Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 52 guests

Beyond "A RISING THUNDER" (v.13 in Honorverse series)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Beyond "A RISING THUNDER" (v.13 in Honorverse series)
Post by saber964   » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:28 pm

saber964
Admiral

SWM wrote:
ShyWriter wrote:Many thanks to all that replied.. I have read the shorter story in HOUSE OF STEEL as well as the rest of that content but I passed on the newer volume recently that concern Catchit and Whats-his-face CAULDRON OF GHOSTS...

I had read the others before it; i.e.,
Crown of Slaves
The Shadow of Saganami
Storm from the Shadows
Torch of Freedom
Shadow of Freedom

But truthfully those aren't as enjoyable as HONOR'S v.1-v.13 I *did* accidentally start reading the Treecat v.1-v.3 before I realized those were meant for the YA segment :oops: So I guess I shall await v.14 in 2016.

Thanks again friends,
I was extremely please at all the excellent information in the number of replies.

Cheers,
Shy

[librarian hat]
Why do so many people have that reaction to YA books? Almost all YA books are quite good reading for adults, too. YA does not mean kid stuff.
[/librarian hat]

True enough in England they put out adult covers for the Harry Potter series so said adults wouldn't be embarrassed reading them in public. Plus what they sometimes label as YA are actually adult and vice versa IMHO.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:31 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:
kzt wrote:Next book is in 2016. Maybe.

Cauldron of Ghosts came out after it, but it doesn't advance the timeline. House of Steel also is after it, but it doesn't advance the time line either.
Vince wrote:Shadow of Freedom came out after A Rising Thunder and extends the timeline a short time past it, but concentrates on events in the Talbott Quadrant.
Bill Woods wrote:We've got incremental progress:
A Rising Thunder: March – July '22
Shadow of Freedom: Feb – August '22
Cauldron of Ghosts: May – October '22

Actually Shadow of Freedom came out before Cauldron.
Um, yes? That's why I listed Shadow ahead of Cauldron. It starts earlier than Thunder because it gives backstory on various insurgencies.
fallsfromtrees wrote: And the last date given in it is August 1922, but that was before Henke had moved into Meyers, and spent a bunch of time there - we don't know how long, but from the sounds of it, several months. The last date in CoG is October 1922, and it is fairly close to the end - about a month to 6 weeks (It is dated just before Houdini goes into full swing, and there were several weeks for the Peacies to pretty much reduce New Rostock. The supposition is that the fleet that arrives ~November 1922 was Henke's, but there is no guarantee of that.
Bill Woods wrote: Answered on viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6704&p=181428#p181428
Short version: Henke spent about three weeks at Meyers, leaving around the end of August.
There is a least one assumption there that is not strictly speaking justifiable. Between the aftermath of the questioning of Hongbo, and Henke's musing about what she is going to do, there is a line of asterisks, indicating a time lapse. While she does reflect about the results of the last few days, none of those reflections refer back the Hongbo questioning, so there is no way to say that that occurred immediately after the previous discussion. Given that indeterminate time frame, so can't say definitively that it was only three weeks.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by MaxxQ   » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:01 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

SWM wrote:[librarian hat]
Why do so many people have that reaction to YA books? Almost all YA books are quite good reading for adults, too. YA does not mean kid stuff.
[/librarian hat]

I always thought "YA" was short for "You All", meaning everyone :lol: ;)

Seriously, what is the problem with adults reading YA books? I couldn't care less who the book is written for, as long as it's well-written and entertaining. I still read The Phantom Tollbooth every couple years, and I'm 50 years old. I have no problems with reading it in public, either, nor any other so-called Young-Adult book.
Post by SWM   » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:44 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

MaxxQ wrote:
[/librarian hat]

Seriously, what is the problem with adults reading YA books? I couldn't care less who the book is written for, as long as it's well-written and entertaining. I still read The Phantom Tollbooth every couple years, and I'm 50 years old. I have no problems with reading it in public, either, nor any other so-called Young-Adult book.

Well, I would class Phantom Tollbooth as Childrens, but some do class it as YA. :) Quite a few Childrens books are quite good reads even as adults.

For recent YA, I would point to Divergent, Hunger Games, The Giver, Maze Runner, all of which were made into recent movies (of varying quality) watched by many adults, all of which deal with issues which aren't kid stuff. For more classical YA books, I would point to Huckleberry Finn, Catcher in the Rye, Diary of a Young Girl, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Outsiders. I dare anyone to say that these are inappropriate for adults. :)
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:44 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

[/librarian hat]
MaxxQ wrote:

SWM wrote:Well, I would class Phantom Tollbooth as Childrens, but some do class it as YA. :) Quite a few Childrens books are quite good reads even as adults.

For recent YA, I would point to Divergent, Hunger Games, The Giver, Maze Runner, all of which were made into recent movies (of varying quality) watched by many adults, all of which deal with issues which aren't kid stuff. For more classical YA books, I would point to Huckleberry Finn, Catcher in the Rye, Diary of a Young Girl, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Outsiders. I dare anyone to say that these are inappropriate for adults. :)

And all of the Heinlein juveniles which are good reads for someone of any age.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by dreamrider   » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:15 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Shy,
If you are so Honor focus'd for your enjoyment of the Honorverse, I fear you may be sadly disappointed at the lack of direct role for Honor in the remaining books of the series.

By the very nature of her seniority and position(s) (both formal and informal), she is going to be primarily a strategist, directing others to "go forth and do". Think of all the exciting action scenes featuring Thomas Caparelli over the years.

Of course, some idiot might try to assassinate her again, or Elizabeth. That should be good for a scene or two of "laughs".

The Band of Brothers held the world's oceans as Nelson's legacy. It is now the time for the Hands of Honor to carry the actions in and around the Haven Sector.

dreamrider
Post by JeffEngel   » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:08 am

JeffEngel
Admiral

dreamrider wrote:Shy,
If you are so Honor focus'd for your enjoyment of the Honorverse, I fear you may be sadly disappointed at the lack of direct role for Honor in the remaining books of the series.

By the very nature of her seniority and position(s) (both formal and informal), she is going to be primarily a strategist, directing others to "go forth and do". Think of all the exciting action scenes featuring Thomas Caparelli over the years.

We really, really need the Untold Stories of Thomas Caparelli, Vampire Hunter - by day, First Lord of the Admiralty; by night, merciless hunter of the undead scourge in the streets and towers of Landing!
Post by drothgery   » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:49 pm

drothgery
Admiral

JeffEngel wrote:
dreamrider wrote:Shy,

We really, really need the Untold Stories of Thomas Caparelli, Vampire Hunter - by day, First Lord of the Admiralty; by night, merciless hunter of the undead scourge in the streets and towers of Landing!

First Space Lord. Hamish is First Lord of the Admiralty.

/adds plot-line to Buffy/Honorverse crossover fanfic ...
Post by Top   » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:36 pm

Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

2016 eh?

Well, the books have certainly been worth waiting for, but I am hoping for January 2016! ;)
Post by Belial666   » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:08 pm

Belial666
Commodore

2016, maybe.

Whoever worships Yog Sothoth around here better line up the right sacrifices for a Teleport Through Time spell and get us a future copy ASAP. :evil:

Return to Honorverse