Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 157 guests

Names: Which Do You Most Like?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Names: Which Do You Most Like?
Post by cthia   » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:27 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Solange Winton.

Solange Winton, née Chabala, was a Manticoran citizen and Queen Consort of King Roger II.

Solange Chabala was born a commoner. She later married King Roger II and became the mother of Crown Princess Adrienne, the later Queen Adrienne. Although a plain-looking woman, sometimes called the "poor little beggar maid" by members of the nobility, she won the hearts of the common people of the Star Kingdom by storm.

Queen Solange was killed when the inertial compensator of the royal yacht, HMS Queen Elizabeth I, failed as the result of sabotage. Her loss was greatly mourned in all of Manticore, and the King's inability to cope with it drove a rift between him and his daughter that took years to heal. (HHA2.2: WPD)

I cannot believe they called her the "poor little beggar maid."

Her name rings of an African Queen.

Vince wrote:Note: Manticoran society gossip referred to Angelique Adcock (married King Roger III) as the "Poor Little Beggar Maid", per House of Steel.

What Price Dreams does not refer to Queen Solange as the "poor little beggar maid."

I think you may be mixing up Queen Consort Angelique with Queen Consort Solange, who married King Roger III and II, respectively. Both were from Gryphon in the Star Kingdom, Solange being born as a yeoman there, Angelique was an immigrant from the Maslow system who settled there.

OOPS. Thanks Vince ...again!

Arabella Allison Wainright Mayhew was a Grayson citizen and the eighth child of Protector Benjamin IX.

She was born to Katherine, the Protector's senior wife, in 1916-17 PD.[1] (HH11)

Wow, makes one wonder about the mysteries in store dating a girl named, Arabella.

What nickname would this default to, hmmm ...

Bella?
Air?
Ara?
Arab? (gasp)
Arabell?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:54 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote:
Arabella Allison Wainright Mayhew was a Grayson citizen and the eighth child of Protector Benjamin IX.

She was born to Katherine, the Protector's senior wife, in 1916-17 PD.[1] (HH11)

Wow, makes one wonder about the mysteries in store dating a girl named, Arabella.

What nickname would this default to, hmmm ...

Bella?
Air?
Ara?
Arab? (gasp)
Arabell?

Probably Ally. She might well decide to use one of her middle names. She might prefer that to being called "Air Ball"
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by roseandheather   » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:21 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:Probably Ally. She might well decide to use one of her middle names. She might prefer that to being called "Air Ball"

Besides, it's a nice nod to Allison "Alley" Chou Harrington, who is almost certainly Arabella's namesake. :D
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by stewart   » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:33 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:I must really like Nimitz, because my dog's name is Nena, and I keep calling her Nimitz.

She just gives me this look of a thousand words condensed down to "you can call me anything you like, he who buys me T-bones."

---------------------

Sound's like "You can call me what you want, just don't call me 'Late for Dinner' "

-- Stewart
Post by stewart   » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:40 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:I like Alice Truman, but more for her last name. Alice is okay, but it evokes a wonderland.

----------------

I am sure Harry and Bess Truman would agree with you if they were still around....

-- Stewart
Post by Lord Skimper   » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:00 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Lester Tourville Although I always think of Johnny Cash with a cigar and a French accent.

And of Course Firebrand.

And the Haven foreign minister who changed all the correspondence.

Return to Honorverse