Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], markusschaber and 153 guests

Book covers

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Book covers
Post by Bill Woods   » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:49 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

Some of the recent book covers are puzzling.

A Rising Thunder shows Honor disembarking from a shuttle to the top of a skyscraper. There's lightning in the background, which fits the title, but I can't think of a scene in the book that this illustrates. What it does bring to mind is her initial landing on Haven in Mission of Honor, though if that's what it is, the lack of guardrails is especially risky.

Shadow of Freedom shows Honor looking at an image of a whole bunch of ships getting all blown up. More lightning in the background. Since there are a couple of other people with treecats, they're probably reviewing Filareta's demise. Maybe Theisman to her right, and Elizabeth and Pritchart to her left? But why is this cover on this book, rather than Thunder, where it would fit nicely. The book had to have a picture of Honor — even though she isn't in the book — or buyers wouldn't know it's "A New Honorverse Novel"?

Cauldron of Ghosts shows Victor, Anton, and three others in a slummy neighborhood. Thandi, Yana, and some guy? Nothing really wrong with it, though neither the pile of buildings in the midground nor the skyscraper in the background match the description of Neue Rostock. And apparently streetlights haven't changed much in the last two thousand years.
Last edited by Bill Woods on Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Re: Book covers
Post by HB of CJ   » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:58 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

Excellent eye. Every good artist has their own interpretation of what they want to present and how. For example, if it was NOT left to me, (fortunately) ...

I would have each novel cover be almost the same; with a semi close up of the face, head and shoulders of Honor with a different background of various future stuff.

Then we could see the visual slight on going process of aging and wisdom of the main character ... Honor. Just me. From the start to the present. HB of CJ (old coot)

Edit; PS; I also somewhere on the cover would have the novel number so dummies like me would not buy a hard cover novel ... twice! :) You know, like 1 ... 2 ... 3 ... 4, etc.
Post by Hutch   » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:27 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Bill Woods wrote:Some of the recent book covers are puzzling.

Concur

A Rising Thunder shows Honor disembarking from a shuttle to the top of a skyscraper. There's lightning in the background, which fits the title, but I can't think of a scene in the book that this illustrates. What it does bring to mind is her initial landing on Haven in Mission of Honor, though if that's what it is, the lack of guardrails is especially risky.

I always presumed that it was Honor returning to the Naval Building (damned if I can remember it's official name) post-Filareta to brief the assembled multitudes.

As for the lack of guardrails, I presume that some sort of gravity catch/forcefield is in place.

Shadow of Freedom shows Honor looking at an image of a whole bunch of ships getting all blown up. More lightning in the background. Since there are a couple of other people with treecats, they're probably reviewing Filareta's demise. Maybe Theisman to her right, and Elizabeth and Pritchart to her left? But why is this cover on this book, rather than Thunder, where it would fit nicely. The book had to have a picture of Honor — even though she isn't in the book — or buyers wouldn't know it's "A New Honorverse Novel"?

I have been carping about that cover for quite awhile, it would have been an excellent cover for A Rising Thunder, but made no sense for Shadow of Freedom.

Cauldron of Ghosts shows Victor, Anton, and three others in a slummy neighborhood. Thandi, Yana, and some guy? Nothing really wrong with it, though neither the pile of buildings in the midground nor the skyscraper in the background match the description of Neue Rostock. And apparently streetlights haven't changed much in the last two thousand years.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that one, since they do try and set the stage with the appropriate characters.

One problem (I think, I could be wrong) is a lot of the covers are requested before the book is even turned in, or the artist only has a bare outline to go on. So they do the best that they can.

Our friend Genkis, who does the covers for the French versions of the Honorverse, at least has the chance to read to novels first so his artwork (which is outstanding anyway) oftne does reflect the actual book.

Still, right now, I'd like to see a new book pushing the story on with any cover at all.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by SWM   » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:17 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Bill, I'm afraid you've been spoiled. So many covers for Honorverse books have actually had something to do with the plot that you have forgotten that this is almost never true in the publishing industry. :)

Seriously, don't bother trying to figure out the covers. The artists generally don't know what is in the stories.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by cthia   » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:36 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Two words. Artistic license. It also extends to book covers. And remember, a cover's rendition's main focus is to sell books. Sell. Sell. Sell. Then if accomplished, it is the author's job to repeat the sell. I'd much rather get an inaccurate cover and a good read, rather than an accurate cover, and never finish the book. How many books have the cover sold me, but the author lost me and the book was tossed.

And it does work. I bought On Basilisk Station on cover art alone. Because of the author, I've never looked back. I even forget about what's on the cover for what's in the book of a good read.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse