Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 57 guests

Are Tincans and CL's obsolete to "modern" fleets?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Are Tincans and CL's obsolete to "modern" fleets?
Post by SWM   » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:44 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

WLBjork wrote:
Somtaaw wrote:Especially since Bolthole only truly occured to PRH/RoH, because they were locked in a deathmatch with SKM. MAlign has their Bolthole because they had planned for these loose circumstances, and Maya because they saw the SL collapse coming and planned to become a pocket empire.

At the moment, we'll probably just get tum-tee-tum, but there was a throwaway line that suggested Parnell was involved with setting up Bolthole before the war. Don't think it ever got followed up on though. Maybe there will be something substantive in House of Lies.

I believe David said in an infodump that ONI was mistaken--Bolthole was established during Committee of Safety's reign.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by drothgery   » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:43 am

drothgery
Admiral

SWM wrote:I believe David said in an infodump that ONI was mistaken--Bolthole was established during Committee of Safety's reign.

Indeed.

http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/en ... ngton/65/1
Post by Brigade XO   » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:42 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Mostly we just have to wait until we get shown what the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds of ship out of the NEW Manticorian and Grayson yards are going to be. Will they include any of the existing generations of the ship designs that were in-hand at the time of Oyster Bay or not?

I don't think that Manticore would really want to devote all of any new capacity- as it comes on-line with the subsystem and general manufacturing capabilty to support it- to truly new designs. One or two for lead-in-class but not the bulk of the new yard slips.

For the existing designes I would includet anything of previously built designs includingthings that were to be added as modifcations/variations from lessons learned. So they could be Wolfhounds etc including Rollands.

Ships like the Rolland have been given to us as "transitional" designes. They are bridging the fleet designes to the newest implemneted weapons systems.

Manticore (and we presume Grayson) are still involved a major war. Haven is with them and it is a war against AT LEAST against the present SL and, of course, the Alignment. They need to keep building designes based on warfighting needs with the current generations of weapons systems. Would it make sense -if it could be done- to upgrade some existing designes to produce new variations with the weapons systems? Like DD' and CL's with Mk 16's and the systems that have to be there to support them? Sure. IF it can be done and if the ships so changed in design and equipment can fulfill the roles required of them.

What EXACTLY does the GA need in the way of ships - in the next 5 to 15 years?

1) defend against the SLN and various SDFs with the hope and presumption that it can both deflect any SLN moves against the GA (and friends) plus maintain controling presence in GA space.
2) Hunt down the Alignment, detect, sucessfully engage & destroy its ships.
3) Keep the future fragments of the SL and other things (they don't know about the RF as an Alignment plan but the GA could reasonably anticipate "fragments of the SL" forming as sucessor states- especialy multi-system ones- to be able to cause significant problems for neighbors and the GA once SLN is elimiated as a pacifying and intimidating force which has been mitigating against predatory systems by brute force.

Fleet screen duties/missions have shifted to CLACs with LACs for the time being. From a practical standpoint, the GA is going to need MORE ships with the ability to "cruse" and "scout". Whatever is developed to meet those needs is going to be likely smaller than what is developing as the current BC. More ships-smaller than BCs- to find out what is happening, provide commerce protection, etc. There WILL be renewed commerce in the area formerly controlled under the SL by the SLN, it depends on what Manticore, Haven, and friends how much of those roles they need to pick up to remain safe.
Post by Brigade XO   » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:52 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Mostly we just have to wait until we get shown what the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds of ship out of the NEW Manticorian and Grayson yards are going to be. Will they include any of the existing generations of the ship designs that were in-hand at the time of Oyster Bay or not?

I don't think that Manticore would really want to devote all of any new capacity- as it comes on-line with the subsystem and general manufacturing capabilty to support it- to truly new designs. One or two for lead-in-class but not the bulk of the new yard slips.

For the existing designes I would includet anything of previously built designs includingthings that were to be added as modifcations/variations from lessons learned. So they could be Wolfhounds etc including Rollands.

Ships like the Rolland have been given to us as "transitional" designes. They are bridging the fleet designes to the newest implemneted weapons systems.

Manticore (and we presume Grayson) are still involved a major war. Haven is with them and it is a war against AT LEAST against the present SL and, of course, the Alignment. They need to keep building designes based on warfighting needs with the current generations of weapons systems. Would it make sense -if it could be done- to upgrade some existing designes to produce new variations with the weapons systems? Like DD' and CL's with Mk 16's and the systems that have to be there to support them? Sure. IF it can be done and if the ships so changed in design and equipment can fulfill the roles required of them.

1) defend against the SLN and various SDFs with the hope and presumption that it can both deflect any SLN moves against the GA (and friends) plus maintain controling presence in GA space.
3) Keep the future fragments of the SL and other things (they don't know about the RF as an Alignment plan but the GA could reasonably anticipate "fragments of the SL" forming as sucessor states- especialy multi-system ones- to be able to cause significant problems for neighbors and the GA once SLN is elimiated as a pacifying and intimidating force which has been mitigating against predatory systems by brute force.

Fleet screen duties/missions have shifted to CLACs with LACs for the time being. From a practical standpoint, the GA is going to need MORE ships with the ability to "cruse" and "scout". Whatever is developed to meet those needs is going to be likely smaller than what is developing as the current BC. More ships-smaller than BCs- to find out what is happening, provide commerce protection, etc. There WILL be renewed commerce in the area formerly controlled under the SL by the SLN, it depends on what Manticore, Haven, and friends how much of those roles they need to pick up to remain safe.
Post by JeffEngel   » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:15 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:Mostly we just have to wait until we get shown what the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds of ship out of the NEW Manticorian and Grayson yards are going to be. Will they include any of the existing generations of the ship designs that were in-hand at the time of Oyster Bay or not?

I figure they will be designs based on what has worked well for those transitional designs.

DDM's with the -G terror-laserhead are definitely good, welcome, and necessary. They're the gold standard of the developing subwaller weapon system. Two drives mean you can have a ballistic component in between as needed for stupendous range. For flexibility and that simple range, the second drive is a much bigger step up from one than the third is from two. No GA hypercapable combatant is likely to be laid down anymore without being built to fire DDM's, and they will be built under the assumption that, before the class reaches the end of its service life, it will have to confront a comparable opponent.

The Roland's hammerhead-based firepower and offbore fire commitment has worked well enough defensively and offensively for a unit its size, but I do think the ammunition limits will make it something they will hesitate to keep for the cruising duty it is likely to keep drawing. That's one big reason I suspect the future DD or CL is going to look more like a Saganami-C than anything else: it's got to be large enough for healthy magazines feeding DDM launching tubes. Even if they adopt some other magazine feed scheme and fire them out the hammerheads - something I think the Roland establishes really is an option in itself now - it's likely to put a lot of tonnage on a Roland model and balloon it up anyway.

I suspect that the "Big Roland" or "Saganami-D" is going to be pretty beefy, but it's going to merit being called a light cruiser (or 'frigate', if that class name were freed from the tonnage association like the others have been) and not a CA or BC because it really will be designed for long-range cruising, anti-piracy, police duty, system scouting, etc., as the minimum size fully effective warship of its generation. Hopefully they will be able to economize on the crew/capability ratio so that the crew required isn't much larger than a Roland's. I'm optimistic about that, though I hope they can either include a small Marine complement or better prepare the ship to carry out the missions that would benefit from one.

2 there is mighty demanding, when they have no gravitic signatures to spot and will run into serious difficulty seeing those hulls otherwise. Being able to put out sheer numbers of the ships may help, but their best bet in the near-term for managing that eventually may be making sure that the ships have space for refitting them with different/better sensors when they can be designed for that job, and/or have boat bays large enough to accommodate next generation recon drones with those sensors.

But lots of recon drones would be something for the design anyway. For one, in a way, in a war, these units are there to put recon drones out there on a self-defending hyper-capable platform. For another, the stupendous range of DDM's mean that FTL recon drone observation down-range is tactically critical, so they'd better have plenty.

One thing that makes me feel all right about "light cruisers" nearly the size of current heavy cruisers, themselves nearly the size of old battlecruisers, is that there still is definitely a niche for at least two classes below-the-wall. The new CL/DD/whatever is there to be the minimal effective hypercapable warship; the BC is there to be the thing that stomps whatever below-the-wall and evades anything of it.

Whether there remains space for four such classes - DD, CL, CA, BC - I doubt. But then, the class roles tended to blend into one another anyway. If you get fewer with a starker contrast, fine.
Post by Bill Woods   » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:39 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

JeffEngel wrote: One thing that makes me feel all right about "light cruisers" nearly the size of current heavy cruisers, themselves nearly the size of old battlecruisers, is that there still is definitely a niche for at least two classes below-the-wall. The new CL/DD/whatever is there to be the minimal effective hypercapable warship; the BC is there to be the thing that stomps whatever below-the-wall and evades anything of it.

Whether there remains space for four such classes - DD, CL, CA, BC - I doubt. But then, the class roles tended to blend into one another anyway. If you get fewer with a starker contrast, fine.
Five classes — there's also FF. But having three flavors of 'cruiser' is surely too many.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by SharkHunter   » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:07 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

I think what is obsolete at this point is missile control, and RFC and everyone here knows it. It's been well argued that a multiplex channel should be able to control more than one missile, and I've started to argue that a future ACM should be able to control more than one pod's worth, and also work with more types of missiles. If multiplexing "becomes" a better option for a ship back there 30MM kilometers or more, it is equally or more true for a control missile anywhere less than a light second.

Anyway, to use an ACM at 100%, at this point it requires enough mass outside of wedge interference for a Keyhole II. There's some discussion of how to do a "Keyhole lite", but no details,as the current KHII platform is as big as "pre-war" RHN destroyers. I'm prepared to surrender on that point and still try to think creativity about other ways to use FTL comms for battlefield superiority.

One thing that has been shot down (an infodump bit I was pointed at or found later) is that the RMN considers it a bad idea to link the drone take towards missiles, as that would enable the Bad Guys to target the drones much easier. Tactically I'm prepared to argue that "THERE ARE WAYS" quite enthusiastically because of the space battle sizing, and the fact that so far no-one has managed to survive a Mark-23 based missile attack without surrendering, meaning there ought to be a tactical method that would get drone "FAC" ability accomplishable using a Foraker style solution.

We'll see next year or whenever we get the next round of stories or infodumps, etc. Maybe someone can lock David in a closet or he can be bribed at his eatery of choice, etc. at one of the HonorCons and see what he thinks...
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by JeffEngel   » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:10 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:I think what is obsolete at this point is missile control, and RFC and everyone here knows it. It's been well argued that a multiplex channel should be able to control more than one missile, and I've started to argue that a future ACM should be able to control more than one pod's worth, and also work with more types of missiles. If multiplexing "becomes" a better option for a ship back there 30MM kilometers or more, it is equally or more true for a control missile anywhere less than a light second.

Anyway, to use an ACM at 100%, at this point it requires enough mass outside of wedge interference for a Keyhole II. There's some discussion of how to do a "Keyhole lite", but no details,as the current KHII platform is as big as "pre-war" RHN destroyers. I'm prepared to surrender on that point and still try to think creativity about other ways to use FTL comms for battlefield superiority.

"Keyhole Lite" may suffer from some ambiguity, between (1) a Keyhole II platform that's smaller, or (2) a Keyhole I platform that is. Certainly I am not positive what someone means using it between those two.

I do think that DDM's have a much better claim to be the sine qua non for the smallest effective hypercapable warships; I don't think the extreme range capability of Keyhole II platforms is. It may mean a starker difference between the (enormous) BC's able to use that and the cruisers/destroyers below it that can't than traditionally existed, but it's not likely to push the smaller ships entirely below the military horizon.

I do wonder if the RMN isn't getting caught up on preserving all the Keyhole II capabilities for anything they consider for FTL missile control. Truly, while it's great to have a extra-wedge parasite that can help control CM's, help control missiles, protect itself, slice, dice, and make breakfast, if you can get one or two of the first couple without all the rest, especially for a unit not expected to survive extended combat - it's all right to be a lot smaller and a lot more likely to be expended.
Post by SharkHunter   » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:14 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Jeff, exactly where I am headed in my "THERE ARE WAYS" thoughts. Say five or six drones that each do one or at most two things well but are designed to work in sets, gotta have a lot of capability there, etc. or if there's time "steer them boomer drones" into the op force fleet right when they start to deploy pods,

...or.... (and there's about a dozen "or(s)" that I can think of.

Let's just say that Admiral Beullafille (if I spelled that right, probably not) and I would be kindred tactical spirits. Sneaky as hell and likely to invent deadly rabbits.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by stewart   » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:22 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

Weird Harold wrote:
kzt wrote:A peep BC has MUCH better missile defenses than a SNL BC.

True.

However, in the hypothetical scenario of a Modern Roland-class DD against an interwar RHN Sultan Class BC, would it be able to withstand multiple double-stack salvos of Mk16G with "near capital missile warheads?)

A late-second-war RHN BC would doubtless fare better than an interwar Sultan, but the only difference would be whether it took four double-stacks or five.

-------------------

Minor quibble --

The Sultans were the standard PRH Battlecruiser before the FIRST war. (ex Thunder of God in HotQ was a Sultan) Warlord class BC's succeeded them and became standardized by the PRH and later RHN.

A better comparison or (post treaty) exercise would be a Roland vs. a Warlord C/D variant.

-- Stewart

Return to Honorverse