Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 159 guests

Expanded Universe

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Expanded Universe
Post by Hasek   » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:36 pm

Hasek
Ensign

Will we ever see one for the Honorverse?

From what I've seen the hardest part about "EU" books is keeping the underlying "reality" consistent. With RFC's extensive notes and BuNine keeping track of the tech bible, i think the Honorverse could pull it off. There's so much time and space, that many full novels could be wrote without ever impacting the story line. Plus all the possible prequels that could be wrote! Think of how many books the Final War could fill.

With the internet and BuNine i think RFC could set up an review process that would keep everything inline.

Thoughts?
Re: Expanded Universe
Post by Theemile   » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:55 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Hasek wrote:Will we ever see one for the Honorverse?

From what I've seen the hardest part about "EU" books is keeping the underlying "reality" consistent. With RFC's extensive notes and BuNine keeping track of the tech bible, i think the Honorverse could pull it off. There's so much time and space, that many full novels could be wrote without ever impacting the story line. Plus all the possible prequels that could be wrote! Think of how many books the Final War could fill.

With the internet and BuNine i think RFC could set up an review process that would keep everything inline.

Thoughts?

David's VERY firm on Fan Fic (as in ZERO)

But he has started to expand the universe by allowing Tomothy Zahn to write the Manticore Ascendant books and (I'm sorry, her name escapes me) to write the 3 Stephanie Harrington YA novels. In addition we have the 6 anthologies to date with additions (for better or worse) from other authors.

In addition, there is the Jayne's books and the SITS games with more (but questionable) background.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by MaxxQ   » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:22 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

Theemile wrote:
Hasek wrote:Will we ever see one for the Honorverse?

Thoughts?

David's VERY firm on Fan Fic (as in ZERO)

But he has started to expand the universe by allowing Tomothy Zahn to write the Manticore Ascendant books and (I'm sorry, her name escapes me) to write the 3 Stephanie Harrington YA novels. In addition we have the 6 anthologies to date with additions (for better or worse) from other authors.

In addition, there is the Jayne's books and the SITS games with more (but questionable) background.

Jane Lindskold
Post by Theemile   » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:12 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

MaxxQ wrote:
Theemile wrote:David's VERY firm on Fan Fic (as in ZERO)

Jane Lindskold

Thanks, MaxxQ
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by SharkHunter   » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:36 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

I've thought about the possibility of creating a sidereal universe, that is, one that diverged from RFC's story lines far enough in the past to have been "lost" from the SL/Haven sector space long enough in the past but with clues towards "similar tech, different names and capabilities" that it would be outside of the controllable realm, but useful enough that if Baen/David wanted to play, we'd have a sandbox.

For example, an early impeller driven exploration vehicle manages to survive what was effectively a "wormhole transit", but gets tossed 900LY past Haven sector space, no way to get back, but finds a useful ecosphere soon enough to begin their own colony/universe development, etc.

Thoughts?
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by roseandheather   » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:57 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:I've thought about the possibility of creating a sidereal universe, that is, one that diverged from RFC's story lines far enough in the past to have been "lost" from the SL/Haven sector space long enough in the past but with clues towards "similar tech, different names and capabilities" that it would be outside of the controllable realm, but useful enough that if Baen/David wanted to play, we'd have a sandbox.

For example, an early impeller driven exploration vehicle manages to survive what was effectively a "wormhole transit", but gets tossed 900LY past Haven sector space, no way to get back, but finds a useful ecosphere soon enough to begin their own colony/universe development, etc.

Thoughts?

*cough* Republic of Cinnabar Navy series *cough*
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by SharkHunter   » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:17 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

roseandheather wrote:*cough* Republic of Cinnabar Navy series *cough*
Had to put my Yabut hat on for that one... and will read a couple of sample chapters just to see if I need to start a new space opera addiction.

My "yabut hat" says, nah, we need our own totally separate place to play! with the presumption that the "Honorverse physics" apply, no matter what they're called by our "lost" folks, aka with gravitic drives, grav- / hyperspace waves, and wormholes. Pretty much every thing "after" being derivatives of the tech that it would take to use those space-traversing technologies and still eventually "fit back in" if the RMN/GA etc. discovered them later.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by Chev   » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:57 am

Chev
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I would like to read a book series on Sarnow & Bachfisch's getting Silesia under control & organized. Much to uncover there & many adventures. I think it is far enough back not to push ahead of the mainline stories.
Post by saber964   » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:45 pm

saber964
Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:
Had to put my Yabut hat on for that one... and will read a couple of sample chapters just to see if I need to start a new space opera addiction.

My "yabut hat" says, nah, we need our own totally separate place to play! with the presumption that the "Honorverse physics" apply, no matter what they're called by our "lost" folks, aka with gravitic drives, grav- / hyperspace waves, and wormholes. Pretty much every thing "after" being derivatives of the tech that it would take to use those space-traversing technologies and still eventually "fit back in" if the RMN/GA etc. discovered them later.

If you want some pretty good and entertaining space opera sific try Paul Honsinger's Man of war series(2+1 Books )or Andrew Beery's Catherin Kimbridge Chronicles (5 Books) and maybe R.M Meluch's Tour of the Merrimack series (5 Books)
Post by SharkHunter   » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:40 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

saber964 wrote:
SharkHunter wrote:Had to put my Yabut hat on for that one... and will read a couple of sample chapters just to see if I need to start a new space opera addiction.

If you want some pretty good and entertaining space opera sific try Paul Honsinger's Man of war series(2+1 Books )or Andrew Beery's Catherin Kimbridge Chronicles (5 Books) and maybe R.M Meluch's Tour of the Merrimack series (5 Books)
Thanks! those are likely to scratch the READER itch. It's the WRITER itch that has my fingers twitching more uncontrollably, however.
---------------------

Return to Honorverse