Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 158 guests

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: .
Post by Theemile   » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:52 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Joat42 wrote:
SharkHunter wrote:Similar question to fanfic but different: at what level is "enough tech" considered Honorverse, and when is it not? that is, the idea of going colony to cryo to multiplier's of lightspeed isn't new, fusion engines, not, grav waves, I presume not, wormholes not, but as soon as you say "grav based impellers", and Warshawski sails" obviously you've crossed a line. Same thing for "bomb pumped laser heads" and "grav lensing" crossing lines, but...

AKA I enjoy it here, but wanna "play" resulting in a community a la the Grantville Gazette, what think y'all?

Bomb pumped lasers exists, it's the grav lensing that's a bit impractical. :D

Natural Gravity lensing proved Einstein's Theory of Relativity (during an eclipse in 1914 in an Australian Chicken Coop, if I remember correctly), and is a natural phenomon oberserved by (and taken advantage by) astronomy all the time. Supermassive objects are known to bend the light of objects behind them, allowing the far objects to show up beside the massive object - occasionally "twinning" and showing up on both sides of the massive object as the gravity bends the light.

We just havn't figured out how to produce enough gravity ourselves to do it ourselves (yet)

So I would not say that is in Weber's legal backyard either.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by SharkHunter   » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:53 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

crewdude48 wrote:
SharkHunter wrote:Similar question to fanfic but different: at what level is "enough tech" considered Honorverse, and when is it not? that is, the idea of going colony to cryo to multiplier's of lightspeed isn't new, fusion engines, not, grav waves, I presume not, wormholes not, but as soon as you say "grav based impellers", and Warshawski sails" obviously you've crossed a line. Same thing for "bomb pumped laser heads" and "grav lensing" crossing lines, but...

AKA I enjoy it here, but wanna "play" resulting in a community a la the Grantville Gazette, what think y'all?

The Grantville Gazette is why I stopped reading that universe.
Well, sorta similar. The reason I stopped reading that series is because it petered out, and the cost of subscription to "the gazette" was too dang high. If they wanted to release a DVD/ISO of all of the issues then to now for a reasonable dollar figure, I'd likely ante up, because at worst I can skip any of the bits I don't find interesting.

That said, if there were an acceptable "spin off" to the main line series, as writers would y'all want to play?
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by cthia   » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:51 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

crewdude48 wrote:

The Grantville Gazette is why I stopped reading that universe.

SharkHunter wrote:
Well, sorta similar. The reason I stopped reading that series is because it petered out, and the cost of subscription to "the gazette" was too dang high. If they wanted to release a DVD/ISO of all of the issues then to now for a reasonable dollar figure, I'd likely ante up, because at worst I can skip any of the bits I don't find interesting.

That said, if there were an acceptable "spin off" to the main line series, as writers would y'all want to play?

Oh yes. And how!

I'd love to espouse and elaborate on this.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6347&start=190

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse