Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 138 guests

Examples of Foreshadowing

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Examples of Foreshadowing
Post by Valen123456   » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:33 pm

Valen123456
Lieutenant Commander

Compared to many other series (even exquisitely well written ones) one of RFC's strongest points is the long term internal consistency ("The Great Re-sizing" and Post Battle of Manticore time-shift not withstanding) of the Honorverse plot and characters. This allows for references or quips from one section to develop and come through very well, weather it is confined to one book or does not come to play until years down the line.

In looking through the series what are the best cases of foreshadowing of future events/people/developments that you have seen?

I will get the ball rolling with this little quote:

"It is obvious Daddy" Berry said. "There are only two things I'd be good at. First, being a housewife -talk about an obsolete profession- or, second, being a queen." - Berry Zilwiki - Crown of Slaves"
Re: Examples of Foreshadowing
Post by roseandheather   » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:20 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

"The universe... was not precisely overrunning with fairness, but it did seem that what went around came around. A point the Committee of Public Safety might want to bear in mind."
Thomas Theisman's inner monologue, Flag in Exile

Now who, exactly, was the man who put a pulser dart through Oscar Saint-Just's head and rather pointedly rearranged the entire political structure of the Republic of Haven? :mrgreen:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by wastedfly   » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:43 pm

wastedfly
Commodore

Every single DW book has forshadowing in the prelude and first three chapters. Can not remember a book that did not have it.

Every time I pick up a new DW book, I carefully read the first three oh so tightly exquisitely written chapters to see if I cannot puzzle out the "future". So far, not batting so well...
Post by dan92677   » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:01 am

dan92677
Commander

wastedfly wrote:Every single DW book has forshadowing in the prelude and first three chapters. Can not remember a book that did not have it.

Every time I pick up a new DW book, I carefully read the first three oh so tightly exquisitely written chapters to see if I cannot puzzle out the "future". So far, not batting so well...

Judging from the number of wrong guesses, I think that the rest of the forum members feel the same way!!
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:01 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

dan92677 wrote:
wastedfly wrote:Every single DW book has forshadowing in the prelude and first three chapters. Can not remember a book that did not have it.

Judging from the number of wrong guesses, I think that the rest of the forum members feel the same way!!

But if it was easy, anyone could play - oh wait, every one does
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by SharkHunter   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:34 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Thomas Theisman thinking about a tactical tight spot, and at that point he's only a Commander:
Honor of the Queen wrote:"On the other hand, Harrington was good. The People's Navy had studied her carefully since Basilisk, and she might just figure she could take Thunder if the Graysons kept the Masadans off her ass while she did it. Theisman couldn't imagine how she'd do it, but he wasn't prepared to say categorically that she couldn't. Only, in that case, where was she?

He looked at the Grayson formation again. If she was out there at all, she was behind that triangle, following it closely enough for its massed impellers to screen her from any gravity sensors in front of it..."
He guesses right, by the way.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all

Return to Honorverse