Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ThinksMarkedly, tlb and 161 guests

Non Asian Andermani

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Non Asian Andermani
Post by Hasek   » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:27 pm

Hasek
Ensign

Given the ~300 years the AE has been around there's got to be some non Sino-German people loyal to the Empire.
Re: Non Asian Andermani
Post by Duckk   » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:31 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

There are plenty of non-Chinese descent citizens. For one, Gustav Anderman's original mercenary crew. For another, the Andermani Empire is based on annexation of their neighbors, so a lot of their neighbors would have a different ethnic mix. If anything, the bulk of the Andermani Empire is something other than Chinese.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by kzt   » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:53 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

David said at Honorcon that the language of the AE is German. The starting planet for the AI (which I can't remember right now) was largely Chinese, but he said that even there the public language was German. People might speak Mandarin (or something - unclear which dialect) at home, but everyone speaks German.
Post by SharkHunter   » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:58 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

kzt wrote:David said at Honorcon that the language of the AE is German. The starting planet for the AI (which I can't remember right now) was largely Chinese, but he said that even there the public language was German. People might speak Mandarin (or something - unclear which dialect) at home, but everyone speaks German.
The Andermani are "mutts" in terms of their overall population makeup vs. the Graysons who are definitely Norte Americano (Idaho) and the Manticorans, who are definitely Norte Americano mix-mash, but the Andermani also have a huge Chinese influence based on one planet. Here's the textev:
Honor Among Enemies wrote:The Empire was not, Honor thought wryly, your run of the mill monarchy, but despite the occasional quirks in its gallop, the House of Anderman had, by and large, done well by its people. For one thing, its members were wise enough to grant an enormous degree of local autonomy to their various conquests, and they'd shown a positive knack for picking up systems which were already in trouble for one reason or another. Like the Gregor Republic in Gregor-B. The entire system had fallen apart in a particularly messy civil war before the IAN moved in and declared peace, and like so much else about the Empire, that tendency to "rescue" their conquests went back to Gustav I and Potsdam itself.

Before Gustav Anderman and his fleet moved in on it, Potsdam had been named Kuan Yin, after the Chinese goddess of mercy. Which had been one of the more ironic names anyone ever assigned a planet, for the ethnic Chinese who'd settled it had found themselves in a trap as deadly as the one which had almost killed the Graysons' ancestors.
That made him quite acceptable to the natives of Kuan Yin as their new Emperor. His foibles didn't bother them—they would have been prepared to forgive outright lunacy—and they became very loyal subjects. He'd started out by raising and exporting the one product he fully understood—competent, skillfully led mercenaries—and then gone into the conquistador business on his own. By the time of his death, New Berlin had been the capital of a six-system empire, and the Empire had done nothing but grow, sometimes unspectacularly but always steadily, ever since.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:33 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Duckk wrote:There are plenty of non-Chinese descent citizens. For one, Gustav Anderman's original mercenary crew. For another, the Andermani Empire is based on annexation of their neighbors, so a lot of their neighbors would have a different ethnic mix. If anything, the bulk of the Andermani Empire is something other than Chinese.

I think that the false impression of all Andermani as ethnic Chinese is that we've only directly seen Andermani nobility/elite, mostly drawn from Kuan Yin/Potsdam where Gustav I and his original mercenary band have intermarried with the ethnic Chinese population extensively.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Hasek   » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:20 pm

Hasek
Ensign

Weird Harold wrote:
Duckk wrote:There are plenty of non-Chinese descent citizens. For one, Gustav Anderman's original mercenary crew. For another, the Andermani Empire is based on annexation of their neighbors, so a lot of their neighbors would have a different ethnic mix. If anything, the bulk of the Andermani Empire is something other than Chinese.

I think that the false impression of all Andermani as ethnic Chinese is that we've only directly seen Andermani nobility/elite, mostly drawn from Kuan Yin/Potsdam where Gustav I and his original mercenary band have intermarried with the ethnic Chinese population extensively.

After 300 years id expect at least some non Asian Andermani to move into that elite category, and given the Andermani's level of internal autonomy id think most of the worlds would have kept a large part of their own culture. Maybe well see some in later books...
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:25 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Hasek wrote:After 300 years id expect at least some non Asian Andermani to move into that elite category, and given the Andermani's level of internal autonomy id think most of the worlds would have kept a large part of their own culture. Maybe well see some in later books...

I'm sure they have, but we haven't been introduced to any; we've seen the Royal Family and the Death's Head Guards--an elite unit picked as much for uniform appearance as uniform ability.

Ethnicity hasn't been described for any other Andermani, so the only description we have is "Chinese who Speak German."

Post by saber964   » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:38 pm

saber964
Admiral

Look at the multi-ethnicities in Manticore or Beowulf.
I have seen name with IIRC:

German/Japanese
Slavic/Anglo
Spanish/Chinese
Japanese/Anglo
Italian/Slavic
Slavic/Nordic
Nordic/Spanish
Slavic/Japanese
Polish/Korean
German/French
German/Slavic
Anglo/Spanish
Arab/German

Also look at the fusion cooking in that restaurant in 'Lets Dance' which IIRC was French Italian and Chinese. I also had an Aunt who, because of an allergy to shellfish cooked Italian Cajun style.
Post by JeffEngel   » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:50 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:

Is this an issue because there's an expectation of more diversity in people's ethnic backgrounds (to the extent that 20+ centuries in space haven't put those through a massive shuffle), or because there's an expectation of more diverse names?

If it's sheer ethnicity, then yeah, we're just seeing New Potsdam natives, or at least people whose ancestry probably tends largely to go back to that mix. (And, if you're going to assume our familiar ethnic groups are kinda intact in 1920 P.D., about 1 in 5 people are ethnic Chinese now, so even the ancestry from elsewhere may get you that often anyway.)

If it's a matter of names, then fitting in in an Andermani social milieu will put some pressure on people to adopt familiar names, or at least give them to children. There's nothing sinister in that - well, not necessarily anyway. Nothing exceptional, anyway, if you checked out the first names of any number of us in the U.S., for instance, two or three generations after families arrive here.
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:50 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

JeffEngel wrote:Is this an issue because there's an expectation of more diversity in people's ethnic backgrounds (to the extent that 20+ centuries in space haven't put those through a massive shuffle), or because there's an expectation of more diverse names?

If it's sheer ethnicity, then yeah, we're just seeing New Potsdam natives, or at least people whose ancestry probably tends largely to go back to that mix. (And, if you're going to assume our familiar ethnic groups are kinda intact in 1920 P.D., about 1 in 5 people are ethnic Chinese now, so even the ancestry from elsewhere may get you that often anyway.)

I think RFC has made it fairly clear that "Ethic Purity" or "Religious Fundamentalism" accounted for a large percentage of colonies. The Mfecane worlds were colonized by racist nutjobs from Africa; Kuan Yin/New Potsdam was colonized by ethnic Chinese; There is a "Jewish League" somewhere in the Honorverse; Grayson was colonized by religious fundamentalists; Masada was colonized by religious fundamentalists too fundamental for Grayson; etc, etc.

That has led to pockets of ethnic purity and/or a unique genotype plus a unique cultural history for every extra-solar planet.

Even those planets colonized by "creative anachronists" like Montana or New Tuscany tended to start from a generally unmixed population; any anomalies got lost in the general mix over the centuries.

I suspect the percentage of any population that travels between the stars and/or interacts with star-travelers is fairly small. That would tend to keep inter-breeding to the level of background noise.

Return to Honorverse