Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jtg452 and 65 guests

Field of Dishonor, Chapter 21

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Field of Dishonor, Chapter 21
Post by stewart   » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:09 am

stewart
Captain of the List

HB of CJ wrote:Breakfast, Dinner, Supper. SW Virginia. USA. HB of CJ (old coot)

----------------

Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner -- most days

If referring to Sunday Dinner -- usually early afternoon 1-2 PM (after church) with supper as a light optional in the evening

West Coast with Northern Mid-west roots.

-- Stewart
Post by DrMegaverse   » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:38 am

DrMegaverse
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I've never really heard supper used here in the west. Dinner was pretty much all we said growing up...and still do.
Post by Guardiandashi   » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:58 am

Guardiandashi
Ensign

in my moms family Midwest, and mostly north central iowa area the terms are a bit different.

breakfast well first meal of the day.
lunch or dinner ~noon or midday meal
supper, evening meal

in my dads family west coast it was:

breakfast first meal typically morning, however if you work a different shift, like swing or graveyard its still your "wakeup meal"

lunch is your midday meal (whatever your day schedule is.... )

dinner is your late day meal

part of the reason my moms family was "stricter" about time of day on meals was much of moms family was and is farmers, so tied closer to the "sun"
Post by John Prigent   » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:53 am

John Prigent
Captain of the List

In this house it's cups of tea when we've let the dogs out for their first run in the garden - nothing solid for us but they get their breakfasts. Then brunch in late morning - coffee and a single croissant/sandwich/or roll. Afternoon tea mid-afternoon is tea and a single slice of homemade cake. Early-evening supper is our only cooked, sit-at-the-table meal though usually only a single course. Are we unusual?
Cheers
John

stewart wrote:

----------------

If referring to Sunday Dinner -- usually early afternoon 1-2 PM (after church) with supper as a light optional in the evening

-- Stewart
Post by cthia   » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:42 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

John Prigent wrote:In this house it's cups of tea when we've let the dogs out for their first run in the garden - nothing solid for us but they get their breakfasts. Then brunch in late morning - coffee and a single croissant/sandwich/or roll. Afternoon tea mid-afternoon is tea and a single slice of homemade cake. Early-evening supper is our only cooked, sit-at-the-table meal though usually only a single course. Are we unusual?
Cheers
John

stewart wrote:

----------------

-- Stewart

No John. Not unusual at all. It seems to be pretty standard for your side of the globe. Whenever I visit any of my friends across the waters, I have to get accustomed to the fact that no one does breakfast. I was raised that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. On your side of the world, a bagel and coffee is it - if you're lucky. Mostly it's just coffee for breakfast. Coffee Is Not Breakfast! Add a bagel to the coffee, and or tea, and call it lunch??? My Romanian friends seems like they're starving themselves.

Let's eat! But their stomachs can't handle a heavy meal before lunch.

They make allowances when I visit. But they mostly stare and gawk at me like I imagine everyone gawks at Honor.

"How does everyone eat like that in America so early. How do you work the rest of the day?"

Without a nice breakfast, I'm so weak by lunch I'm famished. Shaking. Close to passing out!

But I also notice, that in America we generally tend to eat dinner much earlier than our foreign friends. Dinner between 7-9 pm is not unheard of across the waters from America. I would have died from hunger by then. And I've eaten something during the day! It's supposed to be three meals a day. Not a snack, a munching... then a meal.

But then, we are the most obese country in the world aren't we?

My Ro friends and I tease each other unmercifully about food.

"You all should be wasting away," I tell them.

"You should be big as a house," they tell me. I'm 6'2" 190-198 lbs. It fluctuates, summer to winter.

I suppose I have a high metabolism. If I ate like foreigners, I'd be anorexic.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by roseandheather   » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:13 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Breakfast: morning, that thing you skip because you want more sleep

Lunch: midday, that thing you skip unless you're hungry

Dinner: evening, that thing you don't skip ever (unless you had lunch that day)

Supper: laaaaate evening, lighter than dinner, usually after some sort of big afternoon event that involved a late lunch, usually followed almost immediately by going to bed

Source: Hoosier raised by Californian parents who have been severely contaminated by the Italians and the French
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by jgnfld   » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:31 pm

jgnfld
Captain of the List

In Newfoundland, and much of Atlantic Canada, historically dinner was the noon meal and supper the evening meal. Television and cultural homogenization from media in general is changing/has changed this into basically synonyms.
Post by cthia   » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:59 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

jgnfld wrote:In Newfoundland, and much of Atlantic Canada, historically dinner was the noon meal and supper the evening meal. Television and cultural homogenization from media in general is changing/has changed this into basically synonyms.

Perhaps, in today's fast food societies, proliferation of restaurants, game consoles, smart phones and computers - a family meal including, the family, is now a novelty. Therefore the nomenclature isn't needed. Certainly not two different names for one similar, unlikely, or at least rare, event. So, one is becoming defunct, as the meal.

My parents insisted that we eat as a family. Non-negotiable. Boob-tube off, just family, mostly. I love them for that. We are a very close-knit family, I think because of it. We laughed, lived, loved and cried at the dinner table. My sisters carry on the tradition.

Most families nowadays has someone eating on the sofa, the bedroom, the car, etc. etc. Families don't even know each other anymore.

And family size is dwindling. Who has over one or two kids nowadays?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by HB of CJ   » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:02 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

As the risk of further hijacking this excellent thread, (opps ... and sorry!) we always made a big deal out of the family meals. We also took turns laying it all on with the men doing a better job than the ladies. We got pretty bad at it.

We also had to clean up our messes. Sometimes that kitchen afterwards looked like a bomb had gone off in it. Breakfast was big. Dinner at noon time was kinda light. Supper in the evenings was another big meal and kinda formal. Fun!

There were unspoken rules at the table. Good table manners required. No politics, religion, death or taxes spoken. Only fun or humerous subjects or topics that encouraged the kids. Good memories about just sitting down with family.

HB of CJ (old coot) Junior Captain so there! :)

Return to Honorverse