Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 184 guests

Field of Dishonor, Chapter 21

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Field of Dishonor, Chapter 21
Post by pushmar   » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:45 am

pushmar
Lieutenant Commander

Has anyone ever noticed that Chapter 21 of Field of Dishonor has perhaps have a somewhat different writing style that that which is usual of RFC's work? Maybe like John Ringo, or Eric Flint? Maybe a bit more concise?
Re: Field of Dishonor, Chapter 21
Post by kzt   » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:46 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

The first 4 books were all written together and submitted at the same time IIRC.
Post by pushmar   » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:10 am

pushmar
Lieutenant Commander

I've always enjoyed David Weber's writing style, and lately have appreciated it even more.

If David Weber did write this chapter as you said, that means even more. I'm impressed.
Post by rdt   » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:35 pm

rdt
Commodore

pushmar wrote:I've always enjoyed David Weber's writing style, and lately have appreciated it even more.

If David Weber did write this chapter as you said, that means even more. I'm impressed.

Of course David wrote it. No question. But I have a question/comment. David constantly and always refers to a meal called supper. Supper is considered a light meal, perhaps eaten in the evening when one has had a heavy lunch. Dinner is what most folks (not from the southern USA?) eat in the evening. I don't know why, but it bothers me a bit when I read that Honor invited whoever to supper. What? She can't afford to really put on a feed?
Post by MuonNeutrino   » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:11 pm

MuonNeutrino
Commander

rdt wrote:But I have a question/comment. David constantly and always refers to a meal called supper. Supper is considered a light meal, perhaps eaten in the evening when one has had a heavy lunch. Dinner is what most folks (not from the southern USA?) eat in the evening. I don't know why, but it bothers me a bit when I read that Honor invited whoever to supper. What? She can't afford to really put on a feed?

This may be a regional language thing, but where I'm from (northeastern US) the words are almost completely interchangeable, at least in common conversation. (That is, they both refer to a meal eaten in the evening.) The only real difference is that a more formal evening meal is generally going to be called 'dinner' (usually with some kind of prefix - 'sunday dinner', etc) rather than 'supper', but simply using the word 'dinner' doesn't necessarily mean that it has to be formal. Either way, though, here the word choice has nothing to do with the size of the meal.
Last edited by MuonNeutrino on Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by HB of CJ   » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:14 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

I for one has also noted many incidences where the writing style has changed. Usually this happens chapter by chapter. Once in awhile it seems that somebody edited stuff inside one chapter. It is sutle and does not seem to affect the richness of the various story lines. Some chapters seem almost to have been written either earlier or later. Just me. HB of CJ (old coot)
Post by dan92677   » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:57 pm

dan92677
Commander

I was raised in the south and our three meals were breakfast, lunch and supper.
Post by cthia   » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:25 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

MuonNeutrino wrote:
rdt wrote:But I have a question/comment. David constantly and always refers to a meal called supper. Supper is considered a light meal, perhaps eaten in the evening when one has had a heavy lunch. Dinner is what most folks (not from the southern USA?) eat in the evening. I don't know why, but it bothers me a bit when I read that Honor invited whoever to supper. What? She can't afford to really put on a feed?

This may be a regional language thing, but where I'm from (northeastern US) the words are almost completely interchangeable, at least in common conversation. (That is, they both refer to a meal eaten in the evening.) The only real difference is that a more formal evening meal is generally going to be called 'dinner' (usually with some kind of prefix - 'sunday dinner', etc) rather than 'supper', but simply using the word 'dinner' doesn't necessarily mean that it has to be formal. Either way, though, here the word choice has nothing to do with the size of the meal.

It doesn't have anything to do with the size of the meal. Dinners can encompass a formal setting. But not necessarily. Dinners can also cover the needs - from friends to business associates to foreign dignitaries.

Supper, as maintained by my parents, is offered to a close-knit group of people. Hence the term, "come and 'sup' with us." It carries an informal, more intimate and private connotation, beyond just eating. As, "The Last Supper," of Jesus with his disciples...
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will SUP with him, and he with me. ( Revelation 3 )

In essence, Harrington was extending an honor, to a close-knit group of people - her family away from home.

Although it is used interchangeably in most modern regions - religious geographics, certainly amongst the older generation, may still observe a separate meaning.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Theemile   » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:42 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

MuonNeutrino wrote:

I'm from the middle of the rustbelt, here the words are interchangeable as well, with dinner occasionally used in more formal contexts also. However, if someone were to say "Sunday Dinner" (specifically), it usually, but not necessarily, connotates a family get together lasting most of the afternoon and early evening, not just the meal itself.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by HB of CJ   » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:40 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

Breakfast, Dinner, Supper. SW Virginia. USA. HB of CJ (old coot)

Return to Honorverse