Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 137 guests

Comedy/Tragedy of Errors: Stupidity in the Honorverse

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Comedy/Tragedy of Errors: Stupidity in the Honorverse
Post by Valen123456   » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:49 pm

Valen123456
Lieutenant Commander

Lets have another compilation of our favorite/most moving/best remembered cases from the Honorverse.

We have had our best laughs, most bad-ass, tragic, and romantic threads. Now lets have a look at idiocy. We have had some perfectly brilliant, wise, and insightful moments throughout the story, but we also have had some moments of simple plain idiocy, foolishness, incompetence and total brainlessness. From Pavel Young to the SLN, faceless goons to Honor herself, lets have a look at the times when thought really was not involved.

PS. This should include deliberate and inadvertent actions with results ranging from the funny through to tragic.
Re: Comedy/Tragedy of Errors: Stupidity in the Honorverse
Post by Hutch   » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:05 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

The first one that popped into my mind is Byng opening fire on three destroyers since, with no wedges and no sidewalls and no energy batteries run out, they were a massive threat to his seventeen Battlecruisers and eight destroyers.

As stupid goes, that is hard to top (he did try to top it by confronting Mike Henke, but instead got a Darwin award).
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by SharkHunter   » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:18 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Elvis Santino, any edition. Though I'd primarily refer to "not listening to his Tac Officer and withdrawing from Seaford" as among the most boneheaded moves in any of the books.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by cthia   » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:20 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Good one Hutch. But I'll see your bid and raise you one Pavel Young.

A normal human male who thinks he can rape a genetically enhanced Sphinxian who knows martial arts.

Ouch!

Honor put her foot so far up Pavel's ass that her toenails were painted with blood from his spleen!

Now that I think about it. He got raped!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by SWM   » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:37 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Corporal Heinrich Johnson, for deliberately choosing to let a prisoner hack the computer system of the Tepes.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by cthia   » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:49 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:Elvis Santino, any edition. Though I'd primarily refer to "not listening to his Tac Officer and withdrawing from Seaford" as among the most boneheaded moves in any of the books.

Good one as well. I considered it too.

Even after Andreea Jaruwalski warned him of death, he pretty much said ... "This is a good day to die than look stupid."

Wait. What? Huh?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by JeffEngel   » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:51 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

Hereditary President Harris, thinking that war with Manticore was the key to dealing with popular raise about the BLS not going up and retaining personal and political security and control.
Post by cthia   » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:17 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Edmond Marchant publicly called, not just any woman, but Honor Harrington - at her own rally with her own admirers and followers, a whore! On Grayson!

" :o Oh shit! Did I just say that? Tester please help me! I done phucked-up now!"

Post by cthia   » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:38 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I'm with White Haven in War of Honor...
"Do you know," he said in a conversational, almost pleasant tone, "if I hadn't heard it with my own ears I wouldn't have believed it was possible for you to get even stupider."

Stupid is as Janacek does.

Post by SharkHunter   » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:45 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

I was going to say "Steadholder Burdette" coming within sword range of Honor when she was righteously pissed. That said, he did save on his own personal embarrasment and shorten his "trial" down to a few microseconds, and saved the planet the cost of any appeals...

Decapitation will do that for you.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all

Return to Honorverse