Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 145 guests

2nd Battle of Manticore questions

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: 2nd Battle of Manticore questions
Post by cthia   » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:19 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

JeffEngel wrote:
cthia wrote:Remember, even with the Havenites, Honor and other officers would hazard a guess as to the location of an SLN flagship because they knew that there MO was to place its flag on an SD "in the middle" of the formation. It always reminded me of playing Stratego and growing accustomed to where one likes to place their flag. Honor, as far as I know, was the only officer who tended to like to wrap her bacon in a less than optimum package. Which none of her officers liked.

Putting a flagship in the very middle of the wall minimizes communication speed lag to the edges of it. It also, alas, puts the flagship in a predictable position. Varying the position by a bit still leaves you with most of the command loop benefit without being quite in the middle of a bulls-eye.

Commanding from one of a force's less powerful units is fairly common in the books, though still a divergence from standard practice in the universe. Lester Tourville stuck to BC flagships in the late Peep era, to avoid being in a unit likely to get targeted in the crush of walls. Any flag officer commanding from a CLAC gets that, such as Honor for the Silesian/Marsh operations in War of Honor or Alice Truman at First Manticore. In those cases, if I recall correctly, Honor wanted mostly to retain Rafe Cardones as he flag captain and didn't want to disrupt things so much as to take him off to another ship to do so, and Truman inherited command at First Manticore due to so many seniors getting killed. Staying with a preferred/familiar flag captain and flagship kept Mike Henke on a less-than-the-largest ship in 10th Fleet after it got reinforced.

In any case, with formations opening up only a little and FTL communications opening comms up vastly, the rationale for being in the middle of the wall is gone. There may be a morale point in sharing the danger with the ships drawing fire, but there's a lot of practicality in putting your flag on a ship the enemy has no or little reason to try to target except to kill the fleet's commanding officer. For my part, I'd rather my CO is able to maintain effective, well-informed command throughout battle than that their butt is just as vulnerable as mine or more so.

Do forgive my unauthorized emblazoning of your prose.

Ships are also placed in the middle of the formation to enjoy optimum CM support, I thought.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Bill Woods   » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:21 am

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

SWM wrote:
cthia wrote:Wasn't aware that the flagship had been identified. I suppose triangulation of the signal via the Hermes buoys would have yielded fruit, if both legs of the signal could have been passed through Hermes.

But anyways, what could Filareta possibly know? Except for more Manty bashing.

Filareta's flagship was definitely identified, because Honor sent her communication specifically to his ship by laser. No one else heard the message.

Mmm, maybe. The first message was specifically addressed to 'Admiral Filareta, CO 11th Fleet', but I doubt it was on a tight beam. The first couple of of rounds, Honor was transmitting from her flagship a light-minute away. It might be possible to hit a single moving ship at that range, but why bother? At that stage, she was showing off her knowledge of his plans, but not her tech. Though her recon platforms surely identified his flagship when he responded.

The final rounds, she was flaunting her FTL comm buoys, but the text doesn't say it was a tight beam. If I were in her place, I'd want all the squadron and ship commanders to be clear on the facts that (A) they were hopelessly outgunned, but (B) they were being offered a chance to surrender.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by JeffEngel   » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:23 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

cthia wrote:
JeffEngel wrote:Putting a flagship in the very middle of the wall minimizes communication speed lag to the edges of it. It also, alas, puts the flagship in a predictable position. Varying the position by a bit still leaves you with most of the command loop benefit without being quite in the middle of a bulls-eye.

Do forgive my unauthorized emblazoning of your prose.

Ships are also placed in the middle of the formation to enjoy optimum CM support, I thought.

The ships are in the wall at all to stay out of each other's lines of fire, to be able to roll wedges and present a fairly tight near-continuous surface, and to share point defense. The center would be in the best position for CM coverage from the rest of the wall, yes, but I do not suspect that that defensive benefit would outweigh the danger the flagship is in from being in a known location and available for specific or nearly specific targeting.

I don't recall any instances of targeting on a formation being directed at the edges of the wall/plate particularly, which is what one would expect if the CM coverage out there were much weaker than at the center. (Their firepower out there is equal, in any case, so if you can reduce the firepower coming out you more readily going after the less defended targets first, you would.)

But that's just based on recollection and my brain is in rotten shape today, so I welcome correction.
Post by kzt   » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:48 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

You shouldn't even be able to directly target a ship at the center of the wall if they are fighting rolled, or roll as your salvo approaches. The interval between ships is so small that you shouldn't be able to reliably fit a MDM inside it, and also at that range the time available for the warhead to target the ship is going to be single digit milliseconds. You just don't have very long when you are 300 km away and only can see the sidewalls for the time it takes you to cross 600 km of space at .8c.
Post by phillies   » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:38 pm

phillies
Admiral

cthia wrote:
VAST SNIPPAGE

I woke up this morning with a slight admonition from my sister's 13-yr-old Alberta Einstein, in the form of an email. :roll: :lol:

email from niece wrote:Hi Uncle,
Guess what?! You guessed! We are going back to Stonehenge for pi day!!! Mother is learning to bribe me. I had to give up this summer's trip to Geneva. But she doesn't know that I've been invited to tag along with Aunt Beatrice. Ha! But she's getting better, so I'm going to have to alter my tactics. Mums the word.(literally)

Hey, you didn't respond to your mobile last night. So you were either asleep or in your lab. I checked on the forum and you hadn't posted since earlier in the night so I surmised you were asleep. I saw an interesting post and I'm surprised at you. You must be getting old Uncle. Of course Honor would have identified Filareta's ship through simple interferometry. An entire essay on it can be found in Volume IV of my journal during the time I got my first radio telescope to build. Remember that kit we shipped from Germany?

Here is a summary. Ship probes will represent Earth bound telescopes. I'm sure you will want to post it, so I'll try and accommodate forum format, since physics symbols still fail to display properly.

Interferometry

R = lambda/D

Where the Resolution is equal to the source we are trying to observe(lambda) over the diameter of the telescope(D)

It is used to determine the diameter of the telescope we need to build to achieve a particular resolution. However, building larger and larger diameter telescopes is rather expensive. Fortunately, that problem can be circumvented by using several antennas strategically placed. Strategically, meaning their distance from each other is not haphazard, because the equation R = lambda/D modifies into lambda/B. Where B represents the largest separation between any two telescopes. The separation acts as the effective diameter of the array.

Let's say that we have two antennas(probes) i and j separated by a distance B. Pointing the probes at the source(ships) whose distance we already know we will receive the signal at different times, directly related to the distance from each ship. The probe closest to the source will receive the signal first. The difference in the time of the signal received by the probe farther away is called the geometric delay.(tau) We know that the velocity of our waves is the speed of light.

In interferometry, we need to determine the distance to the source from each telescope. Whereas that is accomplished by tau = b dot s/c.

b dot s is simply the unit vector. However, this stage can be skipped because in the Honorverse we already know the distance to each ship.

[huge snip]

This is all very simple Uncle. It can be found in Volume IV of my journal, when I received my first telescope.

I so enjoyed riding Glue Factory Uncle. I think he missed me terribly. There were tears in his eyes. I loathe certain aspects of the winter.

See ya,
Tierney

Oh the time that the youth has on their hands. And their memory. I should have remembered that from school if not from her journal. Although, her journal is so chock-full of stuff that a certain dosage of aspirin is advised before perusing. Aspirin, peace and quiet, serenity, a super-computer and a few technical assistants.

I'll pay for that.

Yes, interferometry does have that sort of resolution, especially noting that the detectors can be much more than the one earth diameter apart that is the upper limit on our current radio detectors. Readers may look up the early 70s or so quasar study that estimated the size of the source, when it was across the universe from us, using all the large radio telescopes in the world as a single (atomic clocks) detector to improve angular resolution.

George, D.Sc. (Physics) M.I.T. (1973)
Post by phillies   » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:44 pm

phillies
Admiral

Also, if the laser source had, say, a half-meter output end, a beam the size of the late lamented's flagship at a light minute out is reasonable. And IF the source has pieces across Honor's ship. it is not even impressive.

Readers should take up a collection to give Cthia's niece a few reasonable books. Emmy Noether's Wonderful Theorem -- Dwight E. Neuenschwander comes to mind.

fixed capitalized word Trussed Knots Thigh Spiel Chequer
Last edited by phillies on Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:36 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:Wasn't aware that the flagship had been identified. I suppose triangulation of the signal via the Hermes buoys would have yielded fruit, if both legs of the signal could have been passed through Hermes.

But anyways, what could Filareta possibly know? Except for more Manty bashing.

SWM wrote:Filareta's flagship was definitely identified, because Honor sent her communication specifically to his ship by laser. No one else heard the message.

Bill Woods wrote:Mmm, maybe. The first message was specifically addressed to 'Admiral Filareta, CO 11th Fleet', but I doubt it was on a tight beam. The first couple of of rounds, Honor was transmitting from her flagship a light-minute away. It might be possible to hit a single moving ship at that range, but why bother? At that stage, she was showing off her knowledge of his plans, but not her tech. Though her recon platforms surely identified his flagship when he responded.

The final rounds, she was flaunting her FTL comm buoys, but the text doesn't say it was a tight beam. If I were in her place, I'd want all the squadron and ship commanders to be clear on the facts that (A) they were hopelessly outgunned, but (B) they were being offered a chance to surrender.

Leaving all the assorted physics out of it, I spent years intercepting comms and determining the specific echelon of traffic by virtue building a net diagram. Small units are replicated everywhere; command nets don't get so many outstations, and include other command elements.

Signal officers in the Honorverse also function as signals intelligence, and monitor transmissions in the communications frequencies(as early as OBS); a few minutes of watching signals being cycled through after the transit--the units will have to be reporting status, etc, and the Manties will id all of the squadron flagships; and the fleet flagship will be the one all of those squadron flagships are talking to. . . It doesn't take an astro-physicist or engineer to do that, it is totally obvious once you diagram it. The emitters might be tight-beam lasers, but you don't have to read their traffic or intercept it--just observe the traffic flow of the comms and you will id the flagships.

I agree that Honor's comms to Filareta went out to all ships; why rub just Filareta's nose in SLN inferiority, when you can let all his officer enjoy it?

Cthia, a girl that young who is that smart is almost frightening. :D

Rob
Post by StealthSeeker   » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:00 pm

StealthSeeker
Commander

cthia wrote:
I woke up this morning with a slight admonition from my sister's 13-yr-old Alberta Einstein, in the form of an email. :roll: :lol:

By your “Alberta Einstein” description you appear to have a niece similar to one I have. She can quote facts and form sound counter arguments while making it all seem as part of a pleasant teasing social interaction. Nor is she timid, she once waded in to a conversation, at about the age you are talking about (maybe a little less), with her opinionated and fairly religious great-uncle by very frontally and teasingly asking the question of whether or not he believed in reincarnation. Once the great-uncle recovered from his initial shock, she then took him to task about his responses and doing so with out filling him with anger.

When she first met my sons, who are about her age, she had them so completely confused within the first half hour that I think my sons were beginning to wonder if they didn't walk on air and breath dirt. And she kept them grinning the whole time. She is a handful!!! And a one in a million treasure.

Then again I once had a friend who has a daughter of equal intelligence but lacking the social skills and comes across as a total pain in the ass. Here is to hoping your niece is the former not the latter. If so, I'm sure you treasure your “Alberta Einstein” just as much as I have my niece.

An impressive library! It now needs to move in to the future a little bit where it "checks out" copies of books by putting a time limited access copy of the book directly onto your own book reader. And if you really need a hard copy of the book it can get you one, even if the book is out of print and not on the shelf, by printing a single copy, binding it, making a royalty payment (if still required) and delivering it to you with in 15 minutes.

And regardless of the library, you still have to make a child believe that going to one is a worth while thing to do. Other than say... setting a new high score in their favorite RPG game.

Kudos to your sister!
-
-
I think therefore I am.... I think
Post by SWM   » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:05 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

StealthSeeker wrote:

An impressive library! It now needs to move in to the future a little bit where it "checks out" copies of books by putting a time limited access copy of the book directly onto your own book reader. And if you really need a hard copy of the book it can get you one, even if the book is out of print and not on the shelf, by printing a single copy, binding it, making a royalty payment (if still required) and delivering it to you with in 15 minutes.

And regardless of the library, you still have to make a child believe that going to one is a worth while thing to do. Other than say... setting a new high score in their favorite RPG game.

Kudos to your sister!

If NCSU is like most academic libraries, you don't need to check out e-books. At my university, and at most others, we have agreements that allow our students, staff, and faculty to just access the e-books we subscribe to, directly, at any time and without a limit on how long you can access it. You don't even need an e-book reader, though you could access it through most current e-book readers. You can just pull it up on your computer, laptop, tablet, or even your smart phone through a link in the library catalog.

As for your idea of print-on-demand, that really isn't something a library could just set up for themselves. But the problem is the publishers, not the libraries. Publishers are not going to give permission to libraries to do that. So it is not the library that needs to move into the future--it is the academic publishing industry.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by cthia   » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:53 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

StealthSeeker wrote:

Kudos to your sister!

SWM wrote:If NCSU is like most academic libraries, you don't need to check out e-books. At my university, and at most others, we have agreements that allow our students, staff, and faculty to just access the e-books we subscribe to, directly, at any time and without a limit on how long you can access it. You don't even need an e-book reader, though you could access it through most current e-book readers. You can just pull it up on your computer, laptop, tablet, or even your smart phone through a link in the library catalog.

As for your idea of print-on-demand, that really isn't something a library could just set up for themselves. But the problem is the publishers, not the libraries. Publishers are not going to give permission to libraries to do that. So it is not the library that needs to move into the future--it is the academic publishing industry.

Indeed. Also at this library, you have the same access to the ebooks as you mention, but if you don't have an ereader, alas, you can check out a tablet!

Along with thumb drives, docking stations, cables, digital equipment, etc. etc. They give you a suitcase that raises brows from most students. "What's this stuff?"

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse