Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests

The Battle of Darius - What would you say?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: The Battle of Darius - What would you say?
Post by Daryl   » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:03 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

"Good Morning. I am Alliance Grand Fleet Commander Admiral Honor Harrington. We are here to make the universe a better place by destroying your military capability. Our intention is to uphold civilized rules of engagement, so we therefore insist that you surrender immediately to ensure no lives are lost unnecessarily."

"Oops, who pressed that button?"

Long pause ****

"Must have been the same person who pressed Filarta's button?"

"Oh well, that certainly simplifies things".
Post by jchilds   » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:45 am

jchilds
Captain of the List

Not sure on the exact wording, but I'd probably make sure it was from the flag deck of a Beowulfan ship and that any words for posterity made sure to mention that the MAlign, as Beowulf's rabid dog, was being put down by Beowulf and her like-minded allies for as many violations of Beowulfan laws and Code as could be made to stick. But I can be a little petty on occasion.
Post by Bill Woods   » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:38 am

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

Valen123456 wrote:Imagine this scenario.

Darius, the effective secret capital of the Mesan Alignment, is quietly going about its business, ships are under construction, science is being done, plans are being made, and the Alignment builds its strength for the coming conquest.

Then a massive hyper-footprint lights up the system, a huge fleet has dropped in out of no-where. They are accelerating far to fast to be anyone but the Alignments most hated and feared opponents. They (through some probably unlikely circumstances and a lot of narrative causality) have found their opponents secret refuge.

Only a single message from the fleets vengeful commander ("the handmaiden of death" herself) is transmitted before the firestorm hits.

What, in those circumstances, would you say if you were the one who sent the message?
Well,
If I may suggest: 'This time it's personal.' I mean, there's a reason why it's a classic.

Or "Thy Dastardly Doings Are Past." (Which sounds like it's a quote from something, but I don't know what.)
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by John Prigent   » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:21 am

John Prigent
Captain of the List

Perhaps including the immortal phrase 'do you feel lucky?' or even 'go ahead, make my day'?
Cheers
John

jchilds wrote:Not sure on the exact wording, but I'd probably make sure it was from the flag deck of a Beowulfan ship and that any words for posterity made sure to mention that the MAlign, as Beowulf's rabid dog, was being put down by Beowulf and her like-minded allies for as many violations of Beowulfan laws and Code as could be made to stick. But I can be a little petty on occasion.
Post by Andy33   » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:23 am

Andy33
Ensign

All this is very well, but can you really see Honor, of all people, killing the huge number of genetic slaves on Darius who quite obviously have no part in framing MAlign policy. She's got to call for the planet to surrender without sending half the Mesa Alignment Navy or the space stations crashing onto the planetary surface.
Post by John Prigent   » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:23 am

John Prigent
Captain of the List

Perhaps including the immortal phrase 'do you feel lucky?' or even 'go ahead, make my day'?
Cheers
John

jchilds wrote:Not sure on the exact wording, but I'd probably make sure it was from the flag deck of a Beowulfan ship and that any words for posterity made sure to mention that the MAlign, as Beowulf's rabid dog, was being put down by Beowulf and her like-minded allies for as many violations of Beowulfan laws and Code as could be made to stick. But I can be a little petty on occasion.
Post by John Prigent   » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:23 am

John Prigent
Captain of the List

Cheers
John

Post by cthia   » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:13 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Andy33 wrote:All this is very well, but can you really see Honor, of all people, killing the huge number of genetic slaves on Darius who quite obviously have no part in framing MAlign policy. She's got to call for the planet to surrender without sending half the Mesa Alignment Navy or the space stations crashing onto the planetary surface.

You may surrender, but be advised, you will be turned over to the People.

Be further advised that the treecats whose clan members you killed refer to themselves as the People.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Hutch   » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:32 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Andy33 wrote:All this is very well, but can you really see Honor, of all people, killing the huge number of genetic slaves on Darius who quite obviously have no part in framing MAlign policy. She's got to call for the planet to surrender without sending half the Mesa Alignment Navy or the space stations crashing onto the planetary surface.

Quite right, Andy.

I see more of:
This is Grand Admiral Honor Harrington of the Grand Alliance. Cease all military and space-based activities now or we will do it for you.

I have no wish to kill anyone without a full inquiry and trial, but whatever may come, it ends now.

Besides, don't you want to see here confront the Detweilers face to face?
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by HB of CJ   » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:08 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

Nothing is said. Let the guns do the talking. HB of CJ (old coot)

Return to Honorverse