Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 126 guests

Beyond "A RISING THUNDER" (v.13 in Honorverse series)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Beyond "A RISING THUNDER" (v.13 in Honorverse series)
Post by SWM   » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:44 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

OrlandoNative wrote:Maybe. But he's posting "snippets" here which will eventually encompass most, if not all, of the manuscript; and on another site he's posting entire chapters (I think now up through chapter 6; if I remember correctly).

Correction--David does not snippet as much of the book as you think. Generally he only snippets 25%-30% of the book, in total. The most he has done was around 40%, if I recall correctly, and that was because the book was unexpectedly delayed and he wanted to make up for it.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Chev   » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:43 pm

Chev
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I understand RFC got burned out/had other commitments/things come up in life. I really do hope he gets back to writing a lot of Honerverse stories along the main timeline. Not just one book and then take 2 or 3 years off again. I know he doesn't owe us a thing, it is just what I hope will happen. It is an addiction for me and I want my junkie to give more stuff! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Chev on Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:51 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:
OrlandoNative wrote:Maybe. But he's posting "snippets" here which will eventually encompass most, if not all, of the manuscript; and on another site he's posting entire chapters (I think now up through chapter 6; if I remember correctly).

Correction--David does not snippet as much of the book as you think. Generally he only snippets 25%-30% of the book, in total. The most he has done was around 40%, if I recall correctly, and that was because the book was unexpectedly delayed and he wanted to make up for it.

25-30% unless you count the one Oops (was that Storm from the Shadows?) where the snippet was accidentally the entire novel.
Post by SWM   » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:16 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
SWM wrote:Correction--David does not snippet as much of the book as you think. Generally he only snippets 25%-30% of the book, in total. The most he has done was around 40%, if I recall correctly, and that was because the book was unexpectedly delayed and he wanted to make up for it.

25-30% unless you count the one Oops (was that Storm from the Shadows?) where the snippet was accidentally the entire novel.

Oh, yes, there was that oops. Can't count that, but it shouldn't be forgotten. :)
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by stewart   » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:30 am

stewart
Captain of the List

SWM wrote:"MaxxQ"]"SWM"]
[librarian hat]

Why do so many people have that reaction to YA books? Almost all YA books are quite good reading for adults, too. YA does not mean kid stuff.
[/librarian hat]

I always thought "YA" was short for "You All", meaning everyone :lol: ;)

Seriously, what is the problem with adults reading YA books? I couldn't care less who the book is written for, as long as it's well-written and entertaining. I still read The Phantom Tollbooth every couple years, and I'm 50 years old. I have no problems with reading it in public, either, nor any other so-called Young-Adult book.[/quote]
Well, I would class Phantom Tollbooth as Childrens, but some do class it as YA. :) Quite a few Childrens books are quite good reads even as adults.

For recent YA, I would point to Divergent, Hunger Games, The Giver, Maze Runner, all of which were made into recent movies (of varying quality) watched by many adults, all of which deal with issues which aren't kid stuff. For more classical YA books, I would point to Huckleberry Finn, Catcher in the Rye, Diary of a Young Girl, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Outsiders. I dare anyone to say that these are inappropriate for adults. :)[/quote]

-------------

I would add from the Master JRR Tolkien -- The Hobbit -- written initially both as a prelude to LOTR but also as a "children's book" which has university literature classes analyzing it ...

-- Stewart
Post by stewart   » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:38 am

stewart
Captain of the List

fallsfromtrees wrote:"kzt"]
Next book is in 2016. Maybe.

Cauldron of Ghosts came out after it, but it doesn't advance the timeline. House of Steel also is after it, but it doesn't advance the time line either.
Vince wrote:Shadow of Freedom came out after A Rising Thunder and extends the timeline a short time past it, but concentrates on events in the Talbott Quadrant.
Bill Woods wrote:We've got incremental progress:
A Rising Thunder: March – July '22
Shadow of Freedom: Feb – August '22
Cauldron of Ghosts: May – October '22

Actually Shadow of Freedom came out before Cauldron. And the last date given in it is August 1922, but that was before Henke had moved into Meyers, and spent a bunch of time there - we don't know how long, but from the sounds of it, several months. The last date in CoG is October 1922, and it is fairly close to the end - about a month to 6 weeks (It is dated just before Houdini goes into full swing, and there were several weeks for the Peacies to pretty much reduce New Rostock. The supposition is that the fleet that arrives ~November 1922 was Henke's, but there is no guarantee of that.[/quote]

--------

Essentially, what David is doing is bringing all 3(+) lines / fronts to a near-common time frame.

I suspect we "may" see some short stories or anthologies to bring other favorite characters up to current status -- ex Susan Hibson at last report was sched for command and deployment with an independent brigade heading to Talbott.

-- Stewart
Post by Bill Woods   » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:40 am

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

stewart wrote:I would add from the Master JRR Tolkien -- The Hobbit -- written initially both as a prelude to LOTR ...

I don't think that's correct. When Tolkien wrote The Hobbit, it wasn't set in his Middle Earth — c.f. the trolls. And he didn't conceive of LOTR until he started to write 'Hobbit: The Next Generation', and the "tale grew in the telling".
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:12 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

Chev wrote:I understand RFC got burned out/had other commitments/things come up in life. I really do hope he gets back to writing a lot of Honerverse stories along the main timeline. Not just one book and then take 2 or 3 years off again. I know he doesn't owe us a thing, it is just what I hope will happen. It is an addiction for me and I want my junkie to give more stuff! :mrgreen:

Chev,

Hello.
Someone with a long memory from the old days when Baen's Bar was using that yellow background (98 or 99?) may recall a post by the author in which he said he writes other stuff in order to relax and refresh his mind. This is why he wrote the Bahzell books (fantasy, not sci-fi), and why he writes more than one series at a time. So he doesn't burn out and go stale on the same genre, same places, same characters.

There is also an interview somewhere in which the author explained that he actually offered several series ideas to Jim Baen --including the Honorverse, the Hradani-Bhazell books, the Prince Roger books, the Safehold books. . . . . All at the same meeting.

I'll take what I can get. I did notice a big drop in speed after he broke his wrist, but he seems to have the speech software working well enough now. Besides, that was about the time his wife had a baby, and the Cambodian government finally released the twins he adopted, and . . . .and . . . life.

One thing that is different about this part of the story-- in the beginning there was a passage of time--months or years--between story segments. Now, he seems to be trying to get in every detail of what is happening everywhere, and the books overlap a lot.

I just don't see a happy ending to all the loose threads in just the limited books he says are left to write in this story arc; two books? I think the SL will be broken up, but the Malign will fade into the background, to reappear for Honor's kids or grandkids.

Sort of what he intended to do, before Eric wrote "From the Highlands". :D

David can supplement his retirement income by trotting out a slow series of "updates," maybe one book every other year.

YMMV,

regards, Rob
Post by n7axw   » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:28 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Armed Neo-Bob wrote:
Chev wrote:I understand RFC got burned out/had other commitments/things come up in life. I really do hope he gets back to writing a lot of Honerverse stories along the main timeline. Not just one book and then take 2 or 3 years off again. I know he doesn't owe us a thing, it is just what I hope will happen. It is an addiction for me and I want my junkie to give more stuff! :mrgreen:

Chev,

Hello.
Someone with a long memory from the old days when Baen's Bar was using that yellow background (98 or 99?) may recall a post by the author in which he said he writes other stuff in order to relax and refresh his mind. This is why he wrote the Bahzell books (fantasy, not sci-fi), and why he writes more than one series at a time. So he doesn't burn out and go stale on the same genre, same places, same characters.

There is also an interview somewhere in which the author explained that he actually offered several series ideas to Jim Baen --including the Honorverse, the Hradani-Bhazell books, the Prince Roger books, the Safehold books. . . . . All at the same meeting.

I'll take what I can get. I did notice a big drop in speed after he broke his wrist, but he seems to have the speech software working well enough now. Besides, that was about the time his wife had a baby, and the Cambodian government finally released the twins he adopted, and . . . .and . . . life.

One thing that is different about this part of the story-- in the beginning there was a passage of time--months or years--between story segments. Now, he seems to be trying to get in every detail of what is happening everywhere, and the books overlap a lot.

I just don't see a happy ending to all the loose threads in just the limited books he says are left to write in this story arc; two books? I think the SL will be broken up, but the Malign will fade into the background, to reappear for Honor's kids or grandkids.

Sort of what he intended to do, before Eric wrote "From the Highlands". :D

David can supplement his retirement income by trotting out a slow series of "updates," maybe one book every other year.

YMMV,

regards, Rob

I could be mistaken on this, but I doubt that David's retirement income is going to need supplementing...

If he continues to write, it will be out of passion for the stories he is telling.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by kzt   » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:19 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:I could be mistaken on this, but I doubt that David's retirement income is going to need supplementing...

His wife has had major medical issues that as far as I know are not covered by insurance. Hopefully this is a one-time thing, not chronic, but I have no idea if it is or not. He also has three kids between 13 and 10. So while it would be great if he was that financially solid, I have my doubts it is true today. It's also why I don't resent (too much) the time he spends on other things than writing new Honorverse stuff. Movies that are successful pay really, really good.

Return to Honorverse