Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests

Tiny tech questions...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Tiny tech questions...
Post by SharkHunter   » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:18 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
SharkHunter wrote:What are some other tiny tech things we oughtta wonder about?

Related to Honor's bionic arm, what all is her bionic eye capable of? Does she hear cheesy sound effects when she changes focus? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OyIBuF73PQ

Cheesy? why no!! But all the nearby speakers broadcast the sound from the Bionic Woman show so that the rest of the HonorVerse know that she's looking downrange. It wouldn't do for her to be able to zoom in on Hamish's *cough* assets without alerting us viewing audience members, after all.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by n7axw   » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:32 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
SharkHunter wrote:What are some other tiny tech things we oughtta wonder about?

Related to Honor's bionic arm, what all is her bionic eye capable of? Does she hear cheesy sound effects when she changes focus? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OyIBuF73PQ

Maybe something like the electric adjustment on the driver's side seat in my wife's Chevy Venture: G..R..R..O..O...A..N...

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Brigade XO   » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:21 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Humm.
Per my uncle who was in the FBI, back in the '50s they were required to sometimes shoot at 75yrd with the pistols just incase they got into a situation such as across a gas station parking lot and be able to effectivly engage. Not talking TV stuff, just hit the dam target. His weapon of choice was a Mod. 19 Smith&Wesson .357 with 4" bbl. I have also seen him shoot a .12gage pump shotgun, off-hand, and keep the slugs in the 8 ring at 100yds

I used to regularly do varment control (woodchucks) at 100yds with a bolt action .22 Hornet. That was about the same length bbl as your standard .22 pump rifle (which is not long). The 4x scope helped but the 40gr .223 bullet for the Hornet does about 2,400ft/sec with a factory load and is essentialy shooting flat to 100yds. Breathing control helps.

Given what is described for the linkage between the pulsar in her finger&arm and the cyber eye, I am going to take a not so wild guess and suggest that the eye's reticule and range-finder are going to the sight picture such that she would put the cross-hairs over the target based on the direction of the muzzle and the calcluated range. If she were standing still, she could probably take a standing person's eye out at 100yds. At that range, you don't spray, you fire, recover, fire- continue as needed.
Post by stewart   » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:51 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

Weird Harold wrote:
n7axw wrote:What I find myself wondering about is the effect of covering up the end of the barrel with the end of her finger.

Only a problem for the first round, if that.

I suspect it would have no more effect that the condoms applied to M-16 muzzles in 'Nam -- none.

---------------

From "War of Honor"

"Forgive me, Kapitän," she said. "As you may know, I've experienced more than one assassination attempt of my own. When my father helped me design my prosthesis, he suggested a few small . . . improvements. This," she handed Isenhoffer the magazine, "was one of them."
She raised her hand between them and sent its artificial muscles another command. In response, her left index finger snapped abruptly and rigidly straight, and the hand's other fingers folded under, almost as if they were gripping the butt of a nonexistent pulser.
"I'm afraid I'd have to have the tip of the finger rebuilt if I ever used it," she told him with a whimsical smile. "But Daddy insisted that it would be worthwhile."
"I see," Isenhoffer said a bit blankly. Then he gave himself a shake. "I see," he repeated in more normal tones. "Your father would appear to be a man of rare foresight, Your Grace."
"I've always thought so," Honor replied, studiously ignoring the fulminating look Andrew LaFollet was busy sending in her direction.

and from "At All Costs"

Her artificial left hand flexed oddly. It rose before her, forefinger rigid, and in the instant before Timothy Meares' fire reached her, the tip of that forefinger exploded as a five-dart burst of pulser fire ripped across the flag bridge and the flag lieutenant's head erupted in a ghastly spray of gray, red, and pulverized white bone.

-- Stewart

Return to Honorverse