Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 18 guests

Detecting wormholes by resonance zone?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Detecting wormholes by resonance zone?
Post by SWM   » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:56 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Hutch wrote:Hmmm....just how many stars are there in the approzimatley 1,000,000,000 cubic light years in known space (imagining a cube with sides of 1000 ly and 1,000 ly from the central point (Sol))?

On the order of 4 million stars in 1,000,000,000 cubic light-years, in the vicinity of Sol. But known space is considerably larger than that. Manticore itself is more than 500 light-years from Sol, which puts it outside your hypothetical box.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:28 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

SWM wrote:
Hutch wrote:Hmmm....just how many stars are there in the approzimatley 1,000,000,000 cubic light years in known space (imagining a cube with sides of 1000 ly and 1,000 ly from the central point (Sol))?

On the order of 4 million stars in 1,000,000,000 cubic light-years, in the vicinity of Sol. But known space is considerably larger than that. Manticore itself is more than 500 light-years from Sol, which puts it outside your hypothetical box.

IIRC there was a comment from someone that wormholes only occur around G class stars, so that cuts down on the number considerably. Still going to be a large number, but not the 4 million you quoted.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Hutch   » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:43 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

SWM wrote:

I was going to argue with you, but realized my math was faulty at the last minute (literally, as I opened this page to type my reply).

Actually it would have to be 2000 LY in diameter to all sides with 2000 ly sides, giving us 8,000,000,000 cubic light years in 'known space'.

That is a considerable amount of territory to go prospecting in, even if only G-types are likely to house wormholes.

My bad. In my defense, I can balance my checkbook...most of the time....
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Vince   » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:43 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

Hutch wrote:I was going to argue with you, but realized my math was faulty at the last minute (literally, as I opened this page to type my reply).

Actually it would have to be 2000 LY in diameter to all sides with 2000 ly sides, giving us 8,000,000,000 cubic light years in 'known space'.

That is a considerable amount of territory to go prospecting in, even if only G-types are likely to house wormholes.

Wormholes historically (as of The Universe of Honor Harrington in the More Than Honor anthology) were primarily associated with F, G & K class stars. That said, the second oldest (in the Solarian League, at least) wormhole central terminus is Yildun, which IIRC is an A class star. We also have the example of "The Twins" (known only to the Mesan Alignment and the readers) which has two wormhole termini (one is associated with the Felix Junction -also known only to the Mesan Alignment, higher-ups in Mannerheim, and the readers- and the other is a single hyper-bridge to Torch) around an M class star. And the Talbott terminus associated with the Manticoran Wormhole Junction is located in an M class star system.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by munroburton   » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:46 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Vince wrote:
Hutch wrote:I was going to argue with you, but realized my math was faulty at the last minute (literally, as I opened this page to type my reply).

Wormholes historically (as of The Universe of Honor Harrington in the More Than Honor anthology) were primarily associated with F, G & K class stars. That said, the second oldest (in the Solarian League, at least) wormhole central terminus is Yildun, which IIRC is an A class star. We also have the example of "The Twins" (known only to the Mesan Alignment and the readers) which has two wormhole termini (one is associated with the Felix Junction -also known only to the Mesan Alignment, higher-ups in Mannerheim, and the readers- and the other is a single hyper-bridge to Torch) around an M class star. And the Talbott terminus associated with the Manticoran Wormhole Junction is located in an M class star system.

Surveying considerations may affect where termini are found; there's not much reason to survey a Class O, B or A star outside of scientific curiousity, as they're too short-lived for life-supporting planets to develop. Granted, there are fewer of them compared to the more common G, K and especially M.

If the revised volume of space contains 32 million stars, there should be approximately 11 O, 40,000 B and 200,000 A class stars. I could see doing all the O's, but after the 100th or 1,000th B and A, the scientific community in the Honorverse might have collected enough real data to downgrade particular star types for colony surveying.
Post by phillies   » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:23 pm

phillies
Admiral

SWM wrote:
SharkHunter wrote:Wouldn't it be interesting if -- in the processing of investigating a sensor ghost (worrying about another Oyster Bay attack) one of the GA's fighting ships got a few twitchy gravitational readings in an unexpected and previously "not real interesting corner" of one of the main star systems?

AKA a Lynxian or Torchese (hard to detect) wormhole terminus to parts unknown... Boy, that could hoist a few folks on their own petard...

It would certainly be interesting, but highly unlikely, since they are extremely hard to detect.

Except for the rule, planted some books back, that a wormhole that is harder to find from one end is easier to find from the other.
Post by SWM   » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:18 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

phillies wrote:
SWM wrote:It would certainly be interesting, but highly unlikely, since they are extremely hard to detect.

Except for the rule, planted some books back, that a wormhole that is harder to find from one end is easier to find from the other.

Easier is not the same as easy. They still needed highly specialized equipment, and they already knew exactly where it was.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine

Return to Honorverse