Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 138 guests

Repeated Chapters/Content in books

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Repeated Chapters/Content in books
Post by n7axw   » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:40 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

ericth wrote:
fallsfromtrees wrote:As of the next Honor story, all three storylines will be merged again; there will be no more Shadows or Torch books. So you won't see the problem of repeated text again.

I must have missed this, could I get a link to the source for this one?

"An Authorial Note" at the very beginning of Storm from the Shadows.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by SWM   » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:58 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:
ericth wrote:I must have missed this, could I get a link to the source for this one?

"An Authorial Note" at the very beginning of Storm from the Shadows.

Don

I believe ericth was asking where the information that the two extra series would be ended and their threads incorporated into the main books. That was not mentioned in the Authorial Note. That came from one of the interviews David made late last year.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by SWM   » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:04 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:Actually, DW intended A Rising Thunder and Shadow of Freedom to be one book, and then wound up splitting it into two about a third of the way through writing the first draft. Whether the next "mainline" book actually winds up as one, two or (gasp) three books is something nobody is going to know until he sits down and gets the first draft written.

Not quite. It got far past the first draft. It was actually submitted as a single manuscript (titled A Rising Thunder) to Baen. The publisher sent it back with the suggestion that it be split into two books, with additional text.
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:34 pm

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

SWM wrote:Not quite. It got far past the first draft. It was actually submitted as a single manuscript (titled A Rising Thunder) to Baen. The publisher sent it back with the suggestion that it be split into two books, with additional text.

Too lazy to go look but I am pretty sure the decision was RFC's. He said so somewhere here on the forums several times possibly. IIRC :-)

After reading both really think it was the right call. Even with the split those two books jump around a lot.

Have fun,
T2M

Edit I did look it up. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3217&p=72414&hilit=split#p72414
RFC wrote:That's not quite correct. I see no reason to unify those story lines because I never separated them, and I have no intention of writing additional 350,000-word novels just so I can put all the details in every area of the universe into a single volume. Reader complaints may be informative, but I don't allow them to dictate the way in which I think the story needs to be told. The notion that I decided half way through writing ART that I was going to regretfully give up and split things off isn't really accurate. I was well into the project with some story elements which could have gone in either the Talbott Quadrant portion of the story or the Home Front portion of the story and the book was growing longer than the word count to which I am attenmpting to hold them. I therefore decided that those elements would be pulled out of ART and moved over to SoF. The story lines will merge where they merge and be told separately where that seems best to me. The real problem, I think, is that people persist in thinking of them as separate series when they are nothing of the sort at this point. The TQ books are just as "main stem" as the Home Front books, at least as far as the guy telling the story is concerned.
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"
Post by cthia   » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:40 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Unless RFC says otherwise, I would be surprised if the next installment didn't repeat some passages as well, in order to sew the forked storylines back together.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by JohnRoth   » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:49 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

SWM wrote:
JohnRoth wrote:Actually, DW intended A Rising Thunder and Shadow of Freedom to be one book, and then wound up splitting it into two about a third of the way through writing the first draft. Whether the next "mainline" book actually winds up as one, two or (gasp) three books is something nobody is going to know until he sits down and gets the first draft written.

Not quite. It got far past the first draft. It was actually submitted as a single manuscript (titled A Rising Thunder) to Baen. The publisher sent it back with the suggestion that it be split into two books, with additional text.

I agree with thinkstoomuch: RFC posted here that he split it before Baen ever saw a draft. He's said that a couple of times, and specifically said he wanted to stop speculation that Baen wanted him to split it.
Post by SWM   » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:01 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:
SWM wrote:Not quite. It got far past the first draft. It was actually submitted as a single manuscript (titled A Rising Thunder) to Baen. The publisher sent it back with the suggestion that it be split into two books, with additional text.

I agree with thinkstoomuch: RFC posted here that he split it before Baen ever saw a draft. He's said that a couple of times, and specifically said he wanted to stop speculation that Baen wanted him to split it.

You're right. I was remembering early discussion about it. There was a lot of confusion when ART came out, since we hadn't heard about the split until it was about to be published, and people thought that the delay in publishing was due to splitting it. Sorry about bringing that erroneous perception up again.
Post by stewart   » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:54 am

stewart
Captain of the List

Fred wrote:I'm reading "Shadow of Freedom" and I'm a little disappointed that entire chapters have been repeated from previous books. This happened in the book or two before this as well. I'm reading them on my iPad, which purchases them off of iTiunes and I'm reading them in the order listed, I think this is the 15th book in the series. Not only that, but the books have gone from $6.99 and 1000+ pages to $8.99 under 500 pages and it has repeated content from earlier books. A big disappointment. I hope the rest of the series doesn't go down this path.

-------

As the others here have said -- Welcome to the forum Fred.

Besides all the reasons given by the others, here is another.
The first few books in the Honorverse series could (and did) stand alone with minimal referencing to previous books. Now, however, the Honorverse has grown to over 30 books when the anthologies, Star Kingdom and "youth" books are included. (not bad for a 20+ year project which RFC admitted he wasn't quite sure how large his canvas was going to get).

At this point, if there ISN'T some form of referencing between the books (present and previous) an innocent new reader could get lost.
Some evidence of just that can be seen in some of the forum comments.
BAEN's Free Library and Joe Buckeley's FifthImperium site have BAEN downloads of the earlier books which are well worth the read.

-- Stewart (thanks RFC for now counting 17+ years of reading)
Post by ericth   » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:25 pm

ericth
Commander

SWM wrote:I believe ericth was asking where the information that the two extra series would be ended and their threads incorporated into the main books. That was not mentioned in the Authorial Note. That came from one of the interviews David made late last year.

Anyone know which of the interviews? Was it the long one on YouTube recorded in August of 2014? That's the only one I can find in that time frame. The only HonorCon 2014 video that actually feature RFC is that one from August.

Edit: the Grayson wedding practices vid also appears to feature RFC but I didnt think that was a likely candidate for the bit about the series convergence.
Post by SWM   » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:32 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

ericth wrote:
SWM wrote:I believe ericth was asking where the information that the two extra series would be ended and their threads incorporated into the main books. That was not mentioned in the Authorial Note. That came from one of the interviews David made late last year.

Anyone know which of the interviews? Was it the long one on YouTube recorded in August of 2014? That's the only one I can find in that time frame. The only HonorCon 2014 video that actually feature RFC is that one from August.

Edit: the Grayson wedding practices vid also appears to feature RFC but I didnt think that was a likely candidate for the bit about the series convergence.

I think the August interview is the one, but I can't recall for sure without listening to it again.

Return to Honorverse