Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 144 guests

Brave New Worlds-Political Changes in the Honorverse

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Brave New Worlds-Political Changes in the Honorverse
Post by JeffEngel   » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:23 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

drothgery wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:I get the opposite impression; I've pictured the Judean League as "Israel In Space," an isolationist preserve separate from any other political loyalty.

I'm almost certain there's Word of God (aka RFC) that the Judean League members are part of the Solarian League (pending the collapse of said league).

Please see: http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/en ... gton/288/1

Specifically:
Oh, by the way, in regard to your question about the Judean League. I'm afraid it is part of the Solarian League, but its sympathies are definitely not with the "Mandarins," as Kolokoltsov and his buddies have been christened by the Solarian newsies. I haven't entirely decided how the JL will play out in the League's internal dynamics as the situation with the Star Empire goes further and further into the crapper, but I think you can take it for granted that Kolokoltsov won't like whatever it ends up doing. [EG]

It's also notable for being among the political entities that joined the League as multistellar states, rather than single systems.
Post by n7axw   » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:53 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Hi Hutch,

You've done a whale of a job with this. About the only thing I would do a bit differently is to sort away the shell from the core worlds. The core has been favored by the League's economic policies at the expense of the shell and the shell is well aware of it and would be less enamored with the League and consequently more restive.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by akira.taylor   » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:25 am

akira.taylor
Captain (Junior Grade)

JeffEngel wrote:
drothgery wrote:
I'm almost certain there's Word of God (aka RFC) that the Judean League members are part of the Solarian League (pending the collapse of said league).

Specifically:
Oh, by the way, in regard to your question about the Judean League. I'm afraid it is part of the Solarian League, but its sympathies are definitely not with the "Mandarins," as Kolokoltsov and his buddies have been christened by the Solarian newsies. I haven't entirely decided how the JL will play out in the League's internal dynamics as the situation with the Star Empire goes further and further into the crapper, but I think you can take it for granted that Kolokoltsov won't like whatever it ends up doing. [EG]

It's also notable for being among the political entities that joined the League as multistellar states, rather than single systems.

Do you have a quote for that last point? I could have sworn Weber said there weren't any multi-system polities in the League. (Now, that doesn't mean a multi-system polity didn't join, just that it did so as several systems, not a single unit.)
Post by SharkHunter   » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:27 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

--snipping--

Specifically:
runsforcelery wrote: Oh, by the way, in regard to your question about the Judean League. I'm afraid it is part of the Solarian League, but its sympathies are definitely not with the "Mandarins," as Kolokoltsov and his buddies have been christened by the Solarian newsies. I haven't entirely decided how the JL will play out in the League's internal dynamics as the situation with the Star Empire goes further and further into the crapper, but I think you can take it for granted that Kolokoltsov won't like whatever it ends up doing. [EG]
I don't think David has said, but my impression wasn't that the JL had it's own star systems, so much as it exists in much of the League as a significant piece of the populace that isn't about to go along with the Mandarins when push come to shove, especially because the GA has taken the wheel in terms of defending true freedoms.

Thoughts? agree/disagree/textev?
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by SWM   » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:59 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

akira.taylor wrote:Do you have a quote for that last point? I could have sworn Weber said there weren't any multi-system polities in the League. (Now, that doesn't mean a multi-system polity didn't join, just that it did so as several systems, not a single unit.)

I think you are mistaken. David has said more than once that the League contains both single-system and multi-system members.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by stewart   » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:00 am

stewart
Captain of the List

Hutch --

Great analysis.

I would add that the "Official Protectorate" systems are likely to have a better transition, if Meyers is a typical example, due to OFS maintaining a figleaf of planetary / system administration. Removal of OFS and restoring any junction transit fees (if a wormhole terminus is involved) and removing OFS's "administrative fees" will provide a significant boost to the local planetary financial system.

The interstellar corporate systems (ex. Mobius) may have a harder time due to less functional social / political infrastructure present.

The unofficial protectorates (ex. Saltash) are going to be a case by case basis. In Saltash's case, can they lay aside their old grievances (the ones that brought in OFS) to establish a functional system government ?

-- Stewart
Post by JeffEngel   » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:43 am

JeffEngel
Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:--snipping--

Specifically:
runsforcelery wrote: Oh, by the way, in regard to your question about the Judean League. I'm afraid it is part of the Solarian League, but its sympathies are definitely not with the "Mandarins," as Kolokoltsov and his buddies have been christened by the Solarian newsies. I haven't entirely decided how the JL will play out in the League's internal dynamics as the situation with the Star Empire goes further and further into the crapper, but I think you can take it for granted that Kolokoltsov won't like whatever it ends up doing. [EG]
I don't think David has said, but my impression wasn't that the JL had it's own star systems, so much as it exists in much of the League as a significant piece of the populace that isn't about to go along with the Mandarins when push come to shove, especially because the GA has taken the wheel in terms of defending true freedoms.

Thoughts? agree/disagree/textev?

Bit more that bears on it:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3164&p=71547&hilit=Judean#p71547
The quote you've used is being taken somewhat out of context (which may well be my fault because of the way in which it was phrased). There are not numerous subunits which consist of multi-system star nations within the League. There are, rather, political alliances of mutually independent star systems which form local political alliances within the League. The situation I'm trying to describe here would be analagous to the sectional alliances within the US before the American Civil War (although without the overtones of mutual antagonism), or of the alliance of "Western fire eaters" who wanted war with Great Britain in 1812 (because they hoped to grab off Canada) as opposed to the Nprtheastern states which opposed the War of 1812 because of their (accurate) fear for its effect on their economies when the blockade clamped down. There are at least two multui-system star nations which (officially) surrendered their sovereignty when they joined the SL (and whose members operate in very close political alliance within the League to this day) but there are no official multi-system political units within the League.

Now for the purposes of the original discussion (as I underdstand it) --- that there are, within the League's current boundaries, multi-system units which could combine their resources to build a potent naval force --- it doesn't really matter whether or not they are formally politically united at this time. What matters is that they're neighboring systems with a tradition of working together. Which, after all, is exactly what the Mesan Alignment is planning to rely on in the Renaissance Factor, when all's said and done.

So while there are more than zero multistellar states that joined the League, most regional political groupings within it haven't been that formally organized before or during the League era. Which one the Judean League is is not crystal-clear, but the implication leans toward not one of the previously existing star nations with this post. Still, what with the capital letters and the full expectation of a single, organized response from them, the difference may not be particularly critical.

It is, at any rate, not a dispersed pressure group like the Renaissance Association (not to be confused with the Renaissance Factor, please).

Return to Honorverse