Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 52 guests

CLAC LAC launching

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
CLAC LAC launching
Post by Lord Skimper   » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:11 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

How does a CLAC launch LAC?
Post by stewart   » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:23 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

Lord Skimper wrote:How does a CLAC launch LAC?

----------------

Only your RFC (and possibly Bu 9) know for sure, but from released graphics, I would surmise that counter-grav and tractors control / guide and eject the LAC's from the lateral bay hatches on the CLAC's.

HMAMC Wayfarer required that the launching side sidewalls to be down. I would assume that to be the same.

I recommend posting a query to VAdm Alice Truman for a definitive answer. :D

-- Stewart
Re: CLAC LAC launching
Post by HB of CJ   » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:25 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

Good question. I do not have a clue. How many tons does a big LAC displace or mass? Now thinking inside the box that any possible tractor beam or pressor beam would either tear the LAC apart or overly stress the structure of the CLAC itself?

Giant air pressure bazooka tubes? Steam powered catapults? Electro magnetic rail gun thingies? And ... how long would it take for a CLAC to dump all of its LACs in an emergency launch anyhow? Somebody here will tell us. HB of CJ (old coot) Cm.
Post by SharkHunter   » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:20 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

HB of CJ wrote:Good question. I do not have a clue. How many tons does a big LAC displace or mass? Now thinking inside the box that any possible tractor beam or pressor beam would either tear the LAC apart or overly stress the structure of the CLAC itself?

Giant air pressure bazooka tubes? Steam powered catapults? Electro magnetic rail gun thingies? And ... how long would it take for a CLAC to dump all of its LACs in an emergency launch anyhow? Somebody here will tell us. HB of CJ (old coot) Cm.
Has to be similar to Pinnace(s) etc. in boat bays, just a different sizing. Given that they've got countergrav that can perfectly balance an assault shuttle in full gravity, and be ratio dialed in, it wouldn't take much of a pressor or tractor beam onboard the LAC to launch, after which reaction thrusters move them outside the sidewall and wedge. They could also dump them inside the sidewalls while accelerating, and the LACs would spill out the CLAC's kilt even without thrusters or their own wedges being powered up. Once outside the CLAC's grav bands of whatever type, the LACs put up their wedges and accelerate out.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by cthia   » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:06 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I almost enquired about this same thing, in Harold's MATC thread. Of course, I don't know what solution RFC has employed. Obviously it's classified. :lol:

However, seems to me, optimum solutions would include assistance from the LAC itself. If a LAC is non-passive in the launching role, it can also be non-passive in an equally daunting recovery process.

Do I remember correctly, back in the day, Scotty mentioned something about having to down check LACs after an operation? Maybe their launching systems needed maintenance.

Wait! Don't ships slow to launch speeds? Well, there you go. Attain proper speed. Open bay doors. Acquire launch vector. Reverse engines hard about and fling them out.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

(Totally couldn't resist that.)

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by SharkHunter   » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:23 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

The one thing we do know is that the launch cycle doesn't involve a big noisy "hey, we're launching a whole bunch of impeller drive parasite ships", because Minotaur was able to launch all of her LACs without a full set of later-build RHN ships never detected a thing. Same thing during Buttercup, though; the RMN can launch without detection so long as they are outside RD range, and we know that the LAC stealth goes down to pretty much zip once they go to full acceleration because in subsequent actions the LAC count(s) get picked up relatively quickly.

I don't have any textev for how noisy the Haven LACs and LAC launches have been, because to date there haven't been any RHN sneak attacks a la the RMN /Audrey Pyne's at Hera in 'Ashes of Victory'.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by Theemile   » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:17 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

The Ghosts had "strap on" cold air thruster systems to allow them to launch from the Freighter bays for OB without damaging the freighter bays. I would assume that LACs had a similiar, though integrated, system.

We know they dock nose first in the bays, and launching would involve them backing out
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by SharkHunter   » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:47 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

:twisted: :twisted:
--smart arse Skimper suppression mode on--
Hey, that answer's been available since the early days of radio:

"with a puff of smoke and a might HIGH-HO silver, away!!" ;)
--mode off, slinks quietly offstage--
---------------------
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:51 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:How does a CLAC launch LAC?

Like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFOHy791kRE
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Hutch   » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:42 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:Has to be similar to Pinnace(s) etc. in boat bays, just a different sizing. Given that they've got countergrav that can perfectly balance an assault shuttle in full gravity, and be ratio dialed in, it wouldn't take much of a pressor or tractor beam onboard the LAC to launch, after which reaction thrusters move them outside the sidewall and wedge. They could also dump them inside the sidewalls while accelerating, and the LACs would spill out the CLAC's kilt even without thrusters or their own wedges being powered up. Once outside the CLAC's grav bands of whatever type, the LACs put up their wedges and accelerate out.

I think SharkHunter has the answer, pressor beans (we haven't really seen them yet but if you have tractor beams, which the Honorverse does have, it seems to follow) to clear the sidewalls (keeps the LACs under control so they do not interfere with each other, then reaction thrusters on a pre-set course (to avoid wedge and other LACs) and finally bring up their wedges once clear and in formation.

Lots of simulator and real-time practice on that, I would think, with CLAC competitions on which ship can deploy fastest and in good order.
Last edited by Hutch on Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5

Return to Honorverse