Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests

The Battle of Darius - What would you say?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: The Battle of Darius - What would you say?
Post by cthia   » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:52 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Tourville the cigar wielding cowboy...

"Draw!!! You yellow-bellied back-stabbing cowards!!!"

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by clancy688   » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:55 am

clancy688
Captain of the List

Detweiler, calling the fleet's commander:

"Do you expect me to surrender?" *spats*

"No, Mr. Detweiler, I expect you to die!"

----

Now that I think about it...

...is it a coincidence that the name of the Evil Overlord in the Honorverse is basically a German one?

Moreover, Zhaspar Clyntahn in Safehold has a German sounding name as well... Zhaspar = Kaspar/Kasper.

Coincidence? I think not! :twisted:
Post by Theemile   » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:44 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

clancy688 wrote:Detweiler, calling the fleet's commander:

"Do you expect me to surrender?" *spats*

"No, Mr. Detweiler, I expect you to die!"

----

Now that I think about it...

...is it a coincidence that the name of the Evil Overlord in the Honorverse is basically a German one?

Moreover, Zhaspar Clyntahn in Safehold has a German sounding name as well... Zhaspar = Kaspar/Kasper.

Coincidence? I think not! :twisted:

Isn't Zhasper = Jasper? I always thought the Zh is usually associated with the hard J.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by clancy688   » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:31 am

clancy688
Captain of the List

Darn!

You are cruel, making my elaborate theory collapse like a card house! ;)
Re: The Battle of Darius - who commands Home Fleet?
Post by SharkHunter   » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:34 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

munroburton wrote:
SharkHunter wrote:Michel Reynaud, of ACS. Deserved promotion to Full Admiral and an opportunity to be close in and take care of his home planets. Thoughts?

Try again. Despite the military ranks, ACS is a civilian organisation, entirely separate from the RMN. Reynaud has never commanded a warship, let alone a fleet.
I do know that, but I still think he deserves more recognition than just ACS in our heads. I think he'd be able to work up and even pass the Crusher without a whole lot of difficulty, because he's got the right head on his shoulders for it, having made so made that many command decisions and having the total loyalty of his people. With his knowledge of junction operations and a good set of commodores over Home Fleet squadrons, and tactical departments under communication/control, it's not like he's going to make any bad decisions should it come to that.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by SWM   » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:57 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:I do know that, but I still think he deserves more recognition than just ACS in our heads. I think he'd be able to work up and even pass the Crusher without a whole lot of difficulty, because he's got the right head on his shoulders for it, having made so made that many command decisions and having the total loyalty of his people. With his knowledge of junction operations and a good set of commodores over Home Fleet squadrons, and tactical departments under communication/control, it's not like he's going to make any bad decisions should it come to that.

Even if he worked he way through Saganami, there's no way he would be jumped from Middie to Admiral in the RMN. Reynaud is a civilian. He has never taken any of the Navy training courses. The ACS is a completely civilian organization, unrelated to the Navy. He could not possibly become an RMN Admiral without many years of working up through the ranks, and they are not going to assign Home Fleet to anyone less than a Fleet Admiral. Command of Home Fleet comes with the unique rank Admiral of the Fleet, which outranks Fleet Admirals.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by JeffEngel   » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:02 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

SWM wrote:
SharkHunter wrote:I do know that, but I still think he deserves more recognition than just ACS in our heads. I think he'd be able to work up and even pass the Crusher without a whole lot of difficulty, because he's got the right head on his shoulders for it, having made so made that many command decisions and having the total loyalty of his people. With his knowledge of junction operations and a good set of commodores over Home Fleet squadrons, and tactical departments under communication/control, it's not like he's going to make any bad decisions should it come to that.

Even if he worked he way through Saganami, there's no way he would be jumped from Middie to Admiral in the RMN. Reynaud is a civilian. He has never taken any of the Navy training courses. The ACS is a completely civilian organization, unrelated to the Navy. He could not possibly become an RMN Admiral without many years of working up through the ranks, and they are not going to assign Home Fleet to anyone less than a Fleet Admiral. Command of Home Fleet comes with the unique rank Admiral of the Fleet, which outranks Fleet Admirals.

If he's not got enough recognition for running ACS, maybe ACS need more cred with us. And if he has done that good a job, worthy of that recognition, then perhaps it is best for him to remain in ACS and doing it. The RMN is not hurting for good admirals, junior flag officers, or captains - it needn't poach from ACS, when ACS has enough to do.

ACS may have a lot more to do nowadays, if it's going to be the source of training cadre for astro control for so many other wormholes Manticore has seized. Even if the RMN is handling that, it would have a lot of use for a lot of ACS advisers along.
Post by SharkHunter   » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:59 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

SWM wrote:

Pouts but agrees. Well, as long as he merits inclusion in any important Hall of Fame and invitations to important social occasions, for meritorious service, anyway.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by stewart   » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:58 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

"May you receive what you so richly deserve"

:o :shock: :mrgreen:

-- Stewart
Post by Brigade XO   » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:40 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

What do you do with 2 BILLION Alpha, Beta, and Gamma line people on Darius who fully believe in the Alighment? The 1.3 Billion genetic slaves are also a problem in that they also fully believe in that same view of the universe and have for centuries.

Something of the same situation exists on Safehold, where the % of people who know anything about happened anywhere and anywhere else is increadably tiny and there are going to be major problems getting people on the ground to accept that reality is something different than they have been living for generations.

I would also wonder what the Lenney Dets and the "other" things that have been very briefly mentioned in the books are going to turn out to be and be capable of. I can see Albrect- shorlty before he ceases to exist- sending out forces of Lenny Dets to devastate various primary systems that have now been arrayed against the Alignment in a plan to let the Alignment to rise from a crushing defeat though Alpha line agents still in place throughout the known universe. Could be good for 30 or 40 more books :)

Return to Honorverse