Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests

Nitpicking at A Rising Thunder...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Nitpicking at A Rising Thunder...
Post by Kytheros   » Thu May 07, 2015 7:26 pm

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

Relax wrote:Found it in A Rising Thunder

SLN BF translated next to the hyper limit a mere 12ls away 300,000x12 ~ 3.6Mkm.

So, even BF in its supposedly "worst" can easily translate near a hyperlimit or WHJ termini well within SDM range.

Kytheros wrote:One, Filareta is/was one of the better/more competent BF commanders.
Two, that's still a helluva long way from deliberately jumping right on top of - energy range of - the pickets.
Three, while such a jump would give them surprise, 12 light seconds is still not enough to catch the Manticorans completely unawares, with all defenses down - Manticoran defenses would have more than enough time to activate.

Relax wrote:Moving the goal posts much?

The issue was taking WHJ termini away from Manticore with umpteen thousands of SLN SDM equipped ships. The issue was never jumping into energy range. The issue was jumping onto a terminus in SDM range. Therefore all the discussion with HOW LONG it would require a ship to transit a terminus. Several said minutes. Obviously SDM is sub 3 minute flight...

If you can jump within energy range... Well, lets just say defending a terminus is impossible.

Somebody was pushing for the SLN dropping out of energy range on top of the pickets themselves, not simply the terminus.
Then it was 12 light seconds from the pickets and if that was close enough to take them out by surprise and their defenses down (it's not).
Sure, they can likely drop out somewhere in SDM range of the terminus. No, that's not going to be enough to assure taking the pickets without using massively overwhelming force anyways.

Kytheros wrote:I think that in HotQ, they were at about the lowest state of combat readiness a warship in motion is ever at.
I also think that it's fairly safe to say that the warships Manticore pickets wormhole termini with will be at a higher state of combat readiness/alert than that.

kzt wrote:No, they had their wedge up and were underway. Every second you have the wedge up puts wear on the nodes. Nodes that currently are not replaceable and have a typical life of years of service only when most of that time is spent with the wedge down. Same thing with sidewall generators.

Now admittedly they are mostly deploying new ships that have minimal wear on their nodes, but node wear is a big problem when there are virtually no replacements, and any replacements are a month plus away.

As thinkstoomuch brings up - Honor had trouble getting a single beta node replaced after a 2 year tour in Silesia. Said beta node was faulty from the beginning - manufacturer error of some kind, that slipped past quality control inspections.
All the other nodes were fine, and nowhere close to needing replacement.

It took years of sustained combat operations and deferred maintenance to reduce the RMN's efficiency ratings down to 80%.

Again, I'm not advocating a full combat alert readiness, but I do not believe that pickets will have wedges down, nodes hot or otherwise. At minimum, their wedges will be at minimum (called maintenance, IIRC) levels, and while their sidewalls probably won't be up, the generators will be ready to go.
Honorverse tech, by and large, is incredibly durable with long service lifetimes, even with minimal maintenance.
Nodes are probably good for a minimum average of 5 years of use.
Oh, sure, they're not going to last as long as they would in a normal peacetime deployment, but they're going to last more than long enough for replacement nodes to become available. Spare parts will be available a fair bit sooner than new ships.

Again, I don't think it is unreasonable to say that the pickets will be more alert than Honor's ships in HotQ, which I said I believe were probably at "lowest state of combat readiness a warship in motion is ever at".
I do not think it unreasonable to believe that the pickets will be somewhat more alert than that, as they are (a) at war, (b) not in friendly space, (c) exposed outside the hyperlimit.

Return to Honorverse