Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 90 guests

Gas Stations, or....

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Gas Stations, or....
Post by SWM   » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:28 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

I said the last time that I would be very interested in seeing your research once you were able to discuss it. I am still interested. Good luck with CERN!

I am particularly curious how your theory on gravitational distortions could hide an entire nebula less than a few thousand light-years away without producing the usual obvious distortions in electromagnetic radiation which give away gravitational lensing, for instance. I don't suppose you can say anything about that yet? There's a lot of implications if true. I look forward to seeing the paper!

As for my stating that a wormhole could get you another thousand light-years, we were specifically talking about the Honorverse and known wormholes (which do not follow the Schwartzchild theory at all). The text specifically tells us that no known wormhole is longer than about a thousand light-years. I do not deny that longer wormholes might exist somewhere in the Honorverse, but that has nothing to do with discussions of how far away a wormhole could take someone in the Honorverse right now in the story.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by cthia   » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:47 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:
I said the last time that I would be very interested in seeing your research once you were able to discuss it. I am still interested. Good luck with CERN!

I am particularly curious how your theory on gravitational distortions could hide an entire nebula less than a few thousand light-years away without producing the usual obvious distortions in electromagnetic radiation which give away gravitational lensing, for instance. I don't suppose you can say anything about that yet? There's a lot of implications if true. I look forward to seeing the paper!

As for my stating that a wormhole could get you another thousand light-years, we were specifically talking about the Honorverse and known wormholes (which do not follow the Schwartzchild theory at all). The text specifically tells us that no known wormhole is longer than about a thousand light-years. I do not deny that longer wormholes might exist somewhere in the Honorverse, but that has nothing to do with discussions of how far away a wormhole could take someone in the Honorverse right now in the story.

Oh no, my theory doesn't deal within our own galaxy. After all, how can a phenomena hide from you the galaxy you're in? Whether your own galaxy is hidden from other galaxies is a cat of a different color.

Several posts ago, I was simply stating, that for me, because of my work, there are phenomena that can hide, displace, even project other phenomena.

Whether or not it can happen in such relatively close proximity ... let's just say, I have an open mind.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Tue May 26, 2015 2:46 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Hydrogen is the universe's most prolific Olympic runner. Of all the universe's elemental gases, hydrogen rules the roost garnering 75 % of the medals.

Its properties, of being the least dense gas known, and more importantly its non polar characteristics would make it easy for a technologically advanced species to target and collect it from surrounding space, assisted by the polar nature and higher density of most other known elemental gases.

As a result, it is conceivable that every populated system has a hydrogen production facility. Any space faring species anyways. You can't operate a space station without a hydrogen production facility. You just can't.

It is also conceivable, that some systems may be akin to the Saudi, Irani, and Kuwaits of the Honorverse, sitting atop enormous hydrogen reserves via location to natural phenomena currying favor with hydrogen. One episode of Star Trek featured the Enterprise collecting vast amounts of hydrogen from a local nebula, to use as a weapon when discharged in the path of a Borg cube and ignited.

Nebulas are interstellar nurseries consisting of a collection of matter, usually gasses, like hydrogen.

Star Trek ships are capable of collecting their own hydrogen.

Now. High Test or Premium? Leaded or Unleaded? Full service? Windows washed?

Change the oil and kick the Warshawski tires.

Its properties, of being the least dense gas known, and more importantly its non polar characteristics would make it easy for a technologically advanced species to target and collect it from surrounding space, assisted by the polar nature and higher density of most other known elemental gases.

Where was my niece when this discussion was raging. She was combing On Basilisk Station for other textev in an ongoing discussion with her friends when she came upon this little jewel that supports my post early on in this thread.

Tierney wrote:Hi Uncle,
I remember a discussion you had with your visiting friends around Christmas about hydrogen mining in the Honorverse. I also remember you having a difficult time getting your points across in the forum. I came across this gem of a supporting post for you. Now if I can just find what I need. It's from Ch. 24 of OBS.

------
There were limits to the amount of reaction mass a ship could carry, and hydrogen catcher fields didn't work in the extreme conditions of hyper-space. That had effectively limited ships to the very lowest (and "slowest") hyper bands, since no one could carry enough reaction mass to recover velocity after multiple translations. It also explained why more stubborn inventors had persisted in their costly efforts to translate at higher velocities in order to maintain as much starting velocity in hyper-space as possible. It had taken over two hundred years for the .3 c limitation to be fully accepted, and even today, some hyper physicists continued to search for a way around it.
------

I think the hydrogen catcher fields support what your rock was cooking. :lol:

Bye now,
-Tierney

Indeed they do! The non-polar characteristics would make it a piece of cake to target and collect it from surrounding space. As textev now supports.

Put those same hydrogen catcher fields inside of any available gas nebulas, and voilà, the Kuwaits of the Honorverse!

Thank you, Tierney!
:D

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by SWM   » Tue May 26, 2015 4:05 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Where was my niece when this discussion was raging. She was combing On Basilisk Station for other textev in an ongoing discussion with her friends when she came upon this little jewel that supports my post early on in this thread.

I remember a discussion you had with your visiting friends around Christmas about hydrogen mining in the Honorverse. I also remember you having a difficult time getting your points across in the forum. I came across this gem of a supporting post for you. Now if I can just find what I need. It's from Ch. 24 of OBS.

------
There were limits to the amount of reaction mass a ship could carry, and hydrogen catcher fields didn't work in the extreme conditions of hyper-space. That had effectively limited ships to the very lowest (and "slowest") hyper bands, since no one could carry enough reaction mass to recover velocity after multiple translations. It also explained why more stubborn inventors had persisted in their costly efforts to translate at higher velocities in order to maintain as much starting velocity in hyper-space as possible. It had taken over two hundred years for the .3 c limitation to be fully accepted, and even today, some hyper physicists continued to search for a way around it.
------

Bye now,
-Tierney

Indeed they do! The non-polar characteristics would make it a piece of cake to target and collect it from surrounding space. As textev now supports.

Put those same hydrogen catcher fields inside of any available gas nebulas, and voilà, the Kuwaits of the Honorverse!

Thank you, Tierney!

Cthia,

Everyone in the discussion agreed that Honorverse ships were getting hydrogen. We even agreed that it could be gathered from space in hydrogen catchers. The argument against your "Kuwait of space" idea is that they could get sufficient hydrogen everywhere. Hydrogen is so plentiful and widespread that no system could possibly make it cheap enough to undercut the prices in other systems.

No one is going to go out of their way to pick up hydrogen in your Space Kuwait when they can get it just as cheaply in the local system. No one is going to import hydrogen if they can get it just as cheaply in the local system.

Yes, a dense nebula would be a great place to pick up hydrogen. But so is a gas giant, or an ice planet, or a comet. And gas giants, ice planets, and comets are everywhere. One system might be able to produce hydrogen slightly cheaper than their neighbors, but when you add in the cost of getting to that cheaper system, you don't gain anything.

Hydrogen is everywhere. It's cheap. In fact, the cite your niece points out just shows how cheap it is--ships can refuel wherever they are in normal space just by extending catcher fields, whether or not they are in a nebula. It's like selling seawater to an ocean liner. No one needs to go to Space Kuwait to get hydrogen fuel, and Space Kuwait won't be able to export hydrogen because everyone already has more than they need. Everyone is a Space Kuwait, and if a ship doesn't want to pay for the convenience of fueling while at a station, they can collect their own hydrogen essentially for free.
Post by cthia   » Tue May 26, 2015 5:26 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Where was my niece when this discussion was raging. She was combing On Basilisk Station for other textev in an ongoing discussion with her friends when she came upon this little jewel that supports my post early on in this thread.

------
------

Bye now,
-Tierney

Put those same hydrogen catcher fields inside of any available (gas) nebulas, and voilà, the Kuwaits of the Honorverse!

Thank you, Tierney!

SWM wrote:Cthia,

Everyone in the discussion agreed that Honorverse ships were getting hydrogen. We even agreed that it could be gathered from space in hydrogen catchers. The argument against your "Kuwait of space" idea is that they could get sufficient hydrogen everywhere. Hydrogen is so plentiful and widespread that no system could possibly make it cheap enough to undercut the prices in other systems.

No one is going to go out of their way to pick up hydrogen in your Space Kuwait when they can get it just as cheaply in the local system. No one is going to import hydrogen if they can get it just as cheaply in the local system.

Yes, a dense nebula would be a great place to pick up hydrogen. But so is a gas giant, or an ice planet, or a comet. And gas giants, ice planets, and comets are everywhere. One system might be able to produce hydrogen slightly cheaper than their neighbors, but when you add in the cost of getting to that cheaper system, you don't gain anything.

Hydrogen is everywhere. It's cheap. In fact, the cite your niece points out just shows how cheap it is--ships can refuel wherever they are in normal space just by extending catcher fields, whether or not they are in a nebula. It's like selling seawater to an ocean liner. No one needs to go to Space Kuwait to get hydrogen fuel, and Space Kuwait won't be able to export hydrogen because everyone already has more than they need. Everyone is a Space Kuwait, and if a ship doesn't want to pay for the convenience of fueling while at a station, they can collect their own hydrogen essentially for free.

If you look at that referenced post of mine, my very first post of the thread, you'll see that my position was that hydrogen could easily be gathered from surrounding space. There are many posters who disagreed with that - stating that the density of hydrogen in surrounding space would not permit that.

The notion of a Kuwait of the Honorverse was a completely separate notion, because of any available (gas) nebulas, such as NGC-604 which is a dense region of hydrogen. In fact, there is at least one poster who claimed that the density of hydrogen in any available nebula would also be too low.

That led everyone to a discussion about gathering hydrogen from gas giants, planets, cometary ices, etc. My argument was/is against that because it represents too much conversion time and man hours. Not to mention it is silly when hydrogen was all around space. Remember my sentiment, "Why go to the trouble of melting ice on planets to get water if you're standing in it?" Or in our case, flying around in it.

And you continue to want to make it about money regarding the notion of "Kuwaits." Again, it isn't. It is more about convenience. It is about systems that may have an over abundance of hydrogen that may be more practical to refuel ships quickly -- when time is of the essence, such as for the League, when they are about to travel great distances to Manticore on a time schedule and need to refuel several hundred or thousand ships.

Hydrogen catcher fields are probably time constrained and are probably only practical for single ships. I would expect that hydrogen catcher fields relegate ships to sit in orbit/space for days or many hours to top off reservoirs. My guess. The point is, hydrogen fill stations are going to be much more practical to quickly top off several hundred or several thousand ships. PRONTO.

Besides, the post was mostly meant for the edification of a few that disagreed regarding collecting hydrogen from surrounding space and might would appreciate the supporting textev. And for any newcomers stumbling onto the thread.

At any rate, supplying the supporting textev is considerate. And it was lacking from the thread.

Post by SWM   » Tue May 26, 2015 7:05 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:If you look at that referenced post of mine, my very first post of the thread, you'll see that my position was that hydrogen could easily be gathered from surrounding space. There are many posters who disagreed with that - stating that the density of hydrogen in surrounding space would not permit that.

The notion of a Kuwait of the Honorverse was a completely separate notion, because of any available (gas) nebulas, such as NGC-604 which is a dense region of hydrogen. In fact, there is at least one poster who claimed that the density of hydrogen in any available nebula would be too low.

That led everyone to a discussion about gathering hydrogen from gas giants, planets, etc. My argument was/is against that because it represented too much conversion time and man hours. Not to mention it was silly when hydrogen was all about space. Remember my sentiment, "Why go to the trouble of melting ice on planets to get water if you're standing in it?" Or in our case, flying around in it.

And you continue to want to make it about money regarding the notion of "Kuwaits." Again, it isn't. It was about systems that may have an over abundance of hydrogen that may be more practical to refuel ships quickly -- when time is of the essence, such as for the League, when they are about to travel great distances to Manticore on a time schedule and need to refuel several hundred or thousand ships.

Hydrogen catcher fields are probably time constrained and are probably only practical for single ships. I would expect that hydrogen catcher fields relegate ships to sit in orbit/space for days or many hours to top off reservoirs. My guess. The point is, hydrogen fill stations are going to be much more practical to quickly top off several hundred or several thousand ships. PRONTO.

Besides, the post was mostly meant for the edification of a few that disagreed regarding collecting hydrogen from surrounding space and might would appreciate the supporting textev.

And for any newcomers stumbling onto the thread. At any rate, supplying the supporting textev is considerate. And it was lacking from the thread.

Well, technically, you weren't the first person in the thread to say that hydrogen could be collected from space--I was. :) As far as I can tell, no one disagreed that hydrogen could be collected from space. It's just that it is even easier to do it from ice, which is plentiful in any planetary system. The hydrogen found on a comet is 10,000,000,000,000,000 times denser than the core of a giant molecular cloud or Bok globule, the densest kinds of nebulae.
Post by cthia   » Tue May 26, 2015 8:30 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:
cthia wrote:
If you look at that referenced post of mine, my very first post of the thread, you'll see that my position was that hydrogen could easily be gathered from surrounding space. There are many posters who disagreed with that - stating that the density of hydrogen in surrounding space would not permit that.

The notion of a Kuwait of the Honorverse was a completely separate notion, because of any available (gas) nebulas, such as NGC-604 which is a dense region of hydrogen. In fact, there is at least one poster who claimed that the density of hydrogen in any available nebula would be too low.

That led everyone to a discussion about gathering hydrogen from gas giants, planets, etc. My argument was/is against that because it represented too much conversion time and man hours. Not to mention it was silly when hydrogen was all about space. Remember my sentiment, "Why go to the trouble of melting ice on planets to get water if you're standing in it?" Or in our case, flying around in it.

And you continue to want to make it about money regarding the notion of "Kuwaits." Again, it isn't. It was about systems that may have an over abundance of hydrogen that may be more practical to refuel ships quickly -- when time is of the essence, such as for the League, when they are about to travel great distances to Manticore on a time schedule and need to refuel several hundred or thousand ships.

Besides, the post was mostly meant for the edification of a few that disagreed regarding collecting hydrogen from surrounding space and might would appreciate the supporting textev.

And for any newcomers stumbling onto the thread. At any rate, supplying the supporting textev is considerate. And it was lacking from the thread.

Well, technically, you weren't the first person in the thread to say that hydrogen could be collected from space--I was. :) As far as I can tell, no one disagreed that hydrogen could be collected from space. It's just that it is even easier to do it from ice, which is plentiful in any planetary system. The hydrogen found on a comet is 10,000,000,000,000,000 times denser than the core of a giant molecular cloud or Bok globule, the densest kinds of nebulae.

I wasn't claiming to be the first to land on that Plymouth rock. I was simply pointing out that it was my main proposal from the beginning. And I never abandoned it. There was no need to. I was/am absolutely confident in surrounding space as a hydrogen source.

You did suggest the possibility first but you didn't show much confidence in it. You spirited collecting from cometary ices and planets because it was 10,000 times more dense than a molecular cloud and thusly far more denser than surrounding space. In other words, you suggested it to be possible but you then proceeded to argue that it wasn't probable. Textev is also of benefit to you it seems.
SWM wrote:swm wrote:
A nebula is extremely low density--and the interplanetary medium is ten thousand times less dense than a molecular cloud. If you tried collecting 1 ton of hydrogen from the very densest molecular cloud in the galaxy, you would have to collect 670 million cubic kilometers of nebula--a cube 875 kilometers wide. In contrast, to get 1 ton of hydrogen from the 1-bar level of Neptune, for instance, you would need to collect 3500 cubic meters of atmosphere. And to get 1 ton of hydrogen from cometary ice, you would only have to mine less than two cubic meters!

And yes, several disagreed. Go through the posts if you need confirmation. They jumped on your denseness of hydrogen molecules in compared mediums bandwagon with you.

But textev, regarding the Honorverse anyways, clearly states that surrounding space is the source used.

Again.
Collection from planetary and cometary ice sources would suffer lagging production compared to surrounding space, from the many man hours required in the collection and the further time lost in the often overlooked 'conversion and filtering' process. The same often overlooked process regarding the complaints about municipalities, such as LA, suffering water shortages that are sitting right on the coast! See appropriate post. I've cued the link to begin with my appropriate post.

You keep making the same mistake as people that used to complain to me when I was fresh out of college working as an Engineer at a water department. "Why is there a water shortage when the city is on the ocean?" And collecting water from water should be laughably easier than collecting hydrogen from cometary ices and planets. Yet there are water shortages in LA all of the time. Even when the source (Ocean) is literally beating against the back door of the plants! It's the conversion process! Surrounding space facilities would eliminate the time lost in the collection. And totally eliminate the time lost from the constrained conversion processes. In fact, the non-polar characteristics of hydrogen (only) would assist systems to easily target it. Hydrogen would race to the collectors!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6589&start=61

Some of the skeptic's posts...
As you have unbreakable force fields and tractor rays, mining for hydrogen the local star comes to mind as the practically inexhaustible alternative.

Mining a profound vacuum is unlikely to be useful in most cases. Unless you need a hydrogen supply right there in the vacuum.

Or to put it another way, if the density of hydrogen in a nebula is sufficiently large to justify mining it, it has already coalesced into a star.

I am sure there are a few others, but I'm confident in your ability to find them if you need.

Post by SWM   » Tue May 26, 2015 9:55 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:You did suggest the possibility first but you didn't show much confidence in it. You spirited collecting from cometary ices and planets because it was 10,000 times more dense than a molecular cloud and thusly far more denser than surrounding space. In other words, you suggested it to be possible but you then proceeded to argue that it wasn't probable. Textev is also of benefit to you it seems.

Ice is not 10,000 times denser than a molecular cloud. That is the ratio between a molecular cloud and the interplanetary medium. The ratio between the hydrogen densities of a molecular cloud and ice is 10,000,000,000,000,000. Quite a few orders of magnitude larger. It makes a big difference.

But textev, regarding the Honorverse anyways, clearly states that surrounding space is the source used.

Actually, what the text says is that gas catchers can be used to gather hydrogen from space if a ship doesn't have other sources. And it says that they used to do it at a time when ships did not have impellers, and had to use fusion rockets for propulsion (and lots of hydrogen!), and interstellar travel took months or years without any opportunity for refueling at a star system.

The text does not say that this was the primary or preferred source of hydrogen even back then. Nor does it say that gas catchers are still used, though I'm certain that they are used in some circumstances. At the very least, I'm sure ships have that capability as a backup.

The text certainly does not say that "surrounding space is the source used." I argue that it has always been a secondary or tertiary source, a solution when you were nowhere near a better source like a cometary system or ice planet and are desperate to refuel. That certainly would describe those old hydrogen-hog fusion-drive ships six months from any star system with a fueling station.

Again.
Collection from planetary and cometary ice sources would suffer lagging production compared to surrounding space, from the many man hours required in the collection and the further time lost in the often overlooked 'conversion and filtering' process. The same often overlooked process regarding the complaints about municipalities, such as LA, suffering water shortages that are sitting right on the coast! See appropriate post. I've cued the link to begin with my appropriate post.

You keep making the same mistake as people that used to complain to me when I was fresh out of college working as an Engineer at a water department. "Why is there a water shortage when the city is on the ocean?" And collecting water from water should be laughably easier than collecting hydrogen from cometary ices and planets. Yet there are water shortages in LA all of the time. Even when the source (Ocean) is literally beating against the back door of the plants! It's the conversion process! Surrounding space facilities would eliminate the time lost in the collection. And totally eliminate the time lost from the constrained conversion processes. In fact, the non-polar characteristics of hydrogen (only) would assist systems to easily target it. Hydrogen would race to the collectors!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6589&start=61

I'm not sure why you are harping on the non-polar characteristics of hydrogen. Molecular hydrogen is not the only non-polar molecule--it is only the lightest non-polar molecule. And most of the hydrogen and other atoms in a nebula will not be in a molecular form--it will be ionized, so polarity is irrelevant. The easiest way to separate the hydrogen from other atoms in a molecular cloud is to ionize all of it and separate by mass/charge ratio.

And that is also the easiest way to separate the hydrogen in ice, when you have the technology of the Honorverse. So the separation mechanism is similar, but the mechanism for gathering the material is much cheaper on a comet. I say it takes fewer man-hours to gather a ton of hydrogen from ice than it takes to gather a ton from nebular gas, and ice can be done with cheaper equipment.

Some of the skeptic's posts...
As you have unbreakable force fields and tractor rays, mining for hydrogen the local star comes to mind as the practically inexhaustible alternative.

Mining a profound vacuum is unlikely to be useful in most cases. Unless you need a hydrogen supply right there in the vacuum.

Or to put it another way, if the density of hydrogen in a nebula is sufficiently large to justify mining it, it has already coalesced into a star.

I am sure there are a few others, but I'm confident in your ability to find them if you need.

I frankly don't see the problem in these posts. All of those boil down to exactly what I said--that there are better sources available than interstellar space. Those posts are all talking about mining clouds on a large scale such as you have suggested, and saying that it is not efficient enough to compete with sources inside a planetary system. The text about gas catchers only talks about using them to refuel in-flight, between systems. None of those posts say that is impossible--in fact, one of them specifically notes that it might be useful if you needed fuel out there. So I don't see any contradiction to what I said.

The argument has always been that collecting hydrogen from a molecular cloud doesn't make sense compared to other sources. If there is no other source, as in those old fusion-drive ships in the middle of nowhere, you use what you can get.
Post by wastedfly   » Tue May 26, 2015 10:25 pm

wastedfly
Commodore

Uh, you do not give a hoot how dirty the "ice" is. It can be loaded up with as much dirt as you want. When heated slightly in a vacuum or near vacuum, the water vapor will instantly turn to vapor leaving contaminant behind. Even if one then electrically dissociates said vapor into H2 and O, we are talking miniscule energy.

A catcher field would have to be multitudes of kilometer in area traveling at a good percent of c, to catch enough hydrogen. All that bombardment from the hydrogen is gonna leave a dent, making said "catcher" mighty expensive in said nebula. Then add the matching velocity energy required for a ship to collect from station and take it back to inhabited planets where people reside and freighters show up.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue May 26, 2015 11:16 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

wastedfly wrote:A catcher field would have to be multitudes of kilometer in area traveling at a good percent of c, to catch enough hydrogen. All that bombardment from the hydrogen is gonna leave a dent, making said "catcher" mighty expensive in said nebula. Then add the matching velocity energy required for a ship to collect from station and take it back to inhabited planets where people reside and freighters show up.

I tried to do a ballpark estimate of what a ship might gather en-route from a planet to the hyper limit, using numbers plucked from google searches. (and since by text-ev the catcher fields don't work in hyper, your short n-space journey is all the time you have to scavenge)

The number I had for the density of the interplanetary medium is 5 particles / cm^3. For simplicity lets assume they're all hydrogen. And for lack of anything better I used the facial opening of a wedge (190 km x 300 km) as the size of a catcher field. I used a 24 lm hyper limit as a 1 AU planet; for about 282 million km between them; totaling 1.6*10^13 km^3 swept.

Every single particle of interplanetary medium in that vast volume (assuming I didn't totally screw my math up) comes to about 134 kg of hydrogen.
In comparison the hydrogen tank for the Space Shuttle held 106,261 kg of hydrogen.

Doesn't seem worth it if you can tank up at a station that was supplied from a much denser source (water, gas giant, etc). But if you're a pre-impeller ship and need to build up speed before jumping into the Alpha bands you don't have much choice, with reaction rockets you can't practically bring enough fuel to reach relativistic speeds so you're stuck with a very long n-space acceleration phase.

Return to Honorverse