Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 131 guests

OpForce against OpForce

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: OpForce against OpForce
Post by SharkHunter   » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:33 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Somtaaw wrote:to hop in on the McQueen debate, wouldn't she almost guaranteed be compared against Honor?

Hamish himself, admits that McQueen is quite probably a better tactician than he was (during the leadup to Manticore finally taking Trevor's Star). But that he had a slight edge strategically.

And then Honor, was eventually acknowledged to be approximately as good as Hamish was, after her command performance at Sidemore, and the later Eighth Fleet 2.0 actions. So we would end up with a rough equation of (loosely speaking):

McQueen = Hamish = Honor

One commander we should also be keeping our eyes on, is Caparelli himself. He proved himself at a strategic level during the entirety of the First Havenite War, and also proved he's not just "a bull in a china shop" that PRH thought he'd be. He was also well thought of, by Webster, and even Hamish grudgingly admitted he's a good choice, which could be interpreted to say Caparelli is "good enough" in a tactical manner.
I don't think materially McQueen is necessarily a better tactical commander than Theisman or Tourville, so much as "earlier in the story", and with less ethics to control her than either of those two. Think of what she did in the "Leveler uprising", for example. I think head to head with equal fleets, either of those two would win against McQueen. Given equal ship counts, the RMN will always win ALL of the exchanges, unless they get mouse trapped, and McQueen nor Giscard ever fullyu managed that. (Hamish's escape at Nightingale, Honor's at Solon).

That said I agree that the combination of Caparelli and Givens is a "superior strategic" team, having beat both Amos Parnell and McQueen into fatal moves that cost huge he PN huge amounts of forces and almost won the first Havenite war.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by SharkHunter   » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:34 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

In the head to head world set of sims though, equal forces, how about Honor and Jennifer Bellefeuille? That's be a battle between a sneak and a damn sneak, yes?
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by cthia   » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:13 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:
Somtaaw wrote:to hop in on the McQueen debate, wouldn't she almost guaranteed be compared against Honor?

Hamish himself, admits that McQueen is quite probably a better tactician than he was (during the leadup to Manticore finally taking Trevor's Star). But that he had a slight edge strategically.

And then Honor, was eventually acknowledged to be approximately as good as Hamish was, after her command performance at Sidemore, and the later Eighth Fleet 2.0 actions. So we would end up with a rough equation of (loosely speaking):

McQueen = Hamish = Honor

One commander we should also be keeping our eyes on, is Caparelli himself. He proved himself at a strategic level during the entirety of the First Havenite War, and also proved he's not just "a bull in a china shop" that PRH thought he'd be. He was also well thought of, by Webster, and even Hamish grudgingly admitted he's a good choice, which could be interpreted to say Caparelli is "good enough" in a tactical manner.
I don't think materially McQueen is necessarily a better tactical commander than Theisman or Tourville, so much as "earlier in the story", and with less ethics to control her than either of those two. Think of what she did in the "Leveler uprising", for example. I think head to head with equal fleets, either of those two would win against McQueen. Given equal ship counts, the RMN will always win ALL of the exchanges, unless they get mouse trapped, and McQueen nor Giscard ever fullyu managed that. (Hamish's escape at Nightingale, Honor's at Solon).

That said I agree that the combination of Caparelli and Givens is a "superior strategic" team, having beat both Amos Parnell and McQueen into fatal moves that cost huge he PN huge amounts of forces and almost won the first Havenite war.

No way SharkHunter. Tactically, McQueen was heads and shoulders above the rest. As Somtaaw stated, even Hamish admitted that she was better - which was an understatement. The proof was in the pudding. Whoever controls Trevor's Star has benefit of interior position. McQueen understood that as no other Havenite could have. She was the one to hold Trevor's Star.

I found it rather humorous. Hamish was way out of his league. He kept bringing it and she kept giving it. He would always return and she would always lay him over her knee and 'whack dat ass' then send the little boy back home to play with his marbles and lick his wounds. Hamish was simply outclassed and outmatched by McQueen. He kept returning with bigger and bigger forces. It took quite a while - a rather long campaign, to retake Trevor's Star.

It reminded me of an old cartoon, Hamish was Ralph. E. Wolf, and McQueen was Sam Sheepdog.

Ralph would clock in every day and get handed his head, no matter what he turned up with.

McQueen pretty much made a comic-mockery out of Hamish.

I think McQueen sent him the message...

"I think you're going to need your girlfriend. Why do they keep sending a man to do a Salamander's job?"

or...

"I can do this all day Hamish."

or...

"Want some mo? I'll give you some mo!"

or...

"Didn't... I... tell... you... not... to... play... with... GROWNUPS!!!"

Ralph E. Wolf and Sam Sheepdog
https://youtu.be/kerUbfOQTW0

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by stewart   » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:09 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

McQueen = Hamish = Honor

---------------

Caparelli's position is not one of tactics, except on the grander scale; his is more the strategist's role of getting the proper resources to the right area and having competent field officers able to carry out his general directives.

-- Stewart
Post by cthia   » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:32 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

stewart wrote:

McQueen = Hamish = Honor

---------------

Caparelli's position is not one of tactics, except on the grander scale; his is more the strategist's role of getting the proper resources to the right area and having competent field officers able to carry out his general directives.

-- Stewart

Which reminds me to get my delayed Top Ten Strategists in the pipe of which Caparelli will undoubtedly lead.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by SharkHunter   » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:33 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

--snipping--
cthia wrote:No way SharkHunter. Tactically, McQueen was heads and shoulders above the rest. As Somtaaw stated, even Hamish admitted that she was better - which was an understatement. The proof was in the pudding. Whoever controls Trevor's Star has benefit of interior position. McQueen understood that as no other Havenite could have. She was the one to hold Trevor's Star.
I'd still say "no way Jose", but that McQueen was the best ADMIRAL to hold Trevor's Star as long she did, given that Giscard, Theisman, etc. were assigned to other areas. Keep in mind that the PN chose to maintain about a 2:1 ship-of-the-wall force advantage at TS so that Hamish's tactically superior ships couldn't close with the PN fleet defenses, otherwise Hamish's would have won in short order because of the better quality of the RMN crews and ships.

But I'd rather use a different battle (Gettysburg, US Civil War) to make my point: The two best commanders in terms of effect on the battle on the field were John Buford, whose epic defense in depth enabled the Union Armies to get the interior and stronger position, and Longstreet, who argued that what the Army of Northern Virginia should have done would have been to briefly engage at Gettysburg and then retreat towards Washington, forcing the Union armies to come and get them with the Confed armies holding a tactically superior "interior position". Instead with Lee's orders, Longstreet's divisions had to attack the Hancock-led defensive position, losing nearly half of his available forces on the 2nd day of the battle.

Once the Union Armies were entrenched, they held the force and position advantage, and massacred the Confed forces on the 3rd day of that battle. Nothing the superior tactician (Longstreet) could do was going to change the outcome EXCEPT retreat and force the battle on new terms.

That same level of force advantage is what Hamish needed to take Trevor's Star, triggering a "role of the die" battle that would have likely lost the war, had McQueen and the Peeps found an effective counter to that much force.
---------------------
Post by cthia   » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:51 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:--snipping--
cthia wrote:No way SharkHunter. Tactically, McQueen was heads and shoulders above the rest. As Somtaaw stated, even Hamish admitted that she was better - which was an understatement. The proof was in the pudding. Whoever controls Trevor's Star has benefit of interior position. McQueen understood that as no other Havenite could have. She was the one to hold Trevor's Star.
I'd still say "no way Jose", but that McQueen was the best ADMIRAL to hold Trevor's Star as long she did, given that Giscard, Theisman, etc. were assigned to other areas. Keep in mind that the PN chose to maintain about a 2:1 ship-of-the-wall force advantage at TS so that Hamish's tactically superior ships couldn't close with the PN fleet defenses, otherwise Hamish's would have won in short order because of the better quality of the RMN crews and ships.

But I'd rather use a different battle (Gettysburg, US Civil War) to make my point: The two best commanders in terms of effect on the battle on the field were John Buford, whose epic defense in depth enabled the Union Armies to get the interior and stronger position, and Longstreet, who argued that what the Army of Northern Virginia should have done would have been to briefly engage at Gettysburg and then retreat towards Washington, forcing the Union armies to come and get them with the Confed armies holding a tactically superior "interior position". Instead with Lee's orders, Longstreet's divisions had to attack the Hancock-led defensive position, losing nearly half of his available forces on the 2nd day of the battle.

Once the Union Armies were entrenched, they held the force and position advantage, and massacred the Confed forces on the 3rd day of that battle. Nothing the superior tactician (Longstreet) could do was going to change the outcome EXCEPT retreat and force the battle on new terms.

That same level of force advantage is what Hamish needed to take Trevor's Star, triggering a "role of the die" battle that would have likely lost the war, had McQueen and the Peeps found an effective counter to that much force.

There was nothing tactically superior about Hamish's ships. Interior position is tactical superiority! Tactical superiority comes from the brilliance of the CO and/or position, not from the ships. Granted, technologically superior ships could allow a wider range of tactical options, but not inherently so. Hamish simply was not in McQueen's league. And Giscard was an amateur compared to both McQueen and Theisman.

As I remember it, it was agreed by Haven's top level advisors that McQueen was the one to hold Trevor's Star. IMO, she was superior to Yu. At least his equal. Theisman was only a protege of Yu.

McQueen was the only Havenite strategist to create a successful offensive plan against the Alliance during the First Havenite War (Operation Icarus), which consisted of a daring series of punishing raids upon highly visible targets, thereby forcing the Alliance to redeploy its strength for defensive purposes. (HH8)

McQueen was so good that Pierre and Saint-Just recognized her talents and realized that they needed her for the Octagon. She was a brilliant strategist and tactician. I maintain, that if McQueen would have survived, the Alliance would have been hurt even more.

Now let's discuss interior position. If McQueen had a "true" advantage of interior position, then what that means is that she may have had an additional benefit of being between RMN's forces, with a chance to defeat them in detail, thus effectively signifying an additional force multiplier. It would also mean that she had benefit of forces advantageously positioned in regards to the system's phenomena. Akin to the disadvantage that a ground force would have being pinned against the ocean. Having the interior position also allows one to easily flank the opponent, and makes it difficult for you to be flanked. Or makes it difficult for the opponent to prevent being flanked.

The battle that you offered up for exhibit isn't a proper battle to show the true advantage of interior position held by McQueen. A common tactical maneuver of ground forces to nullify interior position, is to attack then retreat, to force your opponent to give up the interior position in order to come after you. In the Honorverse, at Trevor's Star, that option would not have been available.

On the chess board, interior position is usually afforded he who controls the center of the board and supports his rook pawns en appui. Devastating position if one knows how to play it out, for it forces your opponent to entertain wasteful moves along the perimeter - "exterior" lines of operation around the board.

The Art of Battle:
http://www.theartofbattle.com/tactics-tutorial

The Art of War
Halleck's text ultimately tried to apply Jominian principles of defensive strategies to the military situation of the United States. Several of its chapters were dedicated to the practice of building defensive fortifications while assembling a force of superior strength capable of being brought to bear on the decisive points of an enemy's position. His concern for the use of fortresses reflected his vision of war based on the possession of territory – not the Napoleonic or Clausewitzian principle of destroying an enemy's army.[18]

Halleck was a firm believer in the geometry of warfare and his work emphasized the Jominian idea of "lines of operation."[19] Natural lines of operation used the advantages of terrain, such as mountains and rivers, to provide protection against the enemy. This was a factor that was overlooked to some extent when Halleck adapted Jominian principles to America without considering the differences in the terrain. The natural lines of operation in America, and those that would determine the battlefields of the Civil War, were clearly defined in the west by the area between the Mississippi River and the Appalachian Mountains. In the east, the fighting would take place between the Atlantic Seaboard and those same mountains.[20] There were few broad plains in America that allowed for Jominian-style combat that favored precision movements of soldiers organized in columns designed to "dominate three sides of a rectangular zone of operation."[21] Because of the geometrical approach to warfare, some Civil War generals actually tried to transpose the theoretical mathematical lines of operation written on their maps to actual lines of combat on the battlefield.[22]

Interior lines of operation referred to the simple idea that one side may have a position between – "inside" – separated enemy forces. With such an interior position, it was possible to keep one's army concentrated and strike at first one part of an enemy force, then the other, defeating each in turn, even though the enemy's total force size might be superior. Jomini's theory constantly stressed the value of interior lines of operation in combat while pointing out the disadvantages of an army forced to fight using exterior lines of operation.[23] In the attempt to introduce rationality and rules into war, Jomini's work served to downplay the violent nature of the conflict and made it seem like a game or geometric exercise in which the maneuvering of troops on a board became more important than the combat.[24] The Jominian influence in strategy was so strong that General J. D. Hittle, joked, "Many a Civil War general went into battle with a sword in one hand and Jomini's ‘Summary of the Art of War' in the other."[25] It was this basic knowledge of strategy – one that stressed defense and a calculated methodical approach to offensive actions – that prepared West Point graduates to begin their careers as army officers.[26]

Complete text:
http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/ci ... heory.aspx

Overwhelming force does not ensure nullification of interior position. Just ask Xerxes, who led his Persian Empire of 150,000 men against a fierce opponent who held the interior position with only 7,000 men! For seven full days!! That's a force advantage of better than 20:1 ... !!!

And the Persians only won in the end, because of a traitor!

The Battle of Thermopylae (/θərˈmɒpɨliː/ thər-MOP-i-lee; Greek: Μάχη τῶν Θερμοπυλῶν, Machē tōn Thermopylōn) was fought between alliances of Greek city-states, led by King Leonidas of Sparta, and the Persian Empire of Xerxes I over the course of three days, during the second Persian invasion of Greece. It took place simultaneously with the naval battle at Artemisium, in August or September 480 BC, at the narrow coastal pass of Thermopylae ("The Hot Gates"). The Persian invasion was a delayed response to the defeat of the first Persian invasion of Greece, which had been ended by the Athenian victory at the Battle of Marathon in 490 BC. Xerxes had amassed a huge army and navy, and set out to conquer all of Greece. The Athenian general Themistocles had proposed that the allied Greeks block the advance of the Persian army at the pass of Thermopylae, and simultaneously block the Persian navy at the Straits of Artemisium.

A Greek force of approximately 7,000 men marched north to block the pass in the summer of 480 BC. The Persian army, alleged by the ancient sources to have numbered over one million but today considered to have been much smaller (various figures are given by scholars ranging between about 100,000 and 150,000),[7][8] arrived at the pass in late August or early September. The vastly outnumbered Greeks held off the Persians for seven days (including three of battle) before the rear-guard was annihilated in one of history's most famous last stands. During two full days of battle, the small force led by Leonidas blocked the only road by which the massive Persian army could pass. After the second day of battle, a local resident named Ephialtes betrayed the Greeks by revealing that a small path led behind the Greek lines. Leonidas, aware that his force was being outflanked, dismissed the bulk of the Greek army and remained to guard their retreat with 300 Spartans, 700 Thespians, 400 Thebans, and perhaps a few hundred others, most of whom were killed.

McQueen had that rare acumen of a mastery of strategy and tactics. And that made her asskicking damn-dangerous!

I'd love to have RFC's official account of the advantages of the 'interior position' held by the controlling navy of Trevor's Star.

Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:24 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Now let's discuss interior position. If McQueen had a "true" advantage of interior position, then what that means is that she may have had an additional benefit of being between RMN's forces, with a chance to defeat them in detail, thus effectively signifying an additional force multiplier. It would also mean that she had benefit of forces advantageously positioned in regards to the system's phenomena. Akin to the disadvantage that a ground force would have being pinned against the ocean. Having the interior position also allows one to easily flank the opponent, and makes it difficult for you to be flanked. Or makes it difficult for the opponent to prevent being flanked.

The battle that you offered up for exhibit isn't a proper battle to show the true advantage of interior position held by McQueen. A common tactical maneuver of ground forces to nullify interior position, is to attack then retreat, to force your opponent to give up the interior position in order to come after you. In the Honorverse, at Trevor's Star, that option would not have been available.

On the chess board, interior position is usually afforded he who controls the center of the board and supports his rook pawns en appui. Devastating position if one knows how to play it out, for it forces your opponent to entertain wasteful moves along the perimeter - "exterior" lines of operation around the board.
[snip]
McQueen had that rare acumen of a mastery of strategy and tactics. And that made her asskicking damn-dangerous!

I'd love to have RFC's official account of the advantages of the 'interior position' held by the controlling navy of Trevor's Star.

I'd argue that some of the features of transit speed and sensor range are such that you can't get many of the advantages of "true" interior lines in a multi-system Honorverse battle.

Once an attacking fleet hypers into a system the timescale of the tactical battle is usually far less than the round trip courier time to the next system. A nodal response fleet can come kick a heavy raid out of a system afterwards - or if they have scouts picketing the base the raid is expected to originate from (such as Admiral Parks attempted before Hancock) they can sometimes move to meet the enemy.

And you don't really have the equivalent of cavalry scouts, or aerial/satellite reconsecrate, or naval radar to see attackers in transit in time to potentially move units to 'flank' them. And it's very, very, to even see ships in transit in hyper - so even picket ships between systems are unlikely to see even major naval forces in movement.

By and large you have to fight with the forces already stationed in each system.

That said, interior lines do still have advantages on the strategic level, because with shorter transit times you can reshuffle your forces between systems more quickly than your opponent, and get inside his (slow) scouting loop. One tactic that would permit is to randomly pick a system to temporarily reenforce -- adding unpredictability and potentially catching a raid with a superior force.
Also, if you have a repair base nearby within your interior lines then your shorter transit distances potentially allow you to recover from combat more quickly.

But one other issue (which the Haven Sector navies were slow to exploit) with interior lines in the Honorverse is that unlike a ground force unit, there's nothing actually stopping a raid or invasion from 'overflying' the forward lines undetected to descend upon a 'rear' system. So you can't really strip your rear systems to the bone because the outlying systems only provide defense in depth if the enemy commits to fighting a system by system battle.
(Kind of like, in WWII, the Japanese fortified islands across the Pacific largely acted as a defense in depth only the the extent they could force the USMC to kick them off each of them. Otherwise the Japanese ground troops holding it were basically wasted when the USN bypassed many hardpoints in their island hopping campaign)

In some ways it was fortunate for McQueen that Hamish, and the RMN, were committed to securing their flanks by taking, and then defending, the outlying systems around Trevor's Star. If Hamish had been allowed to save up all the forces collectively used in even the first half of that campaign he probably could have taken Trevor's Star in a single lunge; "island hopping" past all the outlying defensive systems. (And then the special geography of Trevor's Star, the wormhole, should allow them to hold it even if all those outlying systems' forces assault Trevor's Star)

(Hope this is more coherent, and less rambling, than I fear it is)
Post by Tom   » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:15 pm

Tom
Ensign

cthia wrote:\

I found it rather humorous. Hamish was way out of his league. He kept bringing it and she kept giving it. He would always return and she would always lay him over her knee and 'whack dat ass' then send the little boy back home to play with his marbles and lick his wounds. Hamish was simply outclassed and outmatched by McQueen. He kept returning with bigger and bigger forces. It took quite a while - a rather long campaign, to retake Trevor's Star.

It reminded me of an old cartoon, Hamish was Ralph. E. Wolf, and McQueen was Sam Sheepdog.

Ralph would clock in every day and get handed his head, no matter what he turned up with.

"I think you're going to need your girlfriend. Why do they keep sending a man to do a Salamander's job?"

or...

or...

or...

I disagree with you regarding McQueen vs. Alexander, and precisely because of the advantages provided by Trevor's Star.
It's like saying Leonidas was a tactical genius because he dug in at Thermopylae. Of course you dig in at the choke point when faced by superior odds. That's operational or strategic brilliance, not tactical.
Post by munroburton   » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:11 am

munroburton
Admiral

Tom wrote:
cthia wrote:\

or...

or...

or...

I disagree with you regarding McQueen vs. Alexander, and precisely because of the advantages provided by Trevor's Star.
It's like saying Leonidas was a tactical genius because he dug in at Thermopylae. Of course you dig in at the choke point when faced by superior odds. That's operational or strategic brilliance, not tactical.

Also should consider that McQueen had much less flexibility in her orders from the CPS. Hamish was effectively choosing where and when to attack - initiative entirely in his hands. Hell, look what happened when it ended up in McQueen's hands later - Operation Icarus.

But had the CPS not recalled McQueen, I have no doubt she would've been killed, either in battle or a quiet room filled with StateSec executioners. Hell, that's why they recalled her! They knew even McQueen wasn't going to hold Trevor's Star with the assets they could give her. Frankly, her best chance of living a long and healthy life was to get picked up in a lifepod by the RMN.

Return to Honorverse