Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests

San Martin nobles

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: San Martin nobles
Post by drothgery   » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:19 pm

drothgery
Admiral

n7axw wrote:There is nothing illegal about calling an election in wartime. It may well have happened off stage.

On the other hand, it was the mess in the Lords that was the problem. Once that was resolved, the Grantville government may well not have seen a need for an election.
On the other hand, the San Martino peers were widely believed to be sympathetic to the Centrist/Crown Loyalist alliance, and they did not have an absolute majority in the Lords. They have a pretty solid working majority (even without the San Martinos) as long as there's an external threat, but that shouldn't last indefinitely.
Post by Greentea   » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:58 pm

Greentea
Commander

Actually, I don't think an election would be an issue because the San Martin Lords and MPs (members of commons) had already been elected. It's just that procedurally you could hold up seating them in parliament until a motion had passed to seat them (which the House of Lords was actively blocking due to fears of a power shift) or after a general election (they would be automatically seated as winners of their elections but the High Ridge government was using the technical state of war to avoid holding elections). I would not be shocked if one of the first motions the Grantville government pushed through parliament was one to seat the San Martin Lords immediately. The factions which had been fighting to keep the San Martino lords and MPs out had been completely discredited.

Weird Harold wrote:
Hutch wrote:And just to complicate matters further, they might have held up a bit to allow the latest (and least heard-from) member of the Star Kingdom (Lynx) to get their nominations and nobles selected and ready for the Lords.

IIRC, they can't even seat all of the San Martin Lords because of the 10% per election limit. I think there is also a minimum time between general elections involved also.

I'm pretty sure that there has been at least one election since the High Ridge government collapsed -- they were beyond the five year maximum without a "state of emergency" already, and Grantville had no problem with wartime elections.
Cup of tea? Yes, please.
Post by SharkHunter   » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:26 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
Hutch wrote:And just to complicate matters further, they might have held up a bit to allow the latest (and least heard-from) member of the Star Kingdom (Lynx) to get their nominations and nobles selected and ready for the Lords.

IIRC, they can't even seat all of the San Martin Lords because of the 10% per election limit. I think there is also a minimum time between general elections involved also.

I'm pretty sure that there has been at least one election since the High Ridge government collapsed -- they were beyond the five year maximum without a "state of emergency" already, and Grantville had no problem with wartime elections.
I've completely forgotten when the 10% limit applies, was that just the Talbott systems or did it apply to Trevor's Star (San Martin) as well? I'm also wondering if there's a ratio in effect for San Martin in terms of "how many peers"?
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:08 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

Weird Harold wrote:IIRC, they can't even seat all of the San Martin Lords because of the 10% per election limit. I think there is also a minimum time between general elections involved also.

SharkHunter wrote:I've completely forgotten when the 10% limit applies, was that just the Talbott systems or did it apply to Trevor's Star (San Martin) as well? I'm also wondering if there's a ratio in effect for San Martin in terms of "how many peers"?

Sharkhunter,

the 10% rule is for the Star Kingdom's parliament, not the imperial parliament. Only 10% of the total number of lords can be added at one sitting. Where they are from isn't material. The San Martinos were strongly supportive of Cromarty and the Centrists, so High Ridge et al. delayed the election.

One reason they were so quick to annex Lynx was that it gave the then government (especially New Kiev and Descroix) a lot of opportunity to coopt the choices and look for people they would prefer to see seated. Funnel a bunch of money into the local system, and then the local government gives you the sort of officials you want.

The Talbot Quadrant is a different issue altogether, and has its own parliament. The Imperial Parliament will be skewed by law and on purpose for some 75 years-- the details were in SftS, and HoS.

Rob
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:11 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:I've completely forgotten when the 10% limit applies, was that just the Talbott systems or did it apply to Trevor's Star (San Martin) as well? I'm also wondering if there's a ratio in effect for San Martin in terms of "how many peers"?

Honor's explanation to Michelle at the beginning of War Of Honor:

War of Honor
Chapter One
wrote:
"Of course not," Henke snorted with the rich contempt for aristocratic defense of privilege possible only for one born to that same aristocracy. "What? You really think that anyone who has as good a thing going for them as the peers do is going to vote to give half of her power to someone else?"

"Actually," Honor said seriously, "that's exactly what High Ridge is afraid of, and a lot of the Independents agree with him."

"That's what Mom said," Henke said in an exasperated voice, "but I just can't see it happening, somehow."

"High Ridge can. And so can Elizabeth and Willie Alexander. It's all a matter of numbers, Mike, and the San Martino peers could very well shift the balance in the Lords to a point that makes it possible for the Queen to pull it off at last. But the joker in the deck is the combination of the Constitution's limit on the creation of new peerages and the terms of the Act of Annexation which admitted Trevor's Star to the Star Kingdom. The Constitution limits increases in the total membership of the House of Lords to no more than ten percent between any two general elections, and the Act of Annexation specifies that none of the new peers from San Martin will be confirmed or seated until after the next general election.

"So what the Government and its supporters in the Lords are trying to do is to postpone that election as long as possible. At the moment, there's not much question that the San Martinos are very solidly behind the Queen and the Centrists. After all, it was our Navy, under Elizabeth and the Cromarty Government, which kicked the Peeps out of the Trevor's Star System and liberated them, and it was Cromarty and your father, as Foreign Secretary, who negotiated the actual terms of their admission to the Star Kingdom. Not only that, but San Martin had no hereditary aristocracy before its annexation, so it's not likely that the San Martinos are going to have the same . . . devoted attachment to the status quo in Parliament. Gratitude to the people they see as responsible for their liberation, coupled with that lack of aristocratic tradition, means the new peers would be likely—almost certain, in fact—to support a motion by Lord Alexander, as the leader of the Centrist Party, to transfer that power of the purse to the House of Commons.

There is considerably more in the Exposition, but the highlighted section is the whole explanation of the ddelay in seating the San Martinos.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by saber964   » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:22 pm

saber964
Admiral

There have been several mentions of this or that politician being washed out office in the post High Ridge tsunami on the various HD news programs like Into The Fire. Plus IIRC there can only be 5 T-years between general elections so if High Ridge came to power in 1915 PD that means the election would take place sometime in 1920 or early 1921 PD.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:30 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

saber964 wrote:There have been several mentions of this or that politician being washed out office in the post High Ridge tsunami on the various HD news programs like Into The Fire. Plus IIRC there can only be 5 T-years between general elections so if High Ridge came to power in 1915 PD that means the election would take place sometime in 1920 or early 1921 PD.

It is possible for the government to delay elections beyond five years if a declared state of emergency is in effect. There was such a state of emergency due to Haven War I, and when the High Ridge government took control, the reason they were not interested in concluding a peace was so they could continue the state of emergency, thereby allowing them to continue to postpone a general election. We don't know how long it had been since the Cromarty government had had a general election, so the 5 year period started running much earlier than 1915.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Zakharra   » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:53 am

Zakharra
Captain of the List

fallsfromtrees wrote:
saber964 wrote:There have been several mentions of this or that politician being washed out office in the post High Ridge tsunami on the various HD news programs like Into The Fire. Plus IIRC there can only be 5 T-years between general elections so if High Ridge came to power in 1915 PD that means the election would take place sometime in 1920 or early 1921 PD.

It is possible for the government to delay elections beyond five years if a declared state of emergency is in effect. There was such a state of emergency due to Haven War I, and when the High Ridge government took control, the reason they were not interested in concluding a peace was so they could continue the state of emergency, thereby allowing them to continue to postpone a general election. We don't know how long it had been since the Cromarty government had had a general election, so the 5 year period started running much earlier than 1915.

The emergency also allowed the High Ridge government to divert money from military projects to civilian projects to basically buy the public. ie social welfare programs. Some of the funds was used to rebuild the destroyed Basilisk Station infrastructure that had been destroyed in the war, but much of the rest went into the High Ridge pet social system projects. They were also, I believe, trying to make it so the progressive tax structure that had come into being with the needs of the war be made permanent, so the wealthier people would be taxed at a higher rate. Basically, they took military money for social pet projects and as long as the emergency continued, they could continue to do that.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:02 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:It is possible for the government to delay elections beyond five years if a declared state of emergency is in effect. There was such a state of emergency due to Haven War I, and when the High Ridge government took control, the reason they were not interested in concluding a peace was so they could continue the state of emergency, thereby allowing them to continue to postpone a general election. We don't know how long it had been since the Cromarty government had had a general election, so the 5 year period started running much earlier than 1915.
Zakharra wrote:

The emergency also allowed the High Ridge government to divert money from military projects to civilian projects to basically buy the public. ie social welfare programs. Some of the funds was used to rebuild the destroyed Basilisk Station infrastructure that had been destroyed in the war, but much of the rest went into the High Ridge pet social system projects. They were also, I believe, trying to make it so the progressive tax structure that had come into being with the needs of the war be made permanent, so the wealthier people would be taxed at a higher rate. Basically, they took military money for social pet projects and as long as the emergency continued, they could continue to do that.

Actually it wasn't High Ridge who was into the social projects. That was the Liberals price for supporting him.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:52 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Zakharra wrote:The emergency also allowed the High Ridge government to divert money from military projects to civilian projects to basically buy the public. ie social welfare programs. Some of the funds was used to rebuild the destroyed Basilisk Station infrastructure that had been destroyed in the war, but much of the rest went into the High Ridge pet social system projects. They were also, I believe, trying to make it so the progressive tax structure that had come into being with the needs of the war be made permanent, so the wealthier people would be taxed at a higher rate. Basically, they took military money for social pet projects and as long as the emergency continued, they could continue to do that.
It's less that the state of emergency let them divert money - it's that the progressive income tax was explicitly tied to the state of emergency. So while it lasts there's extra revenue from those emergency taxes. (It's also possible, though not stated anywhere I can recall, that some of the fee increased on Junction traffic were also linked so that same state of emergency)

Cancel the state of emergency and the government's income immediately drops; but the Lords should be just as free to shuffle around the money that remains.

Return to Honorverse