Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 143 guests

OpForce against OpForce

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: OpForce against OpForce
Post by SharkHunter   » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:37 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

BobfromSydney wrote:As far as I recall, there have been two 'confrontations' between Honor and Shannon.

The first was in Flag in Exile.
There was a significant force imbalance with Honor's SDs vs. peep BBs. Honor disguised her SDs as BCs with ECM and Shannon spotted it - but not in time to save the BBs.

The second (in At All Costs) is much more tenuous - Shannon's Moriarty putting some significant pressure on Honor's Cutworm III raid.

In ship-to-ship combat or fleet combat I think Honor would have an advantage - but only because of her decades of experience in command.

If it were a competition in weapons and ship design Shannon would win by a large margin.
In between, there's two more, Honor Among Enemies, when Vaubon was captured (that is when Honor met Warner and Shannon) by HMMAC Wayfarer, and the second when Tourville's group captured the Prince Adrian (though McKeon) was in command of that ship, in "In Enemy Hands". Sort of a tactical tie, I suppose.

The other "sorta" confrontations are in At All Costs is Foraker's fleet defense against Honor's mousetrap at Sidemore. Keep in mind though, Honor did a stint at the WDB and as a tactical instructor at Saganami Island, plus has had a hand in "sharpening the stone" against the best the RMN has to offer in terms of tactical setups and sims with all sorts of hardware.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by roseandheather   » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:47 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:
BobfromSydney wrote:As far as I recall, there have been two 'confrontations' between Honor and Shannon.

There was a significant force imbalance with Honor's SDs vs. peep BBs. Honor disguised her SDs as BCs with ECM and Shannon spotted it - but not in time to save the BBs.

The second (in At All Costs) is much more tenuous - Shannon's Moriarty putting some significant pressure on Honor's Cutworm III raid.

In ship-to-ship combat or fleet combat I think Honor would have an advantage - but only because of her decades of experience in command.

If it were a competition in weapons and ship design Shannon would win by a large margin.
In between, there's two more, Honor Among Enemies, when Vaubon was captured (that is when Honor met Warner and Shannon) by HMMAC Wayfarer, and the second when Tourville's group captured the Prince Adrian (though McKeon) was in command of that ship, in "In Enemy Hands". Sort of a tactical tie, I suppose.

The other "sorta" confrontations are in At All Costs is Foraker's fleet defense against Honor's mousetrap at Sidemore. Keep in mind though, Honor did a stint at the WDB and as a tactical instructor at Saganami Island, plus has had a hand in "sharpening the stone" against the best the RMN has to offer in terms of tactical setups and sims with all sorts of hardware.

Honestly, for me, it's a toss-up. There is absolutely no doubt that Shannon Foraker is a tactical genius, perhaps even surpassing Honor herself in terms of raw talent. But she's completely untried in single-ship command, let alone squadron or fleet command, and she's been at Bolthole for the best part of half a decade. Putting ART-era Shannon in the admiral's chair vs. Honor would likely result in defeat of epic proportions for Shannon, no matter how much of a genius she may be, and frankly, she's needed where she is. Haven - and now the Grand Alliance - has a nice crop of fiendishly clever flag officers already (see: Bellefeuille, Diamato, DeLaney, Hermier, etc.), but only Shannon (and Sonja) are going to be making the weapons breakthroughs that keep the fleet's tactical edge the sharpest in the known galaxy.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by cthia   » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:06 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:

roseandheather wrote:Honestly, for me, it's a toss-up. There is absolutely no doubt that Shannon Foraker is a tactical genius, perhaps even surpassing Honor herself in terms of raw talent. But she's completely untried in single-ship command, let alone squadron or fleet command, and she's been at Bolthole for the best part of half a decade. Putting ART-era Shannon in the admiral's chair vs. Honor would likely result in defeat of epic proportions for Shannon, no matter how much of a genius she may be, and frankly, she's needed where she is. Haven - and now the Grand Alliance - has a nice crop of fiendishly clever flag officers already (see: Bellefeuille, Diamato, DeLaney, Hermier, etc.), but only Shannon (and Sonja) are going to be making the weapons breakthroughs that keep the fleet's tactical edge the sharpest in the known galaxy.
~*~

Same for me too Rose. I consider it pretty much a toss up in the tactical department. But remember, this is far in the future where Shannon may have acquired some ship time.

But if I had to lean more in one direction, I'd have to give Shannon a slight edge because she almost enjoys a certain cult status with the hardware. Remember, she was able to remain in better than shouting distance of Honor, with inferior, lower tech. Imagine what she can do if the tech-field is level. I think the edge would go to Shannon, by a nose. And with Shannon, it was a passion. Remember, she would have remained as Tac Officer if she could have. In pursuit of her passion.

Also, the matchup is to determine the best tac-officer, not the best tactician. Honor is a better tactician, but sitting at that tac-officer console, it's not cut and dry or a clear runaway in Honor's favor.

Normally a Navy tries to ensure an officer a well rounded experience, in which Shannon was deprived, because of necessity. After the MaLign are dealt with, will Shannon most likely be given command, or will she remain Haven's Sonja Hemphill counterpart, so to speak?

My apologies to all for the misstep on the "dream plots" thread. I knew it was toeing the line. More of an apology to you Duckk, for having to do that.

I was ready to get my plot on too!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:41 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:

roseandheather wrote:Honestly, for me, it's a toss-up. There is absolutely no doubt that Shannon Foraker is a tactical genius, perhaps even surpassing Honor herself in terms of raw talent. But she's completely untried in single-ship command, let alone squadron or fleet command, and she's been at Bolthole for the best part of half a decade. Putting ART-era Shannon in the admiral's chair vs. Honor would likely result in defeat of epic proportions for Shannon, no matter how much of a genius she may be, and frankly, she's needed where she is. Haven - and now the Grand Alliance - has a nice crop of fiendishly clever flag officers already (see: Bellefeuille, Diamato, DeLaney, Hermier, etc.), but only Shannon (and Sonja) are going to be making the weapons breakthroughs that keep the fleet's tactical edge the sharpest in the known galaxy.
~*~

cthia wrote:Same for me too Rose. I consider it pretty much a toss up in the tactical department. But remember, this is far in the future where Shannon may have acquired some ship time.

But if I had to lean more in one direction, I'd have to give Shannon a slight edge because she almost enjoys a certain cult status with the hardware. Remember, she was able to remain in better than shouting distance of Honor, with inferior, lower tech. Imagine what she can do if the tech-field is level. I think the edge would go to Shannon, by a nose. And with Shannon, it was a passion. Remember, she would have remained as Tac Officer if she could have. In pursuit of her passion.

Also, the matchup is to determine the best tac-officer, not the best tactician. Honor is a better tactician, but sitting at that tac-officer console, it's not cut and dry or a clear runaway in Honor's favor.

Normally a Navy tries to ensure an officer a well rounded experience, in which Shannon was deprived, because of necessity. After the MaLign are dealt with, will Shannon most likely be given command, or will she remain Haven's Sonja Hemphill counterpart, so to speak?

My apologies to all for the misstep on the "dream plots" thread. I knew it was toeing the line. More of an apology to you Duckk, for having to do that.

I was ready to get my plot on too!

Forgot to thank everyone concerned for reminding me that Shannon and Honor have already met across opposite fields of battle. And for also pointing out that Shannon did indeed hold her own. Shannon shines.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Tom   » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:39 pm

Tom
Ensign

Contention: a simulated battle between Honor Harrington and Thomas Theisman would be wonderful to watch.
One between Honor Harrington and Lester Tourville would be even better.
Post by cthia   » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:55 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Tom wrote:Contention: a simulated battle between Honor Harrington and Thomas Theisman would be wonderful to watch.

A simulated battle between Honor Harrington and Thomas Theisman would be wonderful to watch.

It sure would.
One between Lester Tourville and Honor Harrington would be even better.

For certain, and sideline bets would exceed any analysis. But I'm not so sure Lester would want a rematch. Even a friendly one in Sims, considering that he'd probably still be experiencing flashbacks to his last encounter against the Salamander, even far into the future. And he got his eggs poached before and I'm sure he'd much rather have them raw and still hanging between his legs, after already having them...regenerated. :lol:

Totally couldn't resist that.

Post by Tom   » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:36 pm

Tom
Ensign

cthia wrote:
Tom wrote:Contention: a simulated battle between Honor Harrington and Thomas Theisman would be wonderful to watch.

A simulated battle between Honor Harrington and Thomas Theisman would be wonderful to watch.

It sure would.
One between Lester Tourville and Honor Harrington would be even better.

For certain, and sideline bets would exceed any analysis. But I'm not so sure Lester would want a rematch. Even a friendly one in Sims, considering that he'd probably still be experiencing flashbacks to his last encounter against the Salamander, even far into the future. And he got his eggs poached before and I'm sure he'd much rather have them raw and still hanging between his legs, after already having them...regenerated. :lol:

Totally couldn't resist that.

Maybe. OTOH, I think he's also the only person who has ever managed the feat of trouncing Honor on the field of battle, and he might be willing to go for a best two out of three.
Post by niethil   » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:32 pm

niethil
Commander

Who's gonna be in charge of the cheerleading squad ?
-------------
'Oh, oh' he said in English. Evidently, he had completely mastered that language.
Post by roseandheather   » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:04 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

niethil wrote:Who's gonna be in charge of the cheerleading squad ?

DIBS ON TOURVILLE!

(Sorry, Honor. But... priorities. I have them. :mrgreen: Now if it was Allen Higgins in the sims...)
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Yow   » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:55 pm

Yow
Captain (Junior Grade)

roseandheather wrote: Honestly, for me, it's a toss-up. There is absolutely no doubt that Shannon Foraker is a tactical genius, perhaps even surpassing Honor herself in terms of raw talent. But she's completely untried in single-ship command, let alone squadron or fleet command, and she's been at Bolthole for the best part of half a decade.

Hamish," Honor said, "this is the man who overthrew State Security, probably shot Saint-Just personally, single-handedly convinced Capital Fleet to support him, called a constitutional convention, turned power over to the first duly elected President of the star nation whose constitution he had personally rescued from the dust bin, and then spent the better part of four T-years fighting a six or seven-cornered civil war in order to defend that constitution.”

~WoH (bold for emphasis)

In defense of your and our beloved Shannon, what have they been saying about the tactical track in all the novels? It leads to commanding ships. At the end of the war Shannon was a full Commander. In my opinion you don't get there in tactical with out a little bit of stick time in the officer-in-charge seat. Shannon I believe got her ticket punched in the Havenite civil war. You don't necessarily jump from Commander to Vice-Admiral on a whim. I hope they make a side novel showing Shannon kicking State Security ass. Also I willing to bet that anytime from HAE until TOF she will always give whoever a significant run for there money if not outright trounce them. Look at the geniuses she was mentored by and the many successes they had and the failures they survived and learned from. Then there is this. Any thing that makes Honor sit back and notice...

"And that place is?" Honor prompted as he paused.
"We don't know," Benjamin admitted, "but we have two straws in the wind, as it were. One is the existence of some top-secret project, one that was apparently launched under the Committee as much as several years before the McQueen Coup but which has been continued under Pritchart and Theisman. All we know about it for certain is its codename: 'Bolthole.' That, and the fact that Pierre and Saint-Just funneled huge amounts of money into whatever it is even at the height of the war and despite their worst financial problems. We don't have confirmation that Pritchart and Theisman have continued the same level of funding, but the discrepancy between what their revenues ought to be and what they're reporting certainly seems to suggest that some 'black project' is continuing to siphon off an awful lot of cash”.
“That's straw number one. Straw number two is the name of the one officer our sources have been able to identify as being closely associated with whatever 'Bolthole' is since Theisman's little revolution. I believe you know her."
"I do?" Honor was startled and it showed.
"Oh, indeed you do," Benjamin said with something almost like grim amusement. "Her name is Vice Admiral Shannon Foraker."
"Oh, my God." Honor abruptly sat all the way back in her chair. "Foraker? You're sure?"
"We can't be one hundred percent positive. All we can say for certain is that her name appeared on the promotion lists, that we haven't been able to find her anywhere else, and that at least two separate sources within the Republic have suggested that where she disappeared to is wherever 'Bolthole' hangs out." The Protector shrugged. "There's no possible way to confirm it, but if I were a secretary of war who had some sort of high-cost project in applied research and development going on somewhere and I had someone of Foraker's demonstrated abilities to put in charge of it, I know what I'd be doing with her."
"You and I both," Honor agreed feelingly.

~WoH Note the wording discribing Shannon in the last paragraph. I think our little Shannon is all grown up now. I don't think its enough to to build gee- whiz ships. I think you have to understand the command and tactics your end user is going to need to be able to build fully capable ships and that requires experience in addition to raw talent( ie tac witch). My opinion of course.

Cthia's father ~ "Son, do not cater to the common belief that a person has to earn respect. That is not true. You should give every person respect right from the start. What a person has to earn is your continued respect!"

Return to Honorverse