Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 163 guests

Is the Solarian League actually run by bureaucrats?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Is the Solarian League actually run by bureaucrats?
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:56 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:
cthia wrote:I greatly resisted posting this, but alas, low intestinal fortitude.

The Solarian League reminds me more of something "glamorized" in Alvin Toffler's Furure Shock. It exhibits most of its main characteristics and almost all of its downsides.

An Adhocracy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adhocracy
Not sure I agree, my best assessment of the SL is something like the how court cases and legislation based on the Commerce Clause in the U.S. constitution has extended the reach of the federal government WAY beyond what the designer's originally intended. The analogy of the Mandarin's sitting on top of the "connections between the star systems" used in an earlier post fits my thoughts about "misusing the Commerce Clause to do the dirty work" of federalizing the money stream(s).

For example, if at any point post diaspora/Warshaski sail the "trans-stellars" are deemed as "too big to fail", like banks were in this last economic go round, doesn't that mean that from that point forward in the Honorverse, Pandora's box was open for business? Thoughts?

In large part the extension of the Commerce clause in the Constitution is due to the overly broad language in the 14th admendment, which extended Federal control in a LOT of ways that the original framers never contemplated.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:49 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:True, we just don't have a firm definition of what is (and isn't) subject to veto.

We know that the veto, or threat of it, is used primarily against foreign policy items - we're told that's why the league basically doesn't have foreign policy. (Except for the Eredani Edict - which as a constitutional amendment bypassed the normal channels)...

I think the issue of Vetoes is fairly straight-forward. Any member system can veto legislation; administrative procedural issues -- like forming a committee -- aren't subject to Veto because they only affect the Assembly and not the League as a whole.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by stewart   » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:37 am

stewart
Captain of the List

Actually this thread reminds me of Asimov's Foundation series where the initial protagonist (Hari Seldon, IIRC) was of the meritocracy class of bureaucrats. Of course Asimov let his universe develop to several thousand years before the cracks started to appear.

That would appear to be the case for the SL. With the bureaucrats and administrators running the day-to-day, the interstellar forum "thinks" it has legislative authority, but in reality is deceiving itself (sort of like the UN) (did I just say that ?!?)

-- Stewart

Return to Honorverse