Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ThinksMarkedly and 154 guests

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Weber's stance on fanfics?
Post by Duckk   » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:56 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

You can just send it over a PM.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by CLA   » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 pm

CLA
Ensign

Last edited by CLA on Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's sad when the only words out of people's mouths our "I/we can't" or "it won't work" instead of trying to find ways to do things.
But then, what do I know - I'm nobody. :(
Post by saber964   » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:28 pm

saber964
Admiral

CLA wrote:It's always amazed me how an author writing popular novels, even though they do not have nearly enough time to get as much done as they claim they want to, overlook the potential benefit that writers of fan fiction can be to them.

Think about it for a moment: here are people so inspired by their favorite author's works that they have started writing their own stories based on those works. What better source could their be for aid and ideas than fan fiction writers?

Not enough time to cover all that's on your plate? Recruit one (or several) fan writers to at least come up with a rough draft or even as a means to come up with plans for how a book currently in limbo should go.

While I can't speak for all of them, at least some that I know of would be absolutely thrilled to help their favorite author, without even asking for anything in return. Still others would do it for nothing more than being mentioned (and for those of them of high enough caliber, might help them get noticed by publishers).

Would Honor Harrington ignore the ideas of others just because she didn't think of it? Would she refuse help when she needs it just because it was offered when she had yet to ask?

Just imagine the possibilities!

Besides, I don't think you would want to share the same reputation as Darrell Benvenuto and Randy Green. ;)

To quote an old friend:

One man might not make a difference anymore, but a whole group can kick some serious ***

The problem is things like royalties and other thing like movie. Look at J K Rowling's she has had 8 movies and a theme park. Imagine if some fan-fic author had managed to convince a judge that he/she had come up with the original idea. Rowling has been going round and round with authors in China writing totally fake Harry Potter books for over a decade.
Post by CLA   » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:38 pm

CLA
Ensign

Last edited by CLA on Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's sad when the only words out of people's mouths our "I/we can't" or "it won't work" instead of trying to find ways to do things.
But then, what do I know - I'm nobody. :(
Post by SWM   » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:44 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

CLA wrote:It's always amazed me how an author writing popular novels, even though they do not have nearly enough time to get as much done as they claim they want to, overlook the potential benefit that writers of fan fiction can be to them.

Think about it for a moment: here are people so inspired by their favorite author's works that they have started writing their own stories based on those works. What better source could their be for aid and ideas than fan fiction writers?

While in some few cases, fanfic can be an inspiration to an author, in more cases such inspiration leads to legal conflicts. In other cases, fanfic actually limits an author's options, because the author cannot use ideas he already had because some fan wrote it first. A number of authors have had bad experiences with fanfic--more than have had good experiences with fanfic.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by SWM   » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:45 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

CLA wrote:Instead of focusing on can't/won't, think of ways it CAN.

It is far safer to focus on not letting it become an issue in the first place. Which is what David's policy is intended to do.
Post by SWM   » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:00 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

CLA wrote:Not enough time to cover all that's on your plate? Recruit one (or several) fan writers to at least come up with a rough draft or even as a means to come up with plans for how a book currently in limbo should go.

While I can't speak for all of them, at least some that I know of would be absolutely thrilled to help their favorite author, without even asking for anything in return. Still others would do it for nothing more than being mentioned (and for those of them of high enough caliber, might help them get noticed by publishers).

When David wants help, he asks for it. He asks specific authors to contribute to his universe, for his anthologies and spinoff series, under his editorial control. He asks for help from a few select friends and fans, such as BuNine, again under his editorial control. They get full credit for the material they produce. But it is David's choice who helps him, and how. He does not want unsolicited contributions interfering with his inspiration, so he takes steps to avoid the possibility of seeing them.

If he wants you to help him, he will ask you.
Post by Belial666   » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:01 pm

Belial666
Commodore

Of course, there's also another reason not to fanfic.

Imagine if someone like Lord Skimper or myself wrote fanfiction where our wildest technical ideas happened to be possible. :lol:
Re: Silly message editing
Post by Joat42   » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:01 pm

Joat42
Admiral

CLA wrote:It's sad when the only words out of people's mouths our "I/we can't" or "it won't work" instead of trying to find ways to do things.
But then, what do I know - I'm nobody.

Since writing fanfic can mess things up for RFC regarding ideas/copyright etc. as explained and RFC has said that he don't want to see it.

Getting in a tizzy because of this is just silly, especially since you felt it necessary to remove all your posts because we shot your ideas down all due to the fact that we respect RFC's wishes. :roll:

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Michael Everett   » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:12 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

Belial666 wrote:Of course, there's also another reason not to fanfic.

Imagine if someone like Lord Skimper or myself wrote fanfiction where our wildest technical ideas happened to be possible. :lol:

Considering some of the fanfic I've come across, I can confidently say that as long as your grammar/spelling abilities remain at (or above) the level of your posts, you wouldn't be anywhere near the lower 50%.

Some fanfics are so bad that they seem to radiate a deluded grandeur that shows that the writer actually believes that they are so skilled that all the negative reviews are proof that the rest of the world is too retarded to understand their genius.

I hope to hell that the above statement isn't true of me...
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995

Return to Honorverse