Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 113 guests

The Battle of Darius - What would you say?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: The Battle of Darius - What would you say?
Post by Bill Woods   » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:05 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

McGuiness wrote:
saber964 wrote:After evacuating all the slaves off planet.

"Initiate Operation Billiard Ball", as Sorrow Singer presses the button.
I like the final result, but unfortunately sorting out two billion "relatively innocent" slaves who serve as the fanatically dedicated workforce for their genetically superior masters isn't possible. They'd pose a threat to the galaxy as long as they and their descendants survived, which would be forever. Avoid creating generations of terrorists and simply kill them all.
"Fanatically dedicated"? Why would they be? Their situation is less sucky than slaves elsewhere, but I don't see why they'd be loyal to their masters -- particularly after they've had a chance to learn how they've been misled all their lives.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:55 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

“Listen my children, and you shall hear, of the midnight ride of Paula Revere..."

"Run! The bitch is off her meds!"

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by pappilon   » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:57 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Bill Woods wrote: "Fanatically dedicated"? Why would they be? Their situation is less sucky than slaves elsewhere, but I don't see why they'd be loyal to their masters -- particularly after they've had a chance to learn how they've been misled all their lives.

To misquote a line about swords and plough shares The most ardent fanatic is a slave who has been taught from the cradle that he is a free man.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Eagleeye   » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:57 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

"Necessity exists."

Ok, that quote comes from the Liaden universe - but somehow, it seem to fit, doesn't it? ;)
Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:18 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Eagleeye wrote:"Necessity exists."

Ok, that quote comes from the Liaden universe - but somehow, it seem to fit, doesn't it? ;)

I'm not sure there will actually be a battle there. First, it has to be found.

Second, a bit of evidence of criminality would have to exist and that might not happen. You have to figure the Dets will figure out new ways to hide things. Maybe do a lot of their criminality on another planet.

Yes, there might be a lot of R & D on the planet, but that can happen anywhere. And it would not be hard to Houdini a lot of people to another planet, perhaps a resort-style one, to quietly do more work.
Post by pappilon   » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:47 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:I'm not sure there will actually be a battle there. First, it has to be found.

Second, a bit of evidence of criminality would have to exist and that might not happen. You have to figure the Dets will figure out new ways to hide things. Maybe do a lot of their criminality on another planet.

Yes, there might be a lot of R & D on the planet, but that can happen anywhere. And it would not be hard to Houdini a lot of people to another planet, perhaps a resort-style one, to quietly do more work.

Yes indeedy, R&D can be done anywhere. Fabrication, docking facilities,crew housing, ec. also have to be done somewhere. One cannot be parking ships with no hammerheads in orbit around a resort-style planet. Kind of difficult to hide heavy indutry modules and ship slips in orbit. And you need the labor force. Darius is the labor force. Darius orbit is that out of the way place nobody goes.

One day the RMS Hansel and her consort the RMS Gretel will follow all the cookie crumbs from Mannerheim to Darius.

Sorry, but the MAlign and the Detweillers represent a boil on the backside of humanity that must be lanced. Unfortunately, like all bad ideas it will never go away completely.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by JohnRoth   » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:26 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

pappilon wrote:

ldwechsler wrote:I'm not sure there will actually be a battle there. First, it has to be found.

Yes indeedy, R&D can be done anywhere. Fabrication, docking facilities,crew housing, ec. also have to be done somewhere. One cannot be parking ships with no hammerheads in orbit around a resort-style planet. Kind of difficult to hide heavy indutry modules and ship slips in orbit. And you need the labor force. Darius is the labor force. Darius orbit is that out of the way place nobody goes.

One day the RMS Hansel and her consort the RMS Gretel will follow all the cookie crumbs from Mannerheim to Darius.

Sorry, but the MAlign and the Detweillers represent a boil on the backside of humanity that must be lanced. Unfortunately, like all bad ideas it will never go away completely.

There are no cookie crumbs from Mannerheim to Darius. Transit between the two is via the Felix junction. Security to keep the physical location of Darius from leaking is probably similar to, or better than, that used for Bolthole. The MAlign, after all, doesn't seem to have a problem with making anyone who has that secret fall over dead if they're about to talk about it to someone who isn't cleared to know it.
Post by n7axw   » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:40 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:How about:

"We have come to arrest Albrecht Detweiller and the rest of the inner core of the Mesan Alignment to stand trial for aggravated crimes against humanity. Hand them over and stand down your weaponry, and nobody needs to get hurt.

"If you don't, may God have mercy on your souls, for I most assuredly will not."

Just a nit...Albrecht is already dead...

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by JohnRoth   » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:48 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

n7axw wrote:

"We have come to arrest Albrecht Detweiller and the rest of the inner core of the Mesan Alignment to stand trial for aggravated crimes against humanity. Hand them over and stand down your weaponry, and nobody needs to get hurt.

"If you don't, may God have mercy on your souls, for I most assuredly will not."

Don

-

I wrote that on Mar 25, 2015. Shadow of Victory, which includes Albrecht's death, was published on Nov 1, 2016.
Post by Thunder Child Actual   » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:36 pm

Thunder Child Actual
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

n7axw wrote:

Don

-

Yes, but Manticore does not know that he is dead. If they discover the existence of Darius and anything about the leadership of the MA they might assume that Albrecht got off of Mensa before Houdini. Thus their calls for him to be handed over. As the MA can not do that at this point I could see Manticore glassing the planet after their refusal to surrender him, just to avoid anymore MA tricks.

Return to Honorverse