Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], ThinksMarkedly and 160 guests

Non Asian Andermani

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Non Asian Andermani
Post by kzt   » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:04 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

DDHvi wrote:This is a good key point. Even with relatively inexpensive interstellar travel, it is not likely the costs/person would be anywhere as low as sea or air travel is today. Recall how small the crew is on those giant freighters.

It appear to me that David visualizes the cost of travel akin or less than what you had with ocean liners in the first half of the 20th century. Not modern air travel, though travel in-system is on that kind of scale.

So you can travel cheaply with minimal amenities, or in style for a pile of cash, and some range between them.
Re: Non Asian Andermani
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:16 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
DDHvi wrote:This is a good key point. Even with relatively inexpensive interstellar travel, it is not likely the costs/person would be anywhere as low as sea or air travel is today. Recall how small the crew is on those giant freighters.

It appear to me that David visualizes the cost of travel akin or less than what you had with ocean liners in the first half of the 20th century. Not modern air travel, though travel in-system is on that kind of scale.

So you can travel cheaply with minimal amenities, or in style for a pile of cash, and some range between them.
Although it occurs to me that many of these trips are going to be far longer duration than those great ocean liners -- more like the late sailing ships, or early steamers, doing the Australia run; 60+ days each way. Not sure what affect that's going to have on costs.

On the one hand fuel is dirt cheap, and the ships aren't short on volume. On the other hand supplies for months do take up some space and they're going to want to charge for that.

Return to Honorverse