Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 127 guests

The Battle of Darius - What would you say?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: The Battle of Darius - What would you say?
Post by Tom   » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:49 pm

Tom
Ensign

I am not entirely sure that Honor Harrington will be the one sending the message.
Much more likely:

Jeremy X, standing on the bridge of the CLAC Toussaint L'Ouverture: "I saved the last dance for you."
Post by munroburton   » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:00 am

munroburton
Admiral

Tom wrote:I am not entirely sure that Honor Harrington will be the one sending the message.
Much more likely:

Jeremy X, standing on the bridge of the CLAC Toussaint L'Ouverture: "I saved the last dance for you."

This series isn't called the Jeremyverse. It'd be odd to end it without involving the eponymous heroine. :roll:

I think if it came down to it, Honor would call in every favour, play every card and pull every string she had in order to get command of the "Final Attack on the Alignment" mission. But she's already the prime choice to command it, unless the Alignment war lasts so long that other GA flag officers become more acceptable to all GA members.

BobG wrote:
cthia wrote:I wasn't such a huge fan of Babylon 5, but my brothers and sisters thought it the cat's meow.

From references on this forum alone, I've stated that it seems I've cheated myself.

IMHO, Babylon 5 (the first 4 seasons, anyway) was the best SF drama on the small screen. It's been a while since I watched it. I guess I'll have to pull out the DVDs and watch it again.

Susan Ivanova: Lennier, get us the hell out of here!

Lennier: Initiating "getting the hell out of here" maneuver.

And Walter Koenig in one of the creepest roles ever.

-- Bob G

Like any long-running sci-fi shows, B5 has its share of good and bad and kooky episodes. The issues with season five(and to a lesser extent, four) were mainly due to the show being cancelled, forcing them to wrap the last two seasons' storylines up in one. Then just before they'd finished making season four, the cancellation was cancelled and they had to come up with a whole new season plot, losing a major cast member in the process. IMO, it's definitely worth watching at least once - skipping the episodes like Grey 17 Is Missing once you know to avoid them. ;)
Post by Tom   » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:38 pm

Tom
Ensign

munroburton wrote:
Tom wrote:I am not entirely sure that Honor Harrington will be the one sending the message.
Much more likely:

This series isn't called the Jeremyverse. It'd be odd to end it without involving the eponymous heroine. :roll:

I think if it came down to it, Honor would call in every favour, play every card and pull every string she had in order to get command of the "Final Attack on the Alignment" mission. But she's already the prime choice to command it, unless the Alignment war lasts so long that other GA flag officers become more acceptable to all GA members.

Oh, that Honor would be in command is unquestionable. However, I think she might be willing to cede one-liner privileges to Jeremy X.
Post by kenl511   » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:46 pm

kenl511
Captain (Junior Grade)

[quote="munroburton] Like any long-running sci-fi shows, B5 has its share of good and bad and kooky episodes. The issues with season five(and to a lesser extent, four) were mainly due to the show being cancelled, forcing them to wrap the last two seasons' storylines up in one. Then just before they'd finished making season four, the cancellation was cancelled and they had to come up with a whole new season plot, losing a major cast member in the process. IMO, it's definitely worth watching at least once - skipping the episodes like Grey 17 Is Missing once you know to avoid them. ;)[/quote]

Oh, but Grey 17 is missing has my favorite fight scene in it! Neroon and Marcus go at it, to the death.

Delenn: What are you doing here? Haven't you done enough?
Neroon: I wish to speak to him, Warrior to Warrior.
Lennier: He is unconscious, he will not hear you.
Neroon: Then I will speak briefly.

After Neroon delivers his speech to Marcus,

"Next time you wish an epiphany, could you choose a way that is not quite so uncomfortable?"
Post by StealthSeeker   » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:17 am

StealthSeeker
Commander

Admiral Thomas Theisman:

I have dreamed of peace all my life and today I shall achieve a measure of that peace through either your surrender or your death. You have 5 minutes to choose which.
-
-
I think therefore I am.... I think
Post by cthia   » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:14 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

StealthSeeker wrote:Admiral Thomas Theisman:

I have dreamed of peace all my life and today I shall achieve a measure of that peace through either your surrender or your death. You have 5 minutes to choose which.

I like this, and the idea of it chokes me up.

However, we cannot discount or underestimate the psychological ramifications of the MALign hearing the Salamander at the end of the opening two-way communication. *Remember, they've been following her career, and they know exactly what she's capable of.

But. Who is going to be left home to mind the store? The general consensus is it's not going to happen, but we cannot leave the Home system undefended from another possible SLN attack? The RMN cannot make the mistake again of thinking an entity they're at war with will not roll the dice that way.

*Which is what leads me to believe that Darius is somewhere in the Haven system, because everyone in the Haven system has heard of the Salamander, and only some place relatively nearby, intuitively, can the MALign have kept an eagle eye, a shark's radar(pun intended) and an *Emperor penguin's ear to things.

*The Emperor penguin. When the mother returns from sea, she has to identify the sound of her chick amidst the cacophony of noise created by thousands of birds. The chick can be anywhere as it is not sitting in a nest. It is astonishing.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by SWM   » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:29 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
StealthSeeker wrote:Admiral Thomas Theisman:

I like this, and the idea of it chokes me up.

However, we cannot discount or underestimate the psychological ramifications of the MALign hearing the Salamander at the end of the opening two-way communication. *Remember, they've been following her career, and they know exactly what she's capable of.

But. Who is going to be left home to mind the store? The general consensus is it's not going to happen, but we cannot leave the Home system undefended from another possible SLN attack? The RMN cannot make the mistake again of thinking an entity they're at war with will not roll the dice that way.

Of course there will still be ships at home--Home Fleet. Honor is in command of the Grand Alliance Fleet. Someone else is now in charge of the Home Fleet. I don't recall if we've been told who it is.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by munroburton   » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:10 am

munroburton
Admiral

SWM wrote:
cthia wrote:I like this, and the idea of it chokes me up.

Of course there will still be ships at home--Home Fleet. Honor is in command of the Grand Alliance Fleet. Someone else is now in charge of the Home Fleet. I don't recall if we've been told who it is.

Allen Higgins was Home Fleet CO during the Yawata Strike. I don't think he's been replaced, although he didn't appear on-page during Filareta's fiasco.
Post by roseandheather   » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:13 am

roseandheather
Admiral

SWM wrote:Of course there will still be ships at home--Home Fleet. Honor is in command of the Grand Alliance Fleet. Someone else is now in charge of the Home Fleet. I don't recall if we've been told who it is.

Last we heard, it was the love of my life - I mean, Allen Higgins. But I don't mind telling you, I very much hope Allen is not the one left home to mind the store when they make their final attack run. After everything that man has been through, he deserves to be on the business end of the missiles that take down the MAlign for good.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by cthia   » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:30 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
SWM wrote:Of course there will still be ships at home--Home Fleet. Honor is in command of the Grand Alliance Fleet. Someone else is now in charge of the Home Fleet. I don't recall if we've been told who it is.

Last we heard, it was the love of my life - I mean, Allen Higgins. But I don't mind telling you, I very much hope Allen is not the one left home to mind the store when they make their final attack run. After everything that man has been through, he deserves to be on the business end of the missiles that take down the MAlign for good.

That's my point. Every body that is any body is going to want a formal invitation to this particular dinner party.

Somebody, not just any body, needs to remain at home--no, needs to be left at home ( :lol:), because no one is going to want to volunteer the boring D'Orville like job) to mind the store.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse