Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 123 guests

Beyond "A RISING THUNDER" (v.13 in Honorverse series)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Beyond "A RISING THUNDER" (v.13 in Honorverse series)
Post by ShyWriter   » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:40 pm

ShyWriter
Midshipman

My apologies if this has been asked, and previously answered:

A RISING THUNDER was published in March, 2012 and quite a bit of the storyline was left hanging. Is there a continuation of that storyline?? From what I can tell of the Honorverse bibliography there has not been a v.14 written/published.. If there exists a book that continues from v.13, I'd appreciate a lead in that direction.

Thanks in advance,
Shy
Re: Beyond "A RISING THUNDER" (v.13 in Honorverse series)
Post by kzt   » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:53 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

ShyWriter wrote:My apologies if this has been asked, and previously answered:

A RISING THUNDER was published in March, 2012 and quite a bit of the storyline was left hanging. Is there a continuation of that storyline?? From what I can tell of the Honorverse bibliography there has not been a v.14 written/published.. If there exists a book that continues from v.13, I'd appreciate a lead in that direction.

Thanks in advance,
Shy

Next book is in 2016. Maybe.

Cauldron of Ghosts came out after it, but it doesn't advance the timeline. House of Steel also is after it, but it doesn't advance the time line either.
Post by Vince   » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:33 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

kzt wrote:

Thanks in advance,
Shy

Next book is in 2016. Maybe.

Cauldron of Ghosts came out after it, but it doesn't advance the timeline. House of Steel also is after it, but it doesn't advance the time line either.

Shadow of Freedom came out after A Rising Thunder and extends the timeline a short time past it, but concentrates on events in the Talbott Quadrant.

Also Call of Duty, but that one is about the very early Star Kingdom.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:51 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Thanks in advance,
Shy

Welcome to the forums. The first virtual drink of your choice is on the house. And welcome to the ranks of those anxiously awaiting the next David Weber book. Feel free to ask about or comment on any of the previous books in the Honorverse, and by all means feel free to speculate on the future course of the series.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by dreamrider   » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:45 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Vince wrote:My apologies if this has been asked, and previously answered:

Thanks in advance,
Shy

Note that Shadow of Freedom & Caldron of Ghosts do not advance the timeline very much, but each advances the STORY ARC / SERIES PLOT in significant ways. They should be read in the named order, BTW.

In case you do not know:
It is incorrect (any longer) to view either the Talbott Quadrant oriented books or the Kingdom of Torch/espionage oriented books as separate sub-series. David does not view them or treat them as such. In retrospect, he started significantly weaving them into the main story arc as of about the second book in each of those sub-series. In the third and most recent book of each, they were parallel threads of the grand yarn (hence the near simultaneous, closely staggered timing of these books.) There probably will not be an identifiable fourth book of either sub-series. David envisions 2-3 more books to wrap up the Honor & company story arc (he says 2, some fans say 2 also...if they are 650 pages apiece. :twisted: )
To follow the Honorverse as it was envisioned, it is appropriate, and probably best from an overall astro-political understanding standpoint, to read the "Honor" books, the "Shadows" books, and the "Crown of Slaves" books as one big series of 19 books, in the order of publication.
The anthologies can mostly be fit in wherever you like. "Best practice" would probably be to read Worlds of Honor by the time you finish Short Victorious War, for the sake of the essay "The Universe of Honor Harrington". Then Changer of Worlds ideally should be read before you get around to Crown of Slaves, for the sake of the Eric Flint story "From the Highlands" which introduces Victor Cachat and re-introduces Anton and Helen Zilwiki.

enjoy,
dreamrider
Post by Bill Woods   » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:24 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

Vince wrote:
kzt wrote:Next book is in 2016. Maybe.

Shadow of Freedom came out after A Rising Thunder and extends the timeline a short time past it, but concentrates on events in the Talbott Quadrant.
We've got incremental progress:
A Rising Thunder: March – July '22
Shadow of Freedom: Feb – August '22
Cauldron of Ghosts: May – October '22
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:49 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Vince wrote:Shadow of Freedom came out after A Rising Thunder and extends the timeline a short time past it, but concentrates on events in the Talbott Quadrant.
Bill Woods wrote:We've got incremental progress:

Actually Shadow of Freedom came out before Cauldron. And the last date given in it is August 1922, but that was before Henke had moved into Meyers, and spent a bunch of time there - we don't know how long, but from the sounds of it, several months. The last date in CoG is October 1922, and it is fairly close to the end - about a month to 6 weeks (It is dated just before Houdini goes into full swing, and there were several weeks for the Peacies to pretty much reduce New Rostock. The supposition is that the fleet that arrives ~November 1922 was Henke's, but there is no guarantee of that.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Bill Woods   » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:29 am

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

fallsfromtrees wrote:

Vince wrote:Shadow of Freedom came out after A Rising Thunder and extends the timeline a short time past it, but concentrates on events in the Talbott Quadrant.
Bill Woods wrote:We've got incremental progress:

Actually Shadow of Freedom came out before Cauldron.
Um, yes? That's why I listed Shadow ahead of Cauldron. It starts earlier than Thunder because it gives backstory on various insurgencies.
fallsfromtrees wrote: And the last date given in it is August 1922, but that was before Henke had moved into Meyers, and spent a bunch of time there - we don't know how long, but from the sounds of it, several months. The last date in CoG is October 1922, and it is fairly close to the end - about a month to 6 weeks (It is dated just before Houdini goes into full swing, and there were several weeks for the Peacies to pretty much reduce New Rostock. The supposition is that the fleet that arrives ~November 1922 was Henke's, but there is no guarantee of that.
Answered on viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6704&p=181428#p181428
Short version: Henke spent about three weeks at Meyers, leaving around the end of August.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by ShyWriter   » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:31 pm

ShyWriter
Midshipman

Many thanks to all that replied.. I have read the shorter story in HOUSE OF STEEL as well as the rest of that content but I passed on the newer volume recently that concern Catchit and Whats-his-face CAULDRON OF GHOSTS...

I had read the others before it; i.e.,
Crown of Slaves
The Shadow of Saganami
Storm from the Shadows
Torch of Freedom
Shadow of Freedom

But truthfully those aren't as enjoyable as HONOR'S v.1-v.13 I *did* accidentally start reading the Treecat v.1-v.3 before I realized those were meant for the YA segment :oops: So I guess I shall await v.14 in 2016.

Thanks again friends,
I was extremely please at all the excellent information in the number of replies.

Cheers,
Shy
Post by SWM   » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:53 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

ShyWriter wrote:Many thanks to all that replied.. I have read the shorter story in HOUSE OF STEEL as well as the rest of that content but I passed on the newer volume recently that concern Catchit and Whats-his-face CAULDRON OF GHOSTS...

I had read the others before it; i.e.,
Crown of Slaves
The Shadow of Saganami
Storm from the Shadows
Torch of Freedom
Shadow of Freedom

But truthfully those aren't as enjoyable as HONOR'S v.1-v.13 I *did* accidentally start reading the Treecat v.1-v.3 before I realized those were meant for the YA segment :oops: So I guess I shall await v.14 in 2016.

Thanks again friends,
I was extremely please at all the excellent information in the number of replies.

Cheers,
Shy

[librarian hat]
Why do so many people have that reaction to YA books? Almost all YA books are quite good reading for adults, too. YA does not mean kid stuff.
[/librarian hat]
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine

Return to Honorverse