's also possible that she was replaced sometime between wars, in which case the new Fearless would probably be a Sag-A or Sag-B.

It's unlikely that the current Fearless is a Sag-C, as it is unlikely that the Sag-C was in production when (or if) the first Star Knight-class Fearless was in need of replacement.

While you are corect about the RMN's hesitation on launching a new class mid-war, the Edward Saganami (Sag-A) was launched in 1908, after 10 years of redesign. The Sag B was launched in 1917 and the Sag-C in 1920

The point is, the current Fearless, assuming she's a heavy cruiser, is probably not a Sag-C.
If it's not the original Star Knight-class CA, then she's probably another Star Knight or a Sag-A, though Sag-B's a possibility too.
Post by SharkHunter   » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:07 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

--snipping and tiny edit's mine.
Dauntless wrote:HMS Fearless as last seen in the Honour of the Queen [HotQ] has to have been replaced.

Warlock was on of the few star knights still around and that was mainly due to disfavor it was held in having been Pavel Young's command

It's probably a Sag B,or when the new mk 16 armed light cruiser appears it might be the part of that class as either the name or just one of the first.

Be a bit odd going from CA back to CL but when we first met Defiant she was a BC and when next we met her having won ship of the list status at first Hancock (if not earlier) she was a CL (Terekov's command before Hexapuma)
Great points.

I hadn't considered the possibility of the ship name being in another ship class. I figured that in general the most "noteworthy" Ship of the List in a given class would always exist as a ship in that class. That would limit the options to the Ship itself being retained like HMS Courageous (which HMS Fearless CA-286 earned: she could be in Yeltin space), or be assigned to the state-of-the-art ship in class like the Nike(s) are. I'd be happy with either but prefer the second option, myself.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by Dauntless   » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:29 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

I'm not sure which option i like best. I too can see it being a memorial ship like HMS unconquered and that would be a fitting way to rember all that happened

Its a strong name and works best with CA and above but it was part of one (aside from crew comfort) of the best CL class Manticore ever made before the first war taught them all sorts of things that mere pirate hunting hadn't.

so in that respect I could support it being a CL (especially if its the new DDM version) but in my heart of hearts i think it should be CA or maybe BC.

I'm also thinking that the new Fearless should have a Fearless Veteran in command unfortunately most of the surviving members already have ships.

Scotty Tremaine was about the most junior and he now has a Sag C of his own, plus command of the division.

Carolyn Walcott is a possibility but i seem to have a hazy recollection of her dieing on wayfaerer (the q-ship honnor had in book 6, i think)

so who else is there?

The idea of giving it Abigial Hearns is not a bad one. She at least would have some connection to the ship (as most graysons do) but if she is given command then we are not likely to see the new fearless anytime soon. I suppose she might get XO (when promtion to LTCM) and then cap killed and she takes command and she is then promoted again at end of mission and given the ship formally
Post by SharkHunter   » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:12 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

--snipping, sic edits mine--
Dauntless wrote: Carolyn Walcott is a possibility but i seem to have a hazy recollection of her dying on HMMAC Wayfarer (the q-ship Honor had in book 6, i think)...
Correct. Carolyn died in the Battle of Selker Rift in the final graser-on-graser broadside(s) that mission killed both ships.

Similar question though: what about Honor's original officers from the Casimir raid [short story in "In Fire Forged"]. By now the ones who weren't already aging out (Aloysius O'Neal) should be admirals, yes?
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by Dauntless   » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:44 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

if they are still alive. the first war, Thunderbolt and Battle of Manticore (or should that be first Manticore?) wiped out a lot of good people BoM espcially.

I was so upset when Alistair and Banshee died. was worse then Rastar in We Few and that hurt so much!

There has to be someone left who would be worthy but apart from Abigial i'm stumped as to who. they are all too senior, if alive.

really that should have been Rafe cardones first command instead of werewolf. or Scotty Tremaine's once he left the LACs
Post by Theemile   » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:42 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Kytheros wrote:The point is, the current Fearless, assuming she's a heavy cruiser, is probably not a Sag-C.
If it's not the original Star Knight-class CA, then she's probably another Star Knight or a Sag-A, though Sag-B's a possibility too.

So true, unless the 3rd Fearless was also lost at some point in Thunderbolt (or the second was repaired and lost at Thunderbolt.)
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by SharkHunter   » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:04 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Dauntless wrote:if they are still alive. the first war, Thunderbolt and Battle of Manticore (or should that be first Manticore?) wiped out a lot of good people BoM espcially.

I was so upset when Alistair and Banshee died. was worse then Rastar in We Few and that hurt so much!

There has to be someone left who would be worthy but apart from Abigial i'm stumped as to who. they are all too senior, if alive.

really that should have been Rafe cardones first command instead of werewolf. or Scotty Tremaine's once he left the LACs
That said, Tremaine is a cruiser captain right now. You don't think he'd jump ship to Fearless III in a heartbeat? I would just to honor my and HH's battle dead.
---------------------

Return to Honorverse