Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 159 guests

The Battle of Darius - What would you say?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: The Battle of Darius - What would you say?
Post by cthia   » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:00 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

We have crossed the surly bonds of space to find you.
We shall kill you too dead for hell.
One man dreamed of peace.
His peace shall begin now, with your nightmare.

We shall set fire even unto your ashes.
But you will never be forgotten
For they will burn in our hearts forever.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by StealthSeeker   » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:31 am

StealthSeeker
Commander

Protector Benjamin Mayhew or Abigail Hearns:

Over the centuries you have inflicted on us your test of deceit, murder and war in an attempt to destroy the foundation and freedom of our unchained humanity. Today, unless you immediately and unconditionally surrender, we shall bring our test to you.

(more of what I had in mind)
-
-
I think therefore I am.... I think
Post by cthia   » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:48 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

It was determined before leaving the Haven system that a single representative from each Alliance government shall be predisposed to speak to the accused of Darius. One of the most profound has come from Samantha. Translated over comms...
< For many risings of the orbal light in the sky that gives warmth, we the People have observed the two-legs called human. We were vigilant. We were cautious. We persevered not to quickly judge and not to hastefully make decision to communicate. One female two-leg was instrumental in helping the People cross that bridge far enough to see the good in two-legs. We have also seen the bad, and we sing of that too. But we have also learned of two-leg justice and of this we are eternally grateful. But for none are we more grateful than the two-leg idea of morals, scruples, values, responsibility and peace.

Therefore, we the People agree it apropos to use an adaptation of an old two-leg parchment which encompasses those values, as it so closely embodies that of the People.

IN CONGRESS, July 4, 1776.

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for the People to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all People are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these fellow Alliances; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present rulers of the Grand Alliance is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an anti-tyrannical State. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

You have decimated an entire clan. (tears of memory)

Your deaths shall not begin to repay that debt, but we the People shall accept it as a down payment. The death of any survivors away from the system shall be accepted as final payment.

Bleek! >

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by George J. Smith   » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:12 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

cthia wrote:It was determined before leaving the Haven system that a single representative from each Alliance government shall be predisposed to speak to the accused of Darius. One of the most profound has come from Samantha. Translated over comms...
< For many risings of the orbal light in the sky that gives warmth, we the People have observed the two-legs called human. We were vigilant. We were cautious. We persevered not to quickly judge and not to hastefully make decision to communicate. One female two-leg was instrumental in helping the People cross that bridge far enough to see the good in two-legs. We have also seen the bad, and we sing of that too. But we have also learned of two-leg justice and of this we are eternally grateful. But for none are we more grateful than the two-leg idea of morals, scruples, values, responsibility and peace.

Therefore, we the People agree it apropos to use an adaptation of an old two-leg parchment which encompasses those values, as it so closely embodies that of the People.

IN CONGRESS, July 4, 1776.

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for the People to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all People are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these fellow Alliances; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present rulers of the Grand Alliance is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an anti-tyrannical State. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

You have decimated an entire clan. (tears of memory)

Your deaths shall not begin to repay that debt, but we the People shall accept it as a down payment. The death of any survivors away from the system shall be accepted as final payment.

Bleek! >

Cthia, minor nit, decimate means 1 in 10, annihilated would be more appropriate
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by cthia   » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:27 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:Cthia, minor nit, decimate means 1 in 10, annihilated would be more appropriate

Annihilate is inappropriate, as there was at least a single survivor of the Black Rock clan, IIRC.

annihilate
VERB
destroy utterly; obliterate:

Whereas...

decimate
VERB
1.kill, destroy, or remove a large percentage or part of:

"the project would decimate the fragile wetland wilderness."

Is a tad bit more accurate reporting. You are considering the historical, secondary meaning.

Post by SWM   » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:24 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

<enters the system playing Wagner>
I shall kill him with my spear and magic helmet!
Magic helmet?
Magic Helmet!!
Magic helmet...
Yes, Magic Helmet! And I will give you a sample!
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by John Prigent   » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:55 am

John Prigent
Captain of the List

Followed by Bugs Bunny on a horse?
Cheers
John

SWM wrote:<enters the system playing Wagner>
I shall kill him with my spear and magic helmet!
Magic helmet?
Magic Helmet!!
Magic helmet...
Yes, Magic Helmet! And I will give you a sample!
Post by JohnRoth   » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:05 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

How about:

"We have come to arrest Albrecht Detweiller and the rest of the inner core of the Mesan Alignment to stand trial for aggravated crimes against humanity. Hand them over and stand down your weaponry, and nobody needs to get hurt.

"If you don't, may God have mercy on your souls, for I most assuredly will not."
Re: The Battle of Darius - who commands Home Fleet?
Post by SharkHunter   » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:21 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Without snipping the appropriate bits, I know who I want to be in command of Home Fleet while the other admirals get to go play. He's had a major role in commanding the forces that saved a few folk's keister(s) so that those folks could win battles later in the same book(s), but isn't one of the thought of regulars...

I'll start by saying that I think Admiral Higgins deserves the opportunity to be command of one of the mobile fleets, finally getting to kick some a-- of folks who really really deserve it. Same with Genevieve Chin, who has been on the s--- end of the stick through no fault of her own a couple of times. So in my book he's not available to take the call.

Michel Reynaud, of ACS. Deserved promotion to Full Admiral and an opportunity to be close in and take care of his home planets. Thoughts?
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Re: The Battle of Darius - who commands Home Fleet?
Post by munroburton   » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:08 pm

munroburton
Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:Michel Reynaud, of ACS. Deserved promotion to Full Admiral and an opportunity to be close in and take care of his home planets. Thoughts?

Try again. Despite the military ranks, ACS is a civilian organisation, entirely separate from the RMN. Reynaud has never commanded a warship, let alone a fleet.

Return to Honorverse