Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 135 guests

OpForce against OpForce

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: OpForce against OpForce
Post by jchilds   » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:38 pm

jchilds
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:It always begins a slow roll downhill after that first Old Tilman too many. It has turned ugly now. The men, as always, have stuck their "feats" in their big mouths. And now the women promise to make them pay.

Some asses are going to be ripped a new one.

Shannon has a twinkle in her eye. Hamish has pissed off Honor and that telltale tick has started. Henke and Tourville are exchanging polished insults, Sonja is looking devious and Abigail Hearns is chanting "Lady Harrington, and to Hades with Mercy!"

OpForce I (Coached by Honor Harrington)
Jennifer Bellefeuille
Andrea Jaruwalski
Abigail Hearns
Molly Delaney
Michelle Henke
Alice Truman
Shannon Foraker
Genevieve Chin
Helen Zilwicki
Naomi Kaplan
Cynthia Lecter
Veronica Armstrong

Opforce II (Coached by Hamish Alexander)
Alfredo Yu.
Warner Caslet.
Michael Oversteegen.
Lester Tourville
Chien-lu Anderman
Thomas Theisman
Thomas Bachfish
Mark Sarnow
Wesley Matthews
Judah Yanakov
Oliver Diamato
Aivars Terekhov

Anyone think the men have a snowball's chance in Hell or Hades? :lol:
PopCorn, Get Your Fresh Buttered PopCorn.

I guess the results, like many of the above mentioned sims, might depend on whether or not Harkness is up to some of his old tricks...
Post by BrigadeΔ   » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:55 pm

BrigadeΔ
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

cthia wrote:It always begins a slow roll downhill after that first Old Tilman too many. It has turned ugly now. The men, as always, have stuck their "feats" in their big mouths. And now the women promise to make them pay.

Shannon has a twinkle in her eye. Hamish has pissed off Honor and that telltale tick has started. Henke and Tourville are exchanging polished insults, Sonja is looking devious and Abigail Hearns is chanting "Lady Harrington, and to Hades with Mercy!"

Jennifer Bellefeuille
Andrea Jaruwalski
Abigail Hearns
Molly Delaney
Michelle He
Alice Truman
Shannon Foraker
Genevieve Chin
Helen Zilwicki
Naomi Kaplan
Cynthia Lecter
Veronica Armstrong

Alfredo Yu.
Warner Caslet.
Michael Oversteegen.
Lester Tourville
Chien-lu Anderman
Thomas Theisman
Thomas Bachfish
Mark Sarnow
Wesley Matthews
Judah Yanakov
Oliver Diamato
Aivars Terekhov

At the same time this is with tech from HOQ, the matchup that I want to see is 1 v 1 Honor Harrinton vs Thomas Theisman, give them each a star knight class CA and turn them loose in a star system with only the goal of killing the other (simulation of course, I do not want R&H killing me) and save the video for use at Sagnami island.
Post by cthia   » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:28 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

BrigadeΔ wrote:

Jennifer Bellefeuille
Andrea Jaruwalski
Abigail Hearns
Molly Delaney
Michelle He
Alice Truman
Shannon Foraker
Genevieve Chin
Helen Zilwicki
Naomi Kaplan
Cynthia Lecter
Veronica Armstrong

Alfredo Yu.
Warner Caslet.
Michael Oversteegen.
Lester Tourville
Chien-lu Anderman
Thomas Theisman
Thomas Bachfish
Mark Sarnow
Wesley Matthews
Judah Yanakov
Oliver Diamato
Aivars Terekhov

At the same time this is with tech from HOQ, the matchup that I want to see is 1 v 1 Honor Harrinton vs Thomas Theisman, give them each a star knight class CA and turn them loose in a star system with only the goal of killing the other (simulation of course, I do not want R&H killing me) and save the video for use at Sagnami island.

It does seem like a rematch is in order regarding those two, after Theisman sucker-punched her at Blackbird.

A straight-up one-on-one, best of seven. Damn, that would be a popcorn selling tourney for sure.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by roseandheather   » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:20 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

BrigadeΔ wrote:At the same time this is with tech from HOQ, the matchup that I want to see is 1 v 1 Honor Harrinton vs Thomas Theisman, give them each a star knight class CA and turn them loose in a star system with only the goal of killing the other (simulation of course, I do not want R&H killing me) and save the video for use at Sagnami island.

The fact that everyone on this board is terrified of what I will do to them if they insult the Republic, Tom, Eloise, and/or [insert beloved character of mine here] (but especially the Republic and its guardian angels) pleases me greatly. :twisted:

That said, the prospect of Tom Theisman and Honor Harrington going at each other in the sims - possibly with a hand-picked bridge crew - one-on-one to duke it out (preferably best of five, or best of seven, or, my personal preference, best of a thousand and one) leaves me requesting a mop for my drool.

Besides, neither of them are saints. Do you think they'd be able to refuse temptation?? :mrgreen:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by BrigadeΔ   » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:21 pm

BrigadeΔ
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

roseandheather wrote:
BrigadeΔ wrote:At the same time this is with tech from HOQ, the matchup that I want to see is 1 v 1 Honor Harrinton vs Thomas Theisman, give them each a star knight class CA and turn them loose in a star system with only the goal of killing the other (simulation of course, I do not want R&H killing me) and save the video for use at Sagnami island.

The fact that everyone on this board is terrified of what I will do to them if they insult the Republic, Tom, Eloise, and/or [insert beloved character of mine here] (but especially the Republic and its guardian angels) pleases me greatly. :twisted:

That said, the prospect of Tom Theisman and Honor Harrington going at each other in the sims - possibly with a hand-picked bridge crew - one-on-one to duke it out (preferably best of five, or best of seven, or, my personal preference, best of a thousand and one) leaves me requesting a mop for my drool.
Besides, neither of them are saints. Do you think they'd be able to refuse temptation?? :mrgreen:

I did not mean if I insulted the Republic, Theisman, Pritchard, Etc. I meant that I was afraid for my life if I suggested the idea of killing either Tom or Honor (or both, that could happen to) at the others hands.
Post by stewart   » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:18 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

SharkHunter wrote:As someone else noted, part of the reason the Andermani aren't getting much love is that we don't have a whole lot of "screen time"; essentially the only battle actions worth talking about with surviving IAN Captains are in short stories and a single set of sims (that was Bin-hwei Morser, in AaC (At all Costs). At that point, Honor noted that the IAN ship handlers weren't quite up to up to Eighth Fleet standards but were catching on with frightening speed. So their is no lack of competence in their training, just in their tactical creativity.

That said, let's make our Op Force tourney a round robin and have four teams go best of three, and two best winners in that round go best of five. Beginning of each round the judges select which level of battle tech (equalized, both sides have access to whatever version of missiles, drones, FTL levels, etc. are in which "book"). They could also determine "force levels available" per round, and the "winning goal". For example, in the competition at Honor's house among the students, etc. she was the op force commander, and they won if they had a single ship still fighting at the end of the round of sims.

My pick for "Season one" as the four "fleet admirals" [sort of like TV's "the Voice"] who pick the rest of the teams, are "technical consultants" and act as judges are:

"Admirals" (who pick teams):
Honor Harrington
Chien Lu Anderman
Amos Parnell
Michelle Henke

Tech Judges (don't pick teams):
Shannon Foraker / Sonya Hemphill

Yeah, I know -- no fun putting Shannon & Sonya on the sidelines, right? But neither of them have been ship handlers at least since early in the books, but both of them are "wizards with the tech". So they'd be like walking encylopedias for "yeah, you can do this, no you can't do that" as of a given round and sims" and EVERY team could have access to their skills. I think it would be fun to watch those two fold technical wrinkles into the battle sims as well.

---------------

I'd substitute Thomas Theisman for Mike Henke

-- Stewart
Post by SharkHunter   » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:52 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

--snipping--
stewart wrote:
SharkHunter wrote: My pick for "Season one" as the four "fleet admirals" [sort of like TV's "the Voice"] who pick the rest of the teams, are "technical consultants" and act as judges are:

"Admirals" (who pick teams):
Honor Harrington
Chien Lu Anderman
Amos Parnell
Michelle Henke

Tech Judges (don't pick teams):
Shannon Foraker / Sonya Hemphill

Yeah, I know -- no fun putting Shannon & Sonya on the sidelines, right? But neither of them have been ship handlers at least since early in the books, but both of them are "wizards with the tech". So they'd be like walking encylopedias for "yeah, you can do this, no you can't do that" as of a given round and sims" and EVERY team could have access to their skills. I think it would be fun to watch those two fold technical wrinkles into the battle sims as well.

---------------

I'd substitute Thomas Theisman for Mike Henke

-- Stewart
Thought about that but have decided to substitute Patricia Givens instead. That way Theisman and Henke are available to be "in the pool" at the same time. But we can make the "season one admirals" the "season two judges".
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by cthia   » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:15 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Ooooh. There's a betting pool going on on the sidelines.

Shannon and Honor are going to go at it in the sims. Tactical Officer against Tactical Officer.

"I was a pretty darn good tac officer Shannon. I can take you."

"Honor, this is one battle you won't win. You were a tac officer. I was a tac-witch."

Anyone want in on the side action?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by SharkHunter   » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:31 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote:Ooooh. There's a betting pool going on on the sidelines.

Shannon and Honor are going to go at it in the sims. Tactical Officer against Tactical Officer.

"I was a pretty darn good tac officer Shannon. I can take you."

"Honor, this is one battle you won't win. You were a tac officer. I was a tac-witch."

Anyone want in on the side action?
How about tossing in Andrea J. for the prelims with Honor as the reigning champ? IN which case I'll take the J. in the first round and ummm... what's the point spread in the finals?
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by BobfromSydney   » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:32 pm

BobfromSydney
Commander

As far as I recall, there have been two 'confrontations' between Honor and Shannon.

The first was in Flag in Exile.
There was a significant force imbalance with Honor's SDs vs. peep BBs. Honor disguised her SDs as BCs with ECM and Shannon spotted it - but not in time to save the BBs.

The second (in At All Costs) is much more tenuous - Shannon's Moriarty putting some significant pressure on Honor's Cutworm III raid.

In ship-to-ship combat or fleet combat I think Honor would have an advantage - but only because of her decades of experience in command.

If it were a competition in weapons and ship design Shannon would win by a large margin.

Return to Honorverse