Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 128 guests

Comedy/Tragedy of Errors: Stupidity in the Honorverse

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Comedy/Tragedy of Errors: Stupidity in the Honorverse
Post by stewart   » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:12 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

Hutch wrote:Returning to the Topic (never in the course of human events have so many topics changed subjects so often in so short a time as this place... 8-) ;) ), here is one where the person actually admits he's been stupid...

Shadow of Freedom,as Stephen Westman reflects:

The real problem, he admitted to himself, was that he had been played like a fiddle by “Firebrand,” the Mesan agent provocateur who’d offered to provide his own resistance effort with weapons for his campaign to prevent Montana from becoming part of the Star Empire of Manticore. He’d done some stupid things in his life, but right off hand, he couldn’t think of any which had been stupider than that one. For one thing, he’d been wrong about the Manties. For that matter, he’d even been wrong about Bernardus Van Dort, and that had been a really unpleasant pill to swallow. But what he found even harder to forgive himself for was accepting Firebrand at face value. When he’d discovered he’d actually been working with something as foul as Manpower, Incorporated…

-------------

As noted elsewhere, stupidity born of ignorance can be cured. Westman shows that he can learn and is therefore trainable (and curable)

-- Stewart
Post by stewart   » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:28 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

roseandheather wrote:Giancola. :evil: Of all the careless, cruel, thick-headed, cruel, selfish, cruel, thoughtless, selfish, cruel asshats in this 'verse, I hate Giancola the most.

I will never forgive him for what he did to my girl. Not if I live to see the death of the universe. I only wish he had died in a more painful, bloody, agonizing, prolonged fashion. Hung, drawn and quartered would be good. So would being torn apart by wild horses. Or flayed open and doused with saltwater.

--------------

Rose --

Better add Jezebel's fate -- thrown from a balcony, then having her body torn apart and scattered by feral dogs...

there was nothing for even a closed casket funeral.

-- Stewart
Post by stewart   » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:33 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

Rob the Fiend wrote:"stewart"]"SharkHunter"]I was going to say "Steadholder Burdette" coming within sword range of Honor when she was righteously pissed. That said, he did save on his own personal embarrasment and shorten his "trial" down to a few microseconds, and saved the planet the cost of any appeals...

Decapitation will do that for you.

--------------

Actually full dis-memberment -- after Honors sword cuts, I think there were 5 separate body parts.

-- Stewart[/quote]

IIRC she opened him up from right sholder to left hip.
The only bodypart to actually get detached was the head.[/quote]

----------

I was thinking both legs separated (or near separated) from the trunk, one arm separated (or near separated at the shoulder), and of course, Burdette lost his head over the whole incident.

-- Stewart
Post by stewart   » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:44 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

[quote="cthia"]

One glaring problem with adopting dueling in the Honorverse is similar to adopting the metric system on Old Earth.

You want to know what's wrong with the metric system? You can't put a foot up someone's ass or beat someone to within an inch of their life.

A centimeter isn't bloody enough of a pulp and a millimeter is almost certain death.

---------------

But 9mm (or 10mm) especially at a high velocity CAN solve a multitude of problems (named Summervale and Young)

But I always preferred a .45-70 Hollowpoint for a permanent solution.

-- Stewart
Post by stewart   » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:52 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:People's Commissioners were emplaced to watch the Officers, but no one was emplaced to watch the Commissioners.

They should have been emplaced by twos.

-------------------

As the proverb goes

"Who will watch the watchers ?"

-- Stewart
Post by Theemile   » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:35 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:I'm not quite sure I know what girl of which Rose refers. Any help?

Eloise Pritchert - Giancola's machinations almost brought down her government, the constitution, and the republic - in short everything she attempted to do after the coup.

Even if the RH had won the war, proof of what Giancola had done threatened to bring down Pritchert's government before the traditions necessary for the transition of power in a constitutional government solified - and Pritchert knew the jackels within would tear the Republic apart in their blind power struggle.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by SWM   » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:12 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

stewart wrote:I was thinking both legs separated (or near separated) from the trunk, one arm separated (or near separated at the shoulder), and of course, Burdette lost his head over the whole incident.

-- Stewart

Nope. Rob is right, there were only two resulting body parts. The first cut only opened his torso, it did not go all the way through:

Flag in Exile wrote:Her blade flashed up in a blinding, backhand arc, and the Sword of State's razor-sharp spine opened Burdette's torso from right hip to left shoulder. Clothing and flesh parted like cobwebs, and she heard the start of his explosive cry as shock and pain froze his blade. But he never completed that scream, for even as it rose in his throat and he began to fold forward over his opened belly, her wrists turned easily, and she slashed back to her left in a flashing continuation of her original movement, backed by all the whip-crack power of her body, and William Fitzclarence's head leapt from his shoulders in a geyser of blood.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by roseandheather   » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:49 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Theemile wrote:
cthia wrote:I'm not quite sure I know what girl of which Rose refers. Any help?

Eloise Pritchert - Giancola's machinations almost brought down her government, the constitution, and the republic - in short everything she attempted to do after the coup.

Even if the RH had won the war, proof of what Giancola had done threatened to bring down Pritchert's government before the traditions necessary for the transition of power in a constitutional government solified - and Pritchert knew the jackels within would tear the Republic apart in their blind power struggle.

Protip: When the "girl" in question is not otherwise named, it's a fair bet that the phrase "my girl" (also "my baby", "my darling", "my love", etc) refers to Eloise Pritchart. :D
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by cthia   » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:42 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Honor thinking that she can limit Nimitz' caloric err celeric intake.

:lol:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:32 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

In the First Battle of Yeltsin, Leon Garret - then Admiral of the GSN, thought that he could better deploy RMN ships better than the RMN.

:roll:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse