Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

new light cruiser needed

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: new light cruiser needed
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun May 03, 2015 1:14 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Kytheros wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:I think that'd depend on the effective range of Keyhole II Apollo FTL control.
The (4-stage) system defense missiles have the advantage of fighting on prepared ground, where the system will have been seeded with Mycroft FTL fire-control relay nodes -- making the inherent range limits of any single Apollo link fairly irrelevant.

Ships can't count on that same advantage. We don't have a solid number on the max useable range of Apollo - just two widely different data points.
* 3 lm (53,962,642 km) is within range
* 8 lm (143,900,380) is beyond effective range
(65,726,640 km is max continuously powered range of a Mk23)
So adding range may, or may not, be useful to them; and in my opinion they'd only add the drive if it added useful (controllable) extra range.

I'm just not sure what RFC/Bunine have the the max continuously powered range of a 4-drive MDM calculated as.
----------------------------------------------------
Relativity tangent:

You can't calculated it the same way that the existing missiles seem to be done (ignoring the effects relativity) -- if you did the calculations would show terminal velocities greater than c. (oops)

Without relativity a Mk23, accelerating at 42000g for 540 seconds reaches:
65.7 million km range, at 0.81c terminal velocity (agrees with the books)
But, if I did it correctly, throwing in relativity those numbers drop to:
57.4 million km range, at 0.63c terminal velocity

But how to reconcile a 3-drive missile, calculated w/o relativity, to a 4-drive missile that can't completely ignore it isn't exactly obvious.

Particle shielding probably wouldn't support missile velocities much above .9c for very long.
Also, is it confirmed that the 4th drive is a full-up drive, and not a sprint-type drive?
I'd assume that the final stage is usually set to a higher acceleration, lower run duration configuration for terminal maneuvering.

I'd agree that 4-drive MDMs aren't going to be deployed as shipboard weapons. 3 is plenty for pretty much any conceivable battlespace. If you're shooting at somebody who you need a 4th drive run for, you should have a ballistic segment in the middle, and if you still need a 4th drive after the ballistic segment and the first 3, you should wait to close the range.
Regarding Apollo control range ... I want to say it's 4 light minutes, but I can't remember where that number is coming from. Something connected to Apollo was 4 light minutes.
Whatever range Apollo has, it's a long way to go, and anybody without Apollo - which is going to take a long time to duplicate - even assuming they have MDMs, is going to have bad accuracy, and probably won't want to start shooting until they can close the range.

AHA! I remember where I got 4 light minutes from - Storm From the Shadows, Chapter 13 - Mike Henke's battlecruiser squadron is running an exercise where they're SD(P)s and using Apollo. 4.4 light minutes is within Apollo control range. The targets were 82-ish million kilometers away.

Call Apollo range limits around 5-6 light minutes. Unless the other side has Apollo too, even with MDMs, they're going to have an appallingly bad day at that kind of range; they're looking at a 10 minute communications cycle, unless they have Ghost Rider/FTL recon drone capability, then it's "only" five minutes. I suspect that nobody is going to have the capability to build their own version of Ghost Rider, much less Apollo, for quite a while.
And even with Apollo, you're looking at long flight times. Long enough that most warships will have a decent shot of activating their hyperdrives to get out of the way, if they're outside the hyperlimit.

First, thanks for that SftS reference; I'd missed it.
(I had the numbers from the two operational uses of Apollo w/FTL control; but had forgotten or overlooked that simulated use)

Second, you're correct, the system defense 4-drive Apollo birds are 3 normal drives plus a CM-derived 'sprint' drive. But that doesn't actually fix the relativistic problem.

Using non-relativistic math a Mk25's first 3 drives (at half power mode) push it up to 0.81c.
Then the sprint drive calculation shoves it to:
1.07c (130,000g for 60s - Mk30 CM spec),
1.13c (130,000g for 75s - Mk31 CM spec),
1.00c (95,000g for 60s - older CM spec), or
0.99c (90.500g for 60s - OBS CM spec).
None of those really make sense. So I assume RFC/BuNine will, to avoid ret-conning the performance of the Mk23s, just throw in a fudge factor (or maybe a speed limit) on any 4-drive missiles to keep them well below 1c.

But without knowing what that will be I couldn't really make reasonable guesses about it's powered range.
Post by Kytheros   » Sun May 03, 2015 5:01 pm

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:I think that'd depend on the effective range of Keyhole II Apollo FTL control.
The (4-stage) system defense missiles have the advantage of fighting on prepared ground, where the system will have been seeded with Mycroft FTL fire-control relay nodes -- making the inherent range limits of any single Apollo link fairly irrelevant.

Ships can't count on that same advantage. We don't have a solid number on the max useable range of Apollo - just two widely different data points.
* 3 lm (53,962,642 km) is within range
* 8 lm (143,900,380) is beyond effective range
(65,726,640 km is max continuously powered range of a Mk23)
So adding range may, or may not, be useful to them; and in my opinion they'd only add the drive if it added useful (controllable) extra range.

I'm just not sure what RFC/Bunine have the the max continuously powered range of a 4-drive MDM calculated as.
----------------------------------------------------
Relativity tangent:

You can't calculated it the same way that the existing missiles seem to be done (ignoring the effects relativity) -- if you did the calculations would show terminal velocities greater than c. (oops)

Without relativity a Mk23, accelerating at 42000g for 540 seconds reaches:
65.7 million km range, at 0.81c terminal velocity (agrees with the books)
But, if I did it correctly, throwing in relativity those numbers drop to:
57.4 million km range, at 0.63c terminal velocity

But how to reconcile a 3-drive missile, calculated w/o relativity, to a 4-drive missile that can't completely ignore it isn't exactly obvious.

Kytheros wrote:Particle shielding probably wouldn't support missile velocities much above .9c for very long.
Also, is it confirmed that the 4th drive is a full-up drive, and not a sprint-type drive?
I'd assume that the final stage is usually set to a higher acceleration, lower run duration configuration for terminal maneuvering.

I'd agree that 4-drive MDMs aren't going to be deployed as shipboard weapons. 3 is plenty for pretty much any conceivable battlespace. If you're shooting at somebody who you need a 4th drive run for, you should have a ballistic segment in the middle, and if you still need a 4th drive after the ballistic segment and the first 3, you should wait to close the range.
Regarding Apollo control range ... I want to say it's 4 light minutes, but I can't remember where that number is coming from. Something connected to Apollo was 4 light minutes.
Whatever range Apollo has, it's a long way to go, and anybody without Apollo - which is going to take a long time to duplicate - even assuming they have MDMs, is going to have bad accuracy, and probably won't want to start shooting until they can close the range.

AHA! I remember where I got 4 light minutes from - Storm From the Shadows, Chapter 13 - Mike Henke's battlecruiser squadron is running an exercise where they're SD(P)s and using Apollo. 4.4 light minutes is within Apollo control range. The targets were 82-ish million kilometers away.

Call Apollo range limits around 5-6 light minutes. Unless the other side has Apollo too, even with MDMs, they're going to have an appallingly bad day at that kind of range; they're looking at a 10 minute communications cycle, unless they have Ghost Rider/FTL recon drone capability, then it's "only" five minutes. I suspect that nobody is going to have the capability to build their own version of Ghost Rider, much less Apollo, for quite a while.
And even with Apollo, you're looking at long flight times. Long enough that most warships will have a decent shot of activating their hyperdrives to get out of the way, if they're outside the hyperlimit.

Jonathan_S wrote:First, thanks for that SftS reference; I'd missed it.
(I had the numbers from the two operational uses of Apollo w/FTL control; but had forgotten or overlooked that simulated use)

Second, you're correct, the system defense 4-drive Apollo birds are 3 normal drives plus a CM-derived 'sprint' drive. But that doesn't actually fix the relativistic problem.

Using non-relativistic math a Mk25's first 3 drives (at half power mode) push it up to 0.81c.
Then the sprint drive calculation shoves it to:
1.07c (130,000g for 60s - Mk30 CM spec),
1.13c (130,000g for 75s - Mk31 CM spec),
1.00c (95,000g for 60s - older CM spec), or
0.99c (90.500g for 60s - OBS CM spec).
None of those really make sense. So I assume RFC/BuNine will, to avoid ret-conning the performance of the Mk23s, just throw in a fudge factor (or maybe a speed limit) on any 4-drive missiles to keep them well below 1c.

But without knowing what that will be I couldn't really make reasonable guesses about it's powered range.

Easy to miss or forget about the SFtS bit - there's a lot going on in Chapter 13, most of it entirely unrelated to Apollo, and then Chapter 14 starts with Henke meeting Admiral Khumalo and the political and strategic situation in the Talbott Quadrant.

I expect there'll be a "speed limit" imposed by particle shield failure, if nothing else. Also, while the acceleration math may dodge relativistic effects, the time dilation imposed by relativity still applies - which will impose its own practical limitations on maximum velocity for effective/practical targeting.
Sure, you can get real fast, but then you can't maneuver or aim real well. Admittedly, those wouldn't solve the theoretical attainable velocities issue.
Or maybe it's bit like the inertial compensator curve math - you have (apparently) negligible relativistic effects on accel until you reach a certain velocity (presumably at a previously unreached velocity), and then relativity kicks back in with a vengeance.
Post by Relax   » Sun May 03, 2015 5:38 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

4 stage missile reasoning has little, nah, nothing to do with increasing velocity. Has everything to do with tactics at range.

Mycroft is stated as being nothing but Keyhole II platforms + added endurance seeded around a planet to act as a system defense net. So, why one would think there is any range advantage shipboard to system defense regarding range for control is a head scratcher when they are using the exact same FTL tech. The limit currently is is 3 stage verses 4 stage missiles being too large for shipboard use. Missile size is still decreasing. So, in the future... ;)
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by Kytheros   » Sun May 03, 2015 6:27 pm

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

Relax wrote:4 stage missile reasoning has little, nah, nothing to do with increasing velocity. Has everything to do with tactics at range.

Mycroft is stated as being nothing but Keyhole II platforms + added endurance seeded around a planet to act as a system defense net. So, why one would think there is any range advantage shipboard to system defense regarding range for control is a head scratcher when they are using the exact same FTL tech. The limit currently is is 3 stage verses 4 stage missiles being too large for shipboard use. Missile size is still decreasing. So, in the future... ;)

Mycroft is a network of distributed fire control relay platforms distributed throughout the entire system, not just around the planet, linked to a sophisticated recon/surveillance/sensor network, and a lot more fire control hardware than a fleet of SD(P)s has. Remember the Havenite Moriarty? Mycroft is essentially Moriarty mated with FTL fire control relays littering the system like Manticore seeded Hermes bouys in the Manticore System itself.
It's not just a 5-6 light minute bubble around the planet, it's a bunch of platforms positioned to redundantly cover the entire system, or at least as much as you deem worth covering in defense against invaders. The relay platforms are probably in a 3d grid about 2 light minutes apart, covering the entire system, or at least a largish chunk of it, likely including the entire hyperlimit.
It's not just a couple platforms, it's made up of dozens, possibly hundreds, of relay platforms.

Sure, size is part of the concern ... the other part is another stage doesn't actually help ships all that much. They don't have the network of fire control relays to push their FTL range beyond the few light minutes. In addition, if a ship can't range on its target with 2 drives and a ballistic segment, with the 3rd for adjustments and terminal maneuver - the ship should wait until it's closer before opening fire. Flight times are going to be long enough that you're going to wind up wasting salvos, unless you're willing to wait for the first to hit before launching a second.
Extra velocity? MDMs can get to over .8c from rest - and the warship probably won't be at rest when they're shooting.
Post by Relax   » Sun May 03, 2015 7:21 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Scratches head: Wonders when the last time you read AAC and the later explanation in MoH for how Honor shot at 2nd Fleet from 200Mkm away using FTL...

FTL fire control ranges will be going uP, not DOwn. FTL RD's already have vastly more range than FTL Apollo. This shows WHERE in the future, combat is going via fire control limitations.

Moriarity was fire control around a planet. Now sensor platforms FEEDING its fire control would be placed further out, just as would happen for Mycroft. Mycroft is not a relay for using 4 stage MDM's. It is the fire control station. The 4th stage is for tactical considerations for maneuvering at extreme range where it is possible to need 2 stages on ships who maneuver at extreme range. I believe we all think the 4th stage is a sprint drive. We honestly do not know. IF it is a sprint drive, then one MUST have a full 3rd stage or at minimum the third stage ALSO being a sprint drive to attack ships at extreme range as a ship can maneuver out of the attack range from a single sprint with prior 2 stages + ballistic. Do the math in Excel to properly play with the number. Quite a few tactical considerations go into it.

With acceleration compensator efficiency going up, the range at which a ship can completely dodge a 2 stage MDM + ballistic phase is decreasing.

RFC has steadily eroded the alpha strike. So, yes, attacking at extreme range and waiting a few minutes is not the end of the world, when it takes 2 HOURS for a ship to get to turnover point exiting hyper and crossing the hyperlimit.

Now add in Mod-G MK-23 where each of its 10 laser rods is equal to 2 to 5 previous MK-23 laser rods and the number of hits required to destroy an SD is drastically decreasing. This equates to the ability to attack at extreme range even if most missiles at this range are destroyed.

Range advantage is undefeated throughout military history. If you do not look through B&W glases that is.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon May 04, 2015 12:28 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Relax wrote:Scratches head: Wonders when the last time you read AAC and the later explanation in MoH for how Honor shot at 2nd Fleet from 200Mkm away using FTL...
Um, that part (Ch 2) where Honor says the shot was a bluff? That she couldn't really use those missile to engage 2nd fleet at that range? Yeah I remember that. :?
(Also it was 'only' ~150 million km away. IIRC the handful of missiles she fired were controlled, more or less, via a Hermes buoy, and they were targeted to miss and 2nd fleet still stopped 3/4 of them)
That seems more to support our belief that you need multiple replays of Mycroft to get truly extended range.
Relax wrote:FTL fire control ranges will be going uP, not DOwn. FTL RD's already have vastly more range than FTL Apollo. This shows WHERE in the future, combat is going via fire control limitations.

Moriarity was fire control around a planet. Now sensor platforms FEEDING its fire control would be placed further out, just as would happen for Mycroft. Mycroft is not a relay for using 4 stage MDM's. It is the fire control station. The 4th stage is for tactical considerations for maneuvering at extreme range where it is possible to need 2 stages on ships who maneuver at extreme range. I believe we all think the 4th stage is a sprint drive. We honestly do not know. IF it is a sprint drive, then one MUST have a full 3rd stage or at minimum the third stage ALSO being a sprint drive to attack ships at extreme range as a ship can maneuver out of the attack range from a single sprint with prior 2 stages + ballistic. Do the math in Excel to properly play with the number.
The Moriarty control node was fire control around a planet. The Moriarty relays were how that fire control reached out across the entire inner system.
At All Costs: Ch 37 wrote:Moriarty was Shannon Foraker's system defense answer to the individual inferiority of the Republic's missile pods. The control station was a flat, light-drinking black, constructed of radar absorbent materials. It was almost impossible to detect, as long as it practiced strict emission-control discipline, and the Manticoran recon arrays had missed it entirely.
Now it reached out through the other innocent-looking orbital platforms which had been seeded about the system at the same time. Each of those platforms was, in effect, a less capable, simpler minded version of the RMN's own Keyholes. They formed a network, an expanding spray of tentacles, which gave Moriarty literally thousands of fire control telemetry links. And what those links lacked in Manticoran-style sophistication they made up in numbers, because they could control the missiles assigned to them without break all the way to their targets.
Mycroft is like those relays. There's still some central control, likely in planetary orbit, but my understanding is that it reaches out through a network of Mycroft relays scattered around the system.

From an RFC post back on 31-Jan-2012 in 'Possible New Destroyer Design'
runsforcelery wrote:You install Mycroft in the inner system, with dispersed FTL com nodes to control Apollo system defense muissiles the same way Shannon Foraker's Moriarity did with Havenite MDMs against 8th Fleet."

Those dispersed FTL com nodes are the equivalent of Moriarty's dispered orbital (fire control relay) platforms.

Also, that same post seems to be the place where RFC gave the details on the Mk 25; including that its 4th drive was lower endurance/higher accel than it's other 3.
runsforcelery wrote:a four-stage drive to give the birds more endurance, a longer powered envelope, and much higher acceleration in the last stage of attack (the fourth stage turns out a higher acceleration for a briefer period than any of the other three stages)
(Though while looking for this I did find that Storm from the Shadows says that Mk 23-F (original designation for the system-defense 4-drive Apollo Control Missile) does mount a more sensative FTL receiver ("which increased volume requirements more dramatically than we'd expected") it increase it's (un-relayed) FTL controlled range beyond that of the Mk23-E.
Post by Relax   » Mon May 04, 2015 3:21 am

Relax
Fleet Admiral

It would appear we are talking apples and oranges.

I say future ship development needs to correct current deployed hardware and also trends dictating developing capabilities, you say what are already known limitations with deployed hardware.

Trend: FTL range/bandwidth increasing = increased range

We have seen 70+Mkm FTL current hardware using ballistic after 2 stages. This range will be increasing. At which point the ballistic phase will outstrip the 3rd stages ability to compensate. Will be forced to a 4 stage implementation. Now it is possible, instead of 180s per stage, they will choose to change to 120s stages, but more numerous, giving higher flexibility.

More than a single way to skin a cat.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax

Return to Honorverse