Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 124 guests

Forcing a Roland to withdraw...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Forcing a Roland to withdraw...
Post by SharkHunter   » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:56 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

rafael wrote:On the original question,I seem to remember that most of the Rolands going on independent missions in recent books are covered in pods increasing their armament significantly.
That's why I don't think a single SLN ship of any size can force even a Roland to withdraw, let alone "into action", unless there's a compelling reason for the DD to come "in system".

That's part of the reason for Laccoon 1's early execution: without Manticoran freighters in system, the RMN doesn't have to engage in commerce protection, putting the DD's, CL's and CA's at risk in League systems, aka no more Saltash opportunities, etc. Compare that to Silesia where Mark Sarnow is stuck trying to beard the dragon(s) so as to reduce that major fleet requirements for smaller ships.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by stewart   » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:10 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

thinkstoomuch wrote:
rafael wrote:On the original question,I seem to remember that most of the Rolands going on independent missions in recent books are covered in pods increasing their armament significantly.

Um ... Saltash. How many pods were used there?

Just saying,
T2M

------------------

Granted Saltash was an engagement using only internal tubes from Five (5) Rolands launching 4 double "broadsides".
They likely could have accomplished the same with fewer missiles, but it remains that they "COULD" have shot their magazines dry IF they either had more opponents or more robust opponents.

I agree that a single SLN vessel of any class below SD will likely not be able to force a single Roland to withdraw; but other than solo scouting missions, the Rolands are likely to operate in division or squadron strength.

-- Stewart
Post by Relax   » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:59 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

As HoS states, even the RMN scouting has been taken over by CL's for the most part. Though the only real difference between a CL and DD is a CL is designed for extended range missions and about two more missile/CM tubes(Old style). I would presume larger crews for more time off as well.

In short they are one and the same platform.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by SharkHunter   » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:41 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

You know what would be a fun RMN "little ship" assignment?

Commodore of a Roland Squadron tells Captain SoAndSo of the DD HMS Troublemaker (nickname, of course):

"We found a Frontier Fleet base in the XYZ system. Per Admiral Henke*, we're not really planning to attack soon, but we want you to go have some fun messing with their heads, guerilla style. (insert obligatory don't give away too many secrets or get yourself captured or blown up speech here)...

Let us know what you learn. See you in a few weeks."

*Maybe Henke loans the ship a Harkness trained computer tech, just for added kicks and giggles....
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by stewart   » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:19 am

stewart
Captain of the List

SharkHunter wrote:You know what would be a fun RMN "little ship" assignment?

Commodore of a Roland Squadron tells Captain SoAndSo of the DD HMS Troublemaker (nickname, of course):

"We found a Frontier Fleet base in the XYZ system. Per Admiral Henke*, we're not really planning to attack soon, but we want you to go have some fun messing with their heads, guerilla style. (insert obligatory don't give away too many secrets or get yourself captured or blown up speech here)...

Let us know what you learn. See you in a few weeks."

*Maybe Henke loans the ship a Harkness trained computer tech, just for added kicks and giggles....

----------------

sounds similar to what some un-named USN CGN's did on successive solo ops off a similar un-named Soviet Pacific Fleet base in the 1980's and 1990's -- 14 1/2 miles east of that un-named port.

The Soviet DDG's were continually having to go look for gas stations while the CGN's cruised about playing "Back in the USSR" on the ship's entertainment radio.....

-- Stewart

Return to Honorverse