Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 160 guests

ERIM

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: ERIM
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:44 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

crewdude48 wrote:Personally, I suspect that it would be possible, using current Manticoran tech, to extend the ranges of CMs to upwards of 5 Mkm without to much more work or upsizing them to badly, and with out the need to initialize a second wedge. However, at that point (again according to David Weber) the light speed delay of information from the ship to the missile will be just too long for the missile to be effective enough to bother using.
Hmm, just plugging the drive performance numbers into my spreadsheet (and ignoring control issues for the moment.) To get 5 million km on a single stage, at the current CM accel rate of 130,000g, would require stretching the node endurance from 75 seconds (Mk31) to basically 90 seconds.

We don't have any confirmed details of a single drive missile with that long a full powered endurance. Though the engagement range with a Mk14 ERM in WoH make me suspect that it might have a 90s/270s drive.

Another way to get to 5 million km would be to increase accel to around 180,000g. Or, less desirably, CMs drives can possible be stepped down to half accel for triple endurance (like normal missile drives); in which case only 125s @ 65,000g gives you 5 million km.
Post by BrigadeΔ   » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:58 pm

BrigadeΔ
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Theemile wrote:MaxXQ weighed in on this old topic about a year ago. There's insufficient room to fit more than 1 CM in the warhead space on Missiles. Multiple CMs can fit in an unpowered CANISTER (a missile sized plastic/foam sabot holding several CMs which breaks away after the CMs have passed throuigh the Side walls), but the power and drive systems on a Missile take up too much space for multiple CMs to fit in - even in MDMs.

What about if you took a last gen. Capital ship single drive missile, stacked a couple of CM's on top of it with thrusters to push them away so there is no wedge interference and stuff the assembly into a missule pod or missile tube designed for an MDM, the MDM missile body is much bigger then the SDM missile body giving you space in the tubes, you could probably do the same thing with MK 16's and MK 50's. You could use apollo drones possibly with some modifications to provide control links positioning them 9 million kilometers out and maybe 150,000 to 300,000 kilometers off the missile flight leading to 1 to 1.5 seconds of one way control link delay and sensors within 1 light second.
Post by Michael Everett   » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:46 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

Something to remember is that counter-missiles are cheaper than the attacking missiles. They lack the expensive warheads (and associated technical systems) and generally don't have to cope with as much ECM interfering with them since they are almost never used against capital ships. Since they are smaller, more of them can be stored, thus meaning less volume is required per 100 missiles.

Once counter-missiles start becoming as large and expensive as normal missiles, a new concept emerges. Use the normal missiles as long-range counter-missiles with the "leakers" continuing onwards to strike their primary targets (ie, the enemy ships). The downside is that this then turns slugging matches into little more than "biggest magazines win".

My belief is that it is not the counter-missile itself that needs improving, it is the tactical doctrine which requires attention.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by MaxxQ   » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:15 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

BrigadeΔ wrote:What about if you took a last gen. Capital ship single drive missile, stacked a couple of CM's on top of it with thrusters to push them away so there is no wedge interference and stuff the assembly into a missule pod or missile tube designed for an MDM, the MDM missile body is much bigger then the SDM missile body giving you space in the tubes, you could probably do the same thing with MK 16's and MK 50's. You could use apollo drones possibly with some modifications to provide control links positioning them 9 million kilometers out and maybe 150,000 to 300,000 kilometers off the missile flight leading to 1 to 1.5 seconds of one way control link delay and sensors within 1 light second.

Won't work. Clearance for missiles between the missile body and the inner wall of the missile tube is only a centimeter or two. Otherwise, one could fire smaller missiles from larger tubes, and that doesn't happen - missile tubes are designed to fit closely around the missile they are designed to launch, with tight tolerances.

I have some older art with a missile that is a few cm smaller in diameter than another. They both use the same tube because there's a sleeve attached to the smaller diameter missile to bring at least the center section *up* to the same size as the other missile.
Post by exiledtoIA   » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:18 pm

exiledtoIA
Lieutenant Commander

Ah I see your point. However we are not using two seperate capacitor banks for the drives.
We use the same capacitor bank just recharge them in flight.

San Martin hampsters in exercise wheels connected to generators. For the overdrive setting the SM Hamsters are given pixie stixs.

crewdude48 wrote:
exiledtoIA wrote:Brigade and JeffEngle: Have you been hacking into classified document storage again.
You have just revealed the basics of the Atl-Atl system.
A standard Apollo pod with the warheads removed and ERIM's replacing them.
As for the pearls....
At one time it was impossible to build a DualDrive Missile. Why can't two or more Countermissile drives be fitted onto one frame? It would be bigger than a standard CM but hey aren't the 16's and 23's bigger than the missiles preceeding them?

It wouldn't be hard at all to fit a two CM drives onto something the size of a current CM. The problem would be also including capacitors big enough to power the second stage. The most energy intensive part of using an impeller drive is initial drive activation. after it is activated, it draws a huge amount of its power out of hyperspace or something like that. (RFC has said so.) The reason that the first generation MDMs were so much bigger than old school SDMs was due to the larger capacitor rings more than anything else.

Personally, I suspect that it would be possible, using current Manticoran tech, to extend the ranges of CMs to upwards of 5 Mkm without to much more work or upsizing them to badly, and with out the need to initialize a second wedge. However, at that point (again according to David Weber) the light speed delay of information from the ship to the missile will be just too long for the missile to be effective enough to bother using. Due to the extreme speed and maneuverability of their targets, CMs need more hand holding than attack missiles do. The acceleration differential between attack missiles and CMs is so very much smaller than the difference between target ships and attack missiles after all.

That is why I suspect that the next evolution in active defense will be the above mentioned 5 Mkm CM with a very simple gravity receiver in the aft end. This will allow a shorter two way control loop at 5 Mkm than current CMs at their 3 Mkm range. These, coupled with the Naginata drones some forumites have developed, would be a huge boon to fleet defense.
Post by BrigadeΔ   » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:55 pm

BrigadeΔ
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

MaxxQ wrote:
BrigadeΔ wrote:What about if you took a last gen. Capital ship single drive missile, stacked a couple of CM's on top of it with thrusters to push them away so there is no wedge interference and stuff the assembly into a missule pod or missile tube designed for an MDM, the MDM missile body is much bigger then the SDM missile body giving you space in the tubes, you could probably do the same thing with MK 16's and MK 50's. You could use apollo drones possibly with some modifications to provide control links positioning them 9 million kilometers out and maybe 150,000 to 300,000 kilometers off the missile flight leading to 1 to 1.5 seconds of one way control link delay and sensors within 1 light second.

Won't work. Clearance for missiles between the missile body and the inner wall of the missile tube is only a centimeter or two. Otherwise, one could fire smaller missiles from larger tubes, and that doesn't happen - missile tubes are designed to fit closely around the missile they are designed to launch, with tight tolerances.

I have some older art with a missile that is a few cm smaller in diameter than another. They both use the same tube because there's a sleeve attached to the smaller diameter missile to bring at least the center section *up* to the same size as the other missile.

So missile diameter for missiles of the same type is not standardized? Mk 16's tubes will not fit mk 50's? I thought that the missiles were the same diameter but just longer to allow for multiple drives but I can not remember anything in the textev to say how wide a mk 16 is I think that OBS says exactly how big a mk 50 is and I assumed that they took the same general missile and shoved more drives on the back to give it range, even if they are different sizes couldn't you take a mk 16 sized drive section bolt some capacitators onto it and add a few CM's on the front, probably in a fairing to give it the right size, and fire it out of the same tube though it would only be used by screening units against pod salvos.
Post by WilliamHall   » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:54 pm

WilliamHall
Ensign

I wonder if a possible improvement could be found using somewhat unrelated improvements. Like the general ideas behind Forrakers donkey. Beamed power to tractored PDCs? Move the last ditch defense systems out from the ships?
Post by The E   » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:05 am

The E
Admiral

WilliamHall wrote:I wonder if a possible improvement could be found using somewhat unrelated improvements. Like the general ideas behind Forrakers donkey. Beamed power to tractored PDCs? Move the last ditch defense systems out from the ships?

Yes, a platform that sits outside of the wedge and which can carry a useful amount of PDLCs is a great idea.

And while you're at it, you can stuff fire control links and sensors on it, which would allow you to look and shoot past your wedge while rolled on the side relative to the target.

I think "Keyhole" would be a good name for it, right?

(The problem is that I think increasing the last-ditch defences is reaching diminishing returns; Every piece of defensive tech you mount on the ships decreases the amount of offensive equipment it can carry. The way forward seems to be to push the defensive perimeter outward, and towed platforms like Donkeys or Keyhole just can't get an amount of separation from their motherships that is aiding in that regard)
Post by JeffEngel   » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:10 am

JeffEngel
Admiral

The E wrote:
WilliamHall wrote:I wonder if a possible improvement could be found using somewhat unrelated improvements. Like the general ideas behind Forrakers donkey. Beamed power to tractored PDCs? Move the last ditch defense systems out from the ships?

Yes, a platform that sits outside of the wedge and which can carry a useful amount of PDLCs is a great idea.

And while you're at it, you can stuff fire control links and sensors on it, which would allow you to look and shoot past your wedge while rolled on the side relative to the target.

(The problem is that I think increasing the last-ditch defences is reaching diminishing returns; Every piece of defensive tech you mount on the ships decreases the amount of offensive equipment it can carry. The way forward seems to be to push the defensive perimeter outward, and towed platforms like Donkeys or Keyhole just can't get an amount of separation from their motherships that is aiding in that regard)

Offenses have jumped up by leaps and bounds. Destroyers are killing battlecruisers, quickly. It's really quite all right to decrease offensive capability quite a bit for more defenses, if you can get a good enough deal on the exchange.

But that's the rub - the extreme missile ranges have come to mean a long while to see the threat coming and only a tiny amount of time to do stuff about it, because the active "hard" defenses - the ones that straight-up kill the incoming missiles - have limited range and the missiles cross that range so quickly.

Keyhole systems do help. Longer ranged CM's do too. Less dependent CM's would. And an anti-missile screen - nowadays, LAC's, Katanas better than anything else - gives you more interception opportunities. But maybe the defensive deal would be better with more "soft" defenses - decoys and ECM that send missiles out against things other than their proper targets. The short engagement time and longer observation time would respectively not hinder and actively assist that form of defense, and in a way, the way Keyhole developed sort of drew off work on better decoys. It'd be good to get back on that.
Post by Kytheros   » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:16 am

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

JeffEngel wrote:
The E wrote:

Offenses have jumped up by leaps and bounds. Destroyers are killing battlecruisers, quickly. It's really quite all right to decrease offensive capability quite a bit for more defenses, if you can get a good enough deal on the exchange.

But that's the rub - the extreme missile ranges have come to mean a long while to see the threat coming and only a tiny amount of time to do stuff about it, because the active "hard" defenses - the ones that straight-up kill the incoming missiles - have limited range and the missiles cross that range so quickly.

Keyhole systems do help. Longer ranged CM's do too. Less dependent CM's would. And an anti-missile screen - nowadays, LAC's, Katanas better than anything else - gives you more interception opportunities. But maybe the defensive deal would be better with more "soft" defenses - decoys and ECM that send missiles out against things other than their proper targets. The short engagement time and longer observation time would respectively not hinder and actively assist that form of defense, and in a way, the way Keyhole developed sort of drew off work on better decoys. It'd be good to get back on that.

I believe that's more or less what the "Lorelei" drones RFC's mentioned a few times are supposed to be doing, though I think they may also be more resilient than traditional decoy systems.

The combination of Keyhole, offbore tubes/pods, and Ghost Rider-derived recon drones also lets you orient your ship such that your wedge is positioned to take the brunt of fire, forcing the only shots a laserhead can take to be snap shots at high angles of deflection, and stay like that unless you're trying to accelerate mostly towards or away from, the enemy, while still being able to fire accurately at the enemy. Of course, this works best when the enemy is only in one direction.

Return to Honorverse