Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests

The Battle of Darius - What would you say?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: The Battle of Darius - What would you say?
Post by JohnRoth   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:04 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:How about:

"We have come to arrest Albrecht Detweiller and the rest of the inner core of the Mesan Alignment to stand trial for aggravated crimes against humanity. Hand them over and stand down your weaponry, and nobody needs to get hurt.

"If you don't, may God have mercy on your souls, for I most assuredly will not."

n7axw wrote:Just a nit...Albrecht is already dead...

Don

-

Thunder Child Actual wrote:
Yes, but Manticore does not know that he is dead. If they discover the existence of Darius and anything about the leadership of the MA they might assume that Albrecht got off of Mensa before Houdini. Thus their calls for him to be handed over. As the MA can not do that at this point I could see Manticore glassing the planet after their refusal to surrender him, just to avoid anymore MA tricks.

Actually, unless there's some text in UA, Manticore doesn't know about any of the Detweillers. The scenes in SoV with Firebrand and Colin were written specifically to show that Colin was not giving Firebrand his name; the scene in the draft chapter where Firebrand gets adopted is thus a continuity error.

Given that there's 20+ years between the end of the war with the Solarian Union and the discovery of Darius, a lot can happen.
Post by n7axw   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:12 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Manticore is not going to gas anybody's planet. Period.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by SYED   » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:04 am

SYED
Rear Admiral

Where exactly is Darius? It was said to be in the verge, yet unknown to the league, so either very distant or in a region barely surveyed. With the alliance kind of dominating the terminii, and the league loosing power in the verge. I could see over time ships traveling the long route to Darius rather that via terminii. So co ordinates will begin to leak.

The thing is just like how Mesa was ar torch, I could see outposts set near the terminii of the Felix junction, to better monitor the region. That will eventually draw out the alliance going after slavers.
Post by phillies   » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:10 am

phillies
Admiral

One might propose that the folks running Darius would want to set up a bolthole, say, several thousand light years farther out from Earth, in an area rich with type G stars and habitable planets and no noticeable wormholes.

SYED wrote:Where exactly is Darius? It was said to be in the verge, yet unknown to the league, so either very distant or in a region barely surveyed. With the alliance kind of dominating the terminii, and the league loosing power in the verge. I could see over time ships traveling the long route to Darius rather that via terminii. So co ordinates will begin to leak.

The thing is just like how Mesa was ar torch, I could see outposts set near the terminii of the Felix junction, to better monitor the region. That will eventually draw out the alliance going after slavers.
Post by Eagleeye   » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:54 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

phillies wrote:One might propose that the folks running Darius would want to set up a bolthole, say, several thousand light years farther out from Earth, in an area rich with type G stars and habitable planets and no noticeable wormholes.

Several hundred lightyears, maybe. By the way, this potential bolthole could even be some thousand lightyears away, as long as there is a wormhole around 3- or 400 lightyears from Darius and, say, up to 100 lightyears away from the far end terminus. But without such a wormhole - no. Not even with streak drives you want to make a voyage of several thousand lightyears! After all, you need access to your bolthole in a reasonable timeframe; and even with streak-drive equipped ships you still need time to get messages and/or personal one way or the other.
Post by cthia   » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:17 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I still think Darius is a class of planet in a system much too severe for any but malignant genomes. Could all of the Dariusians have received base modifications to exist on Darius -- a system that no other human in their right mind would even consider visiting even if near it?

Everyone might already know where the system is. It is called the Badlands. Nobody ever wants to go there and see it again. LOL

Our very own UFO base is hidden within Mercury's atmosphere or inner Jupiter, where we can't even get a probe in to see. LOL

Remember, you heard it here first.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by George J. Smith   » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:14 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

cthia wrote:I still think Darius is a class of planet in a system much too severe for any but malignant genomes. Could all of the Dariusians have received base modifications to exist on Darius -- a system that no other human in their right mind would even consider visiting even if near it?

Everyone might already know where the system is. It is called the Badlands. Nobody ever wants to go there and see it again. LOL

Our very own UFO base is hidden within Mercury's atmosphere or inner Jupiter, where we can't even get a probe in to see. LOL

Wouldn't people engineered to live in such a hostile environment have problems living in a standard environment?

Would the MAlign citizens of Mesa be modified to live on Darius have problems on Mesa if Darius was so different. CoG has Cachat & Zilwiki on Mesa and not having problems, so I doubt the differences between Mesa and Manticore/Haven/Beowulf &etc would be that great.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by cthia   » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:33 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:
cthia wrote:I still think Darius is a class of planet in a system much too severe for any but malignant genomes. Could all of the Dariusians have received base modifications to exist on Darius -- a system that no other human in their right mind would even consider visiting even if near it?

Wouldn't people engineered to live in such a hostile environment have problems living in a standard environment?

Would the MAlign citizens of Mesa be modified to live on Darius have problems on Mesa if Darius was so different. CoG has Cachat & Zilwiki on Mesa and not having problems, so I doubt the differences between Mesa and Manticore/Haven/Beowulf &etc would be that great.

Talking with my friends, we came up with some possibilities. First off, the bulk of Dariusians do not leave the system. Of those that do, might be given adjustments on a regular timeframe to counteract, adjust to, whatever the main alteration. Much like the topical aftermarket tuneup given to Anisimovna's MDD (mental deficit disorder LOL) assistant? I don't know. Something MAlign savvy. I think the main concern would be differences in physical appearances as a result of the particular alteration. "Hey, what is that growing out of your neck?" shrug

At any rate, I think it would depend on many factors that can only be answered by the Malign (or the author by proxy) e.g., the particular mod and the particular environment, length being out of environment, possible topical assistants out of environment. Complementary mods allowing dual coverage, or wider tolerances?

My Romanian friends carried that conversation too high in the cloud for a layman like myself. However, it is an interesting proposition that may allow the Malign to almost live right under noses. And it is hard to keep a tail on streak drives to follow them.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by George J. Smith   » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:49 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

cthia wrote:Talking with my friends, we came up with some possibilities. First off, the bulk of Dariusians do not leave the system. Of those that do, might be given adjustments on a regular timeframe to counteract, adjust to, whatever the main alteration. Much like the topical aftermarket tuneup given to Anisimovna's MDD (mental deficit disorder LOL) assistant? I don't know. Something MAlign savvy. I think the main concern would be differences in physical appearances as a result of the particular alteration. "Hey, what is that growing out of your neck?" shrug

At any rate, I think it would depend on many factors that can only be answered by the Malign (or the author by proxy) e.g., the particular mod and the particular environment, length being out of environment, possible topical assistants out of environment. Complementary mods allowing dual coverage, or wider tolerances?

My Romanian friends carried that conversation too high in the cloud for a layman like myself. However, it is an interesting proposition that may allow the Malign to almost live right under noses. And it is hard to keep a tail on streak drives to follow them.

My point was that Darius cannot be that different from Mesa -and by extension- Manticore/Haven/Beowulf &etc.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by cthia   » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:05 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:

cthia wrote:Talking with my friends, we came up with some possibilities. First off, the bulk of Dariusians do not leave the system. Of those that do, might be given adjustments on a regular timeframe to counteract, adjust to, whatever the main alteration. Much like the topical aftermarket tuneup given to Anisimovna's MDD (mental deficit disorder LOL) assistant? I don't know. Something MAlign savvy. I think the main concern would be differences in physical appearances as a result of the particular alteration. "Hey, what is that growing out of your neck?" shrug

My point was that Darius cannot be that different from Mesa -and by extension- Manticore/Haven/Beowulf &etc.

I'm not disagreeing with you George, in fact I think you have an important point. However, they may be alike in the important areas, if there's a notion, and different in others.

For instance, I'd think the most telling difference which shows up in physical appearance would be huge variations in gravity. If Darius's gravity is "normal" but everything else is severe. Extreme temperatures, low, high, or both simultaneously, low oxygen, poisonous gases, insane weather, strong radiations from some undisclosed source (just guessing for sake of argument)... conditions that may not necessarily alter the physical appearance like high or low grav planets. Everything else insanely unlivable, but repairable with mods.

An additional or highly augmented internal organ may allow breathing in atmospheres only dreamed of by non-malignants. Perhaps the ability to see in other frequencies are needed as well.

My Romanian friends, mostly doctors and surgeons, discussed long ago that in the Honorverse, certainly the Malign, may have found out the defunct use of the gall bladder, the appendix and sinuses, all which are commonly removed in humans because they seem to serve no purpose, and put them to use. Reactivated them to serve the purpose they were meant to serve but are currently no longer needed because of whatever reason. We can speculate...

• Man crawled out of the water.
  • The earth was once worse than Grayson.

At any rate, the Malign seem to have some auxiliary parts to work with. Already built-in and unseen for what they are.

Wow, internal stealthy organs hiding in plain sight. LOL

Return to Honorverse