Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 128 guests

Oops

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Oops
Post by ericth   » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:31 pm

ericth
Commander

cthia wrote:Alright alright!

I'll tell y'all what she did.

She uploaded a Microsoft update. That's a guarantee to phuck-up all systems for certain!

Actually, I know what it was:
She smuggled barflies onto each ship. Then her ops plans sent each of them a text message about one of the unanswered questions on the bar and when their heads exploded the ships went with them. :-)
Post by cthia   » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:41 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Stupid StateSec didn't change the password that everyone knew...

"Citizen Admiral says, self-destruct."

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Theemile   » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:40 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Stupid StateSec didn't change the password that everyone knew...

"1-2-3-4-5?"
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by munroburton   » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:38 am

munroburton
Admiral

Theemile wrote:

"1-2-3-4-5?"

citizenpassword1
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:58 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

clancy688 wrote:
Joat42 wrote:The recent exploit of BMW cars with open http-servers on the built in WiFi says otherwise. :)

Which is exactly my point. They could unlock the car. They could not lock the brakes. Or steer the car. Or whatever which is safety critical.

I stated that they couldn't hack the WiFi and lock the brakes. I didn't state that they couldn't hack the WiFi. Of course you can break into the cellular network of a car. But even if you can, you can't access driving systems, because these are (supposed to be) physically separated sub-systems with their own control units.
This is from a few years ago, and it's not clear how much of the hacking was actually done through the car's wireless interface. (http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenbe ... eel-video/)

But it's pretty clear evidence that the kind of process separation that you'd expect to find in cars (between entertainment systems, external access systems, and safety critical systems) wasn't properly implemented.

You shouldn't have, or be able to get that kind of access remotely. But sadly that often doesn't mean you can't.
Post by Kytheros   » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:27 am

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

Theemile wrote:

"1-2-3-4-5?"

"qwerty"
"password"
"asecurepassword"
Post by SharkHunter   » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:27 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

I have lots of thought-they-were-funny answers that on second thought were rather lame, so here's my thought. A command sequence that tells one reactor "hey, battle damage has taken reactor X down, send your power output to missile bank X to power them up". With all of the reactors on an SD sending too much output to the nukes in the tubes, bad things are going to happen nearly instantly.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by clancy688   » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:06 pm

clancy688
Captain of the List

munroburton wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus

Everything in a modern, mid to high-end car is hooked to the CAN bus, right down to the interior lamp. This is partly because the CAN bus also serves as the power supply infrastructure and reduced wiring equals reduced weight equals reduced emissions. Anything that is operated by a wire - and that includes the throttle these days, at least on DERVs - could receive inserted signals.

I know the CAN bus. I'm a software engineer working in the automotive field. I even have programmed a WiFi-to-CAN driver at one point in my career (no, that thing didn't go into a car... it was for something else), so I probably know more about the thing than you do. ;)

There may be several CAN buses in a car. Plus control units are usually encapsulated devices. Trust me, without physically interfacing with these devices, you can't "hack" the controller which is interfacing the bus.

Of course you can physically connect yourself to the bus and send whatever you want. But you can't do it over WiFi.
Post by Rob the Fiend   » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:36 pm

Rob the Fiend
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

clancy688 wrote:
munroburton wrote:

Everything in a modern, mid to high-end car is hooked to the CAN bus, right down to the interior lamp. This is partly because the CAN bus also serves as the power supply infrastructure and reduced wiring equals reduced weight equals reduced emissions. Anything that is operated by a wire - and that includes the throttle these days, at least on DERVs - could receive inserted signals.

I know the CAN bus. I'm a software engineer working in the automotive field. I even have programmed a WiFi-to-CAN driver at one point in my career (no, that thing didn't go into a car... it was for something else), so I probably know more about the thing than you do. ;)

There may be several CAN buses in a car. Plus control units are usually encapsulated devices. Trust me, without physically interfacing with these devices, you can't "hack" the controller which is interfacing the bus.

Of course you can physically connect yourself to the bus and send whatever you want. But you can't do it over WiFi.

You mean that Hollywood has it wrong? :o ;) ;)
Post by Kytheros   » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:46 pm

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

clancy688 wrote:
munroburton wrote:

Car computer control systems are not designed for security. And everything is connected on the same network - and they're designed to be accessible by maintenance or support personnel to check to see if things are working, and/or automatically send information about performance and maintenance concerns to the owner's device of choice, and some allow for remote access by things like OnStar, and its competitors/equivalent services, much less things like remote starter apps.

All of which means that if somebody really wants to own a modern car through the integrated wifi or bluetooth, they can, assuming they have the technical know how. Which is a frankly terrifying possibility.

There was even a segment on either the PBS News Hour or 60 Minutes (can't remember which offhand), where this was demonstrated.

It's not as easy as Hollywood makes it out to be, no, but neither is it as difficult as we'd like it to be.

Return to Honorverse