Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 17 guests

Gas Stations, or....

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Gas Stations, or....
Post by Kytheros   » Tue May 26, 2015 11:19 pm

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

The "Hydrogen Farm" in Cerberus was automated, and orbiting the local star. It probably employed some version or derivative of the hydrogen catcher fields used by relativistic fusion drive ships, unless it was extracting directly from the star itself, though I'd expect that to be a tad touchy, and probably not .

I expect that most, if not all, systems with some space-based industry, or that regularly employ fusion power plants, will have some form of hydrogen farm. They might be of varying quality, but they will be there. A particularly poor or low-tech level system might mainly have a ground-based water conversion system.
Post by SWM   » Wed May 27, 2015 9:20 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Kytheros wrote:The "Hydrogen Farm" in Cerberus was automated, and orbiting the local star. It probably employed some version or derivative of the hydrogen catcher fields used by relativistic fusion drive ships, unless it was extracting directly from the star itself, though I'd expect that to be a tad touchy, and probably not .

I expect that most, if not all, systems with some space-based industry, or that regularly employ fusion power plants, will have some form of hydrogen farm. They might be of varying quality, but they will be there. A particularly poor or low-tech level system might mainly have a ground-based water conversion system.

I happened to run some numbers yesterday. If you had a square gas catcher 1000 km on a side, at the orbit of Mercury, you could collect about 2 tons of hydrogen a day from the solar wind, or 10 times that during a coronal event.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by SWM   » Wed May 27, 2015 10:33 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:But if you're a pre-impeller ship and need to build up speed before jumping into the Alpha bands you don't have much choice, with reaction rockets you can't practically bring enough fuel to reach relativistic speeds so you're stuck with a very long n-space acceleration phase.

Those old fusion-drive ships did have some problems to deal with.

First of all, they didn't have inertial compensators. That means they were limited to around 1 gee acceleration. They could probably go higher, but they have to run continuously for weeks or months at a time. So I doubt they went above 1.5 under normal circumstances.

Let's suppose they normally accelerated at 1 gee. They start out fully fueled from sources inside the home system. They push all the way up to 0.3 c. While accelerating in normal space, they want to collect as much hydrogen as they can, to top off the tanks before they transit. When they reach 0.3 c and full tanks, they transit to the alpha band.

Once in hyperspace, they can't collect any more hydrogen. If they have enough hydrogen, they might accelerate to a velocity just enough to stabilize them for the transit to the beta band. It is unlikely anyone would repeat that to get into the gamma band. Whenever they decide they can't go any higher, they accelerate to as high a velocity as they can and still leave a little bit of fuel.

When they reach their destination, they transit back to normal space, bleeding their velocity nearly down to zero. So they have to accelerate again with whatever fuel they have left. Once they start moving, they can collect hydrogen from space, again, but it won't be very much until they start moving faster. They will basically be sputtering on fumes. At their destination, they will need to refuel, either from a fueling station in the system or by carving up some ice or by flying around the system with the gas collector. Since most of these ships are exploration ships, there usually isn't a refueling station at the other end.

So we said the ship uses 1 gee acceleration to reach 0.3 c. Running some quick calculations, this ship (using hydrogen fusion drive at 100% efficiency) would require fuel massing 12 times the mass of the empty ship just to get up to that speed with no fuel left over. It's no wonder they need to replenish fuel in mid-flight. It requires a huge amount of hydrogen if it wants to bring enough into hyperspace to be useful.

The ship would take 106 days to reach 0.3 c from zero velocity, and it would travel 16 light-days distance before transiting. If we assume the average density of gas is about the same as at Earth orbit (5 particles per cubic centimeter), a square gas catcher 1000 km on a side would collect 3000 tons of hydrogen. The interstellar medium varies between 10% of that and 10 times that, with very rare regions of thousands of times that.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Kytheros   » Wed May 27, 2015 10:43 am

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

SWM wrote:
Kytheros wrote:The "Hydrogen Farm" in Cerberus was automated, and orbiting the local star. It probably employed some version or derivative of the hydrogen catcher fields used by relativistic fusion drive ships, unless it was extracting directly from the star itself, though I'd expect that to be a tad touchy, and probably not .

I happened to run some numbers yesterday. If you had a square gas catcher 1000 km on a side, at the orbit of Mercury, you could collect about 2 tons of hydrogen a day from the solar wind, or 10 times that during a coronal event.

Hell, park 'em above and below the plane of ecliptic, and you can pretty much cover most of the star with minimal side effects on the rest of the system, and Honorverse tech makes most of the potential problems trying to do something like that non-issues.
Post by Vince   » Wed May 27, 2015 12:49 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

SWM wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:But if you're a pre-impeller ship and need to build up speed before jumping into the Alpha bands you don't have much choice, with reaction rockets you can't practically bring enough fuel to reach relativistic speeds so you're stuck with a very long n-space acceleration phase.

Those old fusion-drive ships did have some problems to deal with.

First of all, they didn't have inertial compensators. That means they were limited to around 1 gee acceleration. They could probably go higher, but they have to run continuously for weeks or months at a time. So I doubt they went above 1.5 under normal circumstances.

Let's suppose they normally accelerated at 1 gee. They start out fully fueled from sources inside the home system. They push all the way up to 0.3 c. While accelerating in normal space, they want to collect as much hydrogen as they can, to top off the tanks before they transit. When they reach 0.3 c and full tanks, they transit to the alpha band.

Once in hyperspace, they can't collect any more hydrogen. If they have enough hydrogen, they might accelerate to a velocity just enough to stabilize them for the transit to the beta band. It is unlikely anyone would repeat that to get into the gamma band. Whenever they decide they can't go any higher, they accelerate to as high a velocity as they can and still leave a little bit of fuel.

When they reach their destination, they transit back to normal space, bleeding their velocity nearly down to zero. So they have to accelerate again with whatever fuel they have left. Once they start moving, they can collect hydrogen from space, again, but it won't be very much until they start moving faster. They will basically be sputtering on fumes. At their destination, they will need to refuel, either from a fueling station in the system or by carving up some ice or by flying around the system with the gas collector. Since most of these ships are exploration ships, there usually isn't a refueling station at the other end.

So we said the ship uses 1 gee acceleration to reach 0.3 c. Running some quick calculations, this ship (using hydrogen fusion drive at 100% efficiency) would require fuel massing 12 times the mass of the empty ship just to get up to that speed with no fuel left over. It's no wonder they need to replenish fuel in mid-flight. It requires a huge amount of hydrogen if it wants to bring enough into hyperspace to be useful.

The ship would take 106 days to reach 0.3 c from zero velocity, and it would travel 16 light-days distance before transiting. If we assume the average density of gas is about the same as at Earth orbit (5 particles per cubic centimeter), a square gas catcher 1000 km on a side would collect 3000 tons of hydrogen. The interstellar medium varies between 10% of that and 10 times that, with very rare regions of thousands of times that.

Another point about the older, non-impeller drive ships, or impeller drive ships without inertial compensators*, is that the hydrogen you are catching is essentially stationary, while you are moving (potentially very quickly, as high as .23c or .3c--respectively, the normal maximum safe speed and absolute maximum speed to transit from normal space to the alpha band of hyper-space).

All that hydrogen has inertia (remember, no inertial compensator) and energy will have to be expended to accelerate the hydrogen in the direction the ship is traveling. The energy loss can be thought of as drag and as the ship speed increases, so does the drag.

I remember reading an article somewhere a few decades ago about the Bussard ramjet and how the energy equations worked out. The point was made that a Roman galley, with slaves working the oars had better energy propulsion numbers. And even when the slaves were asleep, you could still get more energy out of the slaves body heat than you could collecting and fusing interstellar hydrogen.

On a different point (economic/financial), I suspect that just as today, time is money in the Honorverse. For merchant ships, they would probably fill up on hydrogen when in orbit around their destinations at the same time they are loading and unloading cargo. In support of that idea, Captain Malachai (the captain-owner with a 50% share of the ship) of the Candida Line's RMMS Voortrekker states to Commander Wu (captain of the RMN CL Cometary) when Captain Malachai is notified of the imposition of the Wartime Commerce Security Act:
A Rising Thunder, Chapter 2 wrote:“Even if I don’t get hit with the nondelivery penalty, I’m going to come up short on the note, especially if I have to sit in a parking orbit somewhere in the home system between now and then,” she pointed out. “A ship that’s not moving is only a hole in space that people pour money into. It’s sure as hell not a hole money comes out of!”
Well, that’s true enough, Wu reflected. And what are you going to do if she refuses?
Italics are the author's, boldface is my emphasis.

It just makes more sense financially if the merchantman makes more money for the time spent moving cargo (after deducting the costs for hydrogen) than it does making no money but saving the cost of hydrogen for the time spent using hydrogen catcher fields to refill the fuel tanks.

Another data point that indicates merchant ships value time spent moving cargo than time spent (and fuel costs reduced) using hydrogen catcher fields to refuel is that merchant ships arriving in a star system translate from hyper, accelerate in-system, then make turnover and decelerate to achieve orbit at the destination.

If they valued the time spent and money saved on fuel costs more than the time spent making money moving cargo, I would expect them not to accelerate in-system, but to deploy their hydrogen catcher fields to gather the fuel and use the drag of the catcher fields to further reduce the velocity the ship carried across the alpha wall, as well as the inward acceleration the ship will experience inside the hyper limit that the gravity source--usually a star, but can be a gas giant as well**--that produced the hyper limit in the first place will exert.

* Hyper drive invented 725 PD, impeller drive invented 1246 PD, Warshawski sails invented 1273 PD, inertial compensator invented 1384 PD. All dates are Post Diaspora (PD), taken from More Than Honor, The Universe of Honor Harrington, (1) Background (General).

** For an example of a gas giant with a hyper limit (lying outside the star's hyper limit), see Uriel in the Yeltsin's Star system (with the moon Blackbird, and later the Grayson's Blackbird shipyard(s) inside Uriel's hyper limit.)
The Honor of the Queen, Chapter 23 wrote:His eyes switched to a direct vision display filled with Uriel’s bloated sphere. The planet was so enormous it created a hyper limit of almost five light-minutes—half as deep as an M9’s. That meant Principality would have to accelerate at max for ninety-seven minutes before she could translate the hell out of here, and Harrington might have her cruisers smoking in on a ballistic course to pick off anyone who tried to run. With her drives down, he’d never see her coming till she hit radar range, but she’d see him the instant he lit off his impellers. That would give her time to adjust her own vector. Probably not by enough for a classic broadside duel, but certainly by enough for two cruisers to reduce a destroyer to glowing gas.
Italics are the author's, boldface is my emphasis.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by Bill Woods   » Wed May 27, 2015 1:13 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

SWM wrote:So we said the ship uses 1 gee acceleration to reach 0.3 c. Running some quick calculations, this ship (using hydrogen fusion drive at 100% efficiency) would require fuel massing 12 times the mass of the empty ship just to get up to that speed with no fuel left over. It's no wonder they need to replenish fuel in mid-flight. It requires a huge amount of hydrogen if it wants to bring enough into hyperspace to be useful.

The ship would take 106 days to reach 0.3 c from zero velocity, and it would travel 16 light-days distance before transiting.

Nitpick: 0.3 c is mildly relativistic, so it would take a little longer; 110 days of proper time. For a stationary observer, it'd take 111 days, over which the ship would travel 17 light-days.
I'm not sure what the specific impulse of a fusion rocket is; working backward from your mass ratio of 13, I get 3.6 e6 sec?
Last edited by Bill Woods on Wed May 27, 2015 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Wed May 27, 2015 1:57 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

Vince wrote:
I remember reading an article somewhere a few decades ago about the Bussard ramjet and how the energy equations worked out. The point was made that a Roman galley, with slaves working the oars had better energy propulsion numbers. And even when the slaves were asleep, you could still get more energy out of the slaves body heat than you could collecting and fusing interstellar hydrogen.

Vince,

I like your posts, and agree with this. Besides, I don't remember enough math to do any of the fuel calculations, and I find all of it very interesting. But I am stupidly stubborn about some subjects.

pet peeve of mine--Hollywood stereotypes, gladiators, slavery, "civilized" Romans. The horrible "barbarian" invasions that brought an end to endless Roman civil wars (ok, and replaced it with endless local wars). Remember that all of the recorded history of that period was written by Romans/Christians, and none of the non-literate (pre-roman gauls, germans, Kelts, Balts, Scyth/Sarmations) came out very well from that well of predjudice.

Romans sentenced criminals or indigents to slavery, and I don't doubt some of them ended up on merchant vessels at some point. But the Roman navy never used slaves to man the oars--that is just Hollywood bull. The persons manning the oars needed to be able to pick up weapons and join the boarding party --or to fight the enemy boarding party--so all of them were freemen. In the event the oars were damaged, survivors would need to be able to move around to either repair damages or attack the enemy.

Slaves sentenced in criminal court were usually sent to the salt mines--essentially a death sentence; or they were sold to owners of latifundia (plantations--manors in the medieval sense). The rich ruled Rome, but they didn't risk losing ships to vengeance minded slaves. Or waste serf labor.

Rob

edited twice--stupid laptop keyboard.
Post by kzt   » Wed May 27, 2015 2:10 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:So we said the ship uses 1 gee acceleration to reach 0.3 c. Running some quick calculations, this ship (using hydrogen fusion drive at 100% efficiency) would require fuel massing 12 times the mass of the empty ship just to get up to that speed with no fuel left over. It's no wonder they need to replenish fuel in mid-flight. It requires a huge amount of hydrogen if it wants to bring enough into hyperspace to be useful.

You already know that none of the energy of ships stuff works in the honorverse. It's all handwaving and mirrors.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed May 27, 2015 4:33 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:

You already know that none of the energy of ships stuff works in the honorverse. It's all handwaving and mirrors.

Hey, just because impellers, sails, and Honor's Cerberus fusion rocket ride all cheat doesn't mean that the numbers are also bogus for the per-impeller hydrogen gathering, fusion rocket, ships of the very early Diaspora ;)
Post by MAD-4A   » Thu May 28, 2015 2:13 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

Lots of pages - not sure what's been brought up but: all stars are mostly Hydrogen. Hydrogen is also the lightest element so (Like the Earths atmosphere)it floats to the top. With the enormous amount of energy produced by a star, it tends to blow much of that hydrogen off (that is what solar winds are). technically the Earth you are currently standing on is inside the Sun, it's within the Corona. HH Ships use directed gravity for propulsion, there is no reason that same technology couldn't be used to produce "Hydoscoops" a "funnel" of gravity "in-front" of the ship that scoops up stray hydrogen/solar winds, and condenses/compacts it into a stream that is directed into an intake port. There, freezers convert it into liquid hydrogen for storage. This gives the ships effectively unlimited range, just drop into a system and scoop some more. Space stations would, as a matter of SOP have scoops on them to store additional Hydrogen for it's own use and to provide ships berthed with them (primarily to damaged ships who limped in short on fuel before repairs) & to undamaged ships as a convenience not a necessity.
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.

Return to Honorverse