Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 147 guests

The Carnivorous Ultradreadnought

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
The Carnivorous Ultradreadnought
Post by phillies   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:30 am

phillies
Admiral

As a tribute to a fellow contributor, one whose contributions I have always found highly creative even if sometimes they have not stood up absolutely solidly and without refinement to careful analysis, I offer a new species of warship.

The ship is based on the fact that the SLN needs some new weapons systems in order to live up to its revealed-by-Rajampet name, the Omnipotent Solarian League Navy.

The new class is based on several features:

Ships of the Wall can form a wall, sidewall to sidewall, with only wedges and a few bows and sterns exposed to the foe.

If two wedges collide, the less one is smited entirely.

If no one is on board, so you do not need to worry about acceleration compensators, a ship can pull thousands of gravities...Honor Harrington did this once. Of course, no one was on board, but the ship was under remote control.

The components of the new ship class are extremely expensive, guaranteeing that there are huge amounts of funds available to validate all design issues.

We now construct a stock of large ships with huge wedge generators and lots of power systems. No weapons are on board, only automated point defense systems, all mounted facing forward from the bow hammerhead. The ships are massively overbuilt to stand a large acceleration,thousands of gees.

The ships following the wise plans of EE Smith, form an (inverted) cone of battle, sidewall to sidewall but with the ships lying in a circle so there are no exposed sides at all, so only limited areas at the nose and stern are exposed. This can be improved if the wedges can be reshaped so that they all tilt toward the central axis, so all countermissile fire tends to protect all ships.

At the appropriate time, the skeleton crews abandon ship. The ship itself -- made of multiple separate parts -- charges the enemy ships at an enormous acceleration, runs them down, and uses its powerful wedge to eat the enemy alive.

This truly brilliant scheme has some minor challenges..perhaps bucklers would help.

And in tribute to someone whose ideas I have enjoyed reading, even if in the best tradition of the OSLN they could sometimes use a bit of fine tuning, the vessel is part of the (Oh, I shan't name the person being honored, lest I hurt feelings, though I do like the creativity of at least some of his ideas) class.
Re: The Carnivorous Ultradreadnought
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:27 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

phillies wrote:As a tribute to a fellow contributor, one whose contributions I have always found highly creative even if sometimes they have not stood up absolutely solidly and without refinement to careful analysis, I offer a new species of warship.

The ship is based on the fact that the SLN needs some new weapons systems in order to live up to its revealed-by-Rajampet name, the Omnipotent Solarian League Navy.

Ships of the Wall can form a wall, sidewall to sidewall, with only wedges and a few bows and sterns exposed to the foe.

If no one is on board, so you do not need to worry about acceleration compensators, a ship can pull thousands of gravities...Honor Harrington did this once. Of course, no one was on board, but the ship was under remote control.

The components of the new ship class are extremely expensive, guaranteeing that there are huge amounts of funds available to validate all design issues.

We now construct a stock of large ships with huge wedge generators and lots of power systems. No weapons are on board, only automated point defense systems, all mounted facing forward from the bow hammerhead. The ships are massively overbuilt to stand a large acceleration,thousands of gees.

The ships following the wise plans of EE Smith, form an (inverted) cone of battle, sidewall to sidewall but with the ships lying in a circle so there are no exposed sides at all, so only limited areas at the nose and stern are exposed. This can be improved if the wedges can be reshaped so that they all tilt toward the central axis, so all countermissile fire tends to protect all ships.

At the appropriate time, the skeleton crews abandon ship. The ship itself -- made of multiple separate parts -- charges the enemy ships at an enormous acceleration, runs them down, and uses its powerful wedge to eat the enemy alive.

This truly brilliant scheme has some minor challenges..perhaps bucklers would help.

And in tribute to someone whose ideas I have enjoyed reading, even if in the best tradition of the OSLN they could sometimes use a bit of fine tuning, the vessel is part of the (Oh, I shan't name the person being honored, lest I hurt feelings, though I do like the creativity of at least some of his ideas) class.

Minor nit. I believe that it was Rafe Cardones that disabled the compensators on a merchant ship so it could accelerate at 2,000 g's in order to protect Harrington's ship.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by cthia   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:20 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

phillies wrote:As a tribute to a fellow contributor, one whose contributions I have always found highly creative even if sometimes they have not stood up absolutely solidly and without refinement to careful analysis, I offer a new species of warship.

EE Smith eh? Man did that take me back in time. I played football, quarterback. One team I dreaded playing was EE Smith, Fayetteville, NC. They played a veeery physical form of football. The "I" formation and the split "T." We always beat them. Mostly. But, we were accustomed to running up scores in the seventies, 71-6. Playing EE Smith, the scores tended to be like 6-3. All field goals!

As an author, I like his Lensman series for the heroine. Haven't read the Skylark series.

That Ultradreadnought will have to have a very high metabolism to consume so many ships. Perhaps a Meyerdahl modification. Like Honor.

And to assist in hearburn and indigestion, RFC can throw in a few tums, tums, tums, tums ...tummmmss.

Sorry phillies, couldn't resist.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Hutch   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:07 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

And of course, if it is an Ultradreadnought, it could only be crewed and handled by Ultramarines....Just going with the flow....
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by SharkHunter   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:49 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote:

EE Smith eh? Man did that take me back in time. I played football, quarterback. One team I dreaded playing was EE Smith, Fayetteville, NC. They played a veeery physical form of football. The "I" formation and the split "T." We always beat them. Mostly. But, we were accustomed to running up scores in the seventies, 71-6. Playing EE Smith, the scores tended to be like 6-3. All field goals!

As an author, I like his Lensman series for the heroine. Haven't read the Skylark series.

That Ultradreadnought will have to have a very high metabolism to consume so many ships. Perhaps a Meyerdahl modification. Like Honor.

And to assist in hearburn and indigestion, RFC can throw in a few tums, tums, tums, tums ...tummmmss.

Sorry phillies, couldn't resist.

Don't SKIMP on the tea with the tumms, you know tum tea tum...
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by stewart   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:22 am

stewart
Captain of the List

fallsfromtrees wrote:
Minor nit. I believe that it was Rafe Cardones that disabled the compensators on a merchant ship so it could accelerate at 2,000 g's in order to protect Harrington's ship.

------------------

You are correct; although he did get a medal AND a minor reaming by Hemphill for it, but it did start Hemphill out thinking about FTL comm possibilities....

-- Stewart
Post by Joat42   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:02 am

Joat42
Admiral

Hutch wrote:And of course, if it is an Ultradreadnought, it could only be crewed and handled by Ultramarines....Just going with the flow....

I do hope they have ultraviolet clearance.. (wonder how many that will catch that reference)..

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by phillies   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:19 am

phillies
Admiral

Joat42 wrote:
Hutch wrote:And of course, if it is an Ultradreadnought, it could only be crewed and handled by Ultramarines....Just going with the flow....

I do hope they have ultraviolet clearance.. (wonder how many that will catch that reference)..

Absolutely! Especially if ultraviolet clearance does not automatically include violet or lower clearance. Ultramarines, of course, do space to ground by popping the door on the spaceship, jumping, and remembering to roll when you land, without wasting money on retrorockets or space suits.
Post by Brigade XO   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:44 am

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Ramming Speed!!!!

Return to Honorverse