Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S and 157 guests

Beating up Frontier Fleet, mercilessly

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Beating up Frontier Fleet, mercilessly
Post by Theemile   » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:15 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
Theemile wrote:Havenite tactics are still built around 8 SD(p)s - don't forget to add a CLAC for defenses and mop up tactics.

They still operate 8 ship squadrons. And you're right that they probably normally operate a full squadron of 8 SD(P)s with an attached division of 2 CLACs (or possibly 2 divisions; depending in need or target).

But I suppose it's possible that they've organized some 'mixed' squadrons, where it's 3 divisions of SD(P)s and 1 division of CLACs making up a single squadron.

I'm not certain if Haven will mix a squadron like that. Since squadron formations are actual tactical formations with interlocked offensive and defensive fire, not just administrative movement groups, adding in the CLACs is pointless, since their tactics can be summed up as "drop and run" - leaving holes in the Havenite squadron defenses. Unless they've wipped up a 6 ship tactical formation (which doesnt seem likely), they would probably go with a 10 ship (8+2) mixed squadron for strategic movement.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Bill Woods   » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:57 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

SWM wrote:Okay, I think I found the information. This comes from an RMN roleplaying site, but it matches my vague memory of the infodump from Weber. Destroyer units are different sizes from most other classes:

A Destroyer Division is 3-4 destroyers.
A Destroyer Squadron is 3-4 divisions (around 12 destroyers, I think).
A Destroyer Flotilla is 2-3 squadrons.
The Roland-class squadron in 10th Fleet was originally 8 ships in 2 divisions.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by SWM   » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:34 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Bill Woods wrote:
SWM wrote:Okay, I think I found the information. This comes from an RMN roleplaying site, but it matches my vague memory of the infodump from Weber. Destroyer units are different sizes from most other classes:

The Roland-class squadron in 10th Fleet was originally 8 ships in 2 divisions.

Remember that was at the time that Janacek was pushing 6-ship squadrons for larger ships. It makes sense that he would similarly reduce destroyer squadron sizes.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by n7axw   » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:28 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:
Remember that was at the time that Janacek was pushing 6-ship squadrons for larger ships. It makes sense that he would similarly reduce destroyer squadron sizes.

Gotta have command slots for all those political admirals, don'tcha know... :lol:

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by stewart   » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:33 am

stewart
Captain of the List

SWM wrote:"Bill Woods"]"SWM"]Okay, I think I found the information. This comes from an RMN roleplaying site, but it matches my vague memory of the infodump from Weber. Destroyer units are different sizes from most other classes:

The Roland-class squadron in 10th Fleet was originally 8 ships in 2 divisions.[/quote]
Remember that was at the time that Janacek was pushing 6-ship squadrons for larger ships. It makes sense that he would similarly reduce destroyer squadron sizes.[/quote]

------------------

Generally, a ship squadron, whether FF / DD / CG-CA or larger is 6 to 8, 8 being the norm.
A flotilla is normally discussed in terms of frigates and destroyers and is 4-6 squadrons -- massed firepower overcoming (theoretically) the smaller gun calibers (or missile compliment in the Honorverse)

For CA-CG / BC and larger, when the organizational units are multiple squadrons, they are normally termed as Task Groups or Task Forces (nebulous terms that are applied to a short-termed organization).

-- Stewart

Return to Honorverse