Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 37 guests

Montana Beef, it's whats for dinner

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Montana Beef, it's whats for dinner
Post by lelder5   » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:27 pm

lelder5
Ensign

With the Honorverse winding down and no new books scheduled for the next year or so there has been some speculation as to directions for the next book. I'm hoping for a magnum opis with more that 4-500 pages and a lot of sub-plots. Nothing new there. One sub-plot might include S. Westman, a colonel in the new guard, sent to stabilize things in the mountains of a certain planet. Another might include S. Tremaine and the chief off to settle things with Max and Indy elsewhere. The bulk of speculation seems to start the next book with Mike @ Mesa, and I think that will be one of the major plot-lines either coming in behind the Andies or before, but the battle of Beowulf will also be front and center, both political and martial.
Re: Montana Beef, it's whats for dinner
Post by SharkHunter   » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:16 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

lelder5 wrote:With the Honorverse winding down and no new books scheduled for the next year or so there has been some speculation as to directions for the next book. I'm hoping for a magnum opis with more that 4-500 pages and a lot of sub-plots. Nothing new there. One sub-plot might include S. Westman, a colonel in the new guard, sent to stabilize things in the mountains of a certain planet. Another might include S. Tremaine and the chief off to settle things with Max and Indy elsewhere. The bulk of speculation seems to start the next book with Mike @ Mesa, and I think that will be one of the major plot-lines either coming in behind the Andies or before, but the battle of Beowulf will also be front and center, both political and martial.

Now them be fighting words, gonna get S. Westman in trouble with L. Rozak in no time 't all. For the gourmands in the SL Unifarce, says he, you need mayacow, "locally evolved critters that looked sort of like an undersized brontosaurus crossed with a llama". Besides, with mayacow you get omelettes as well.

More serious... if past history is any evidence, there's likely two books coming in the next time frame, a Weber/Flint book following our superspies and the genetic slavery revolution, galactic intrigue, etc., and a pure Weber book at the galactico-political and fleet battle level, leaving mostly the question as to "where do the big battles take place"? and how much further down the plot line do both books go.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by drothgery   » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:04 pm

drothgery
Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:More serious... if past history is any evidence, there's likely two books coming in the next time frame, a Weber/Flint book following our superspies and the genetic slavery revolution, galactic intrigue, etc., and a pure Weber book at the galactico-political and fleet battle level, leaving mostly the question as to "where do the big battles take place"? and how much further down the plot line do both books go.
Cauldron of Ghosts was the last Weber/Flint Honorverse book for the foreseeable future. Coordinating schedules has been really difficult for David and Eric (hence the still missing 163x book after 1634: The Baltic War that was supposed to happen).
Post by SharkHunter   » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:26 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

drothgery wrote:Cauldron of Ghosts was the last Weber/Flint Honorverse book for the foreseeable future. Coordinating schedules has been really difficult for David and Eric (hence the still missing 163x book after 1634: The Baltic War that was supposed to happen).

Ahh man, very unyummy! I liked the Flint-flavored spicy appetizers and entres with my Honorverse main course.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by dreamrider   » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:30 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

lelder5 wrote:With the Honorverse winding down and no new books scheduled for the next year or so there has been some speculation as to directions for the next book. I'm hoping for a magnum opis with more that 4-500 pages and a lot of sub-plots. Nothing new there. One sub-plot might include S. Westman, a colonel in the new guard, sent to stabilize things in the mountains of a certain planet. Another might include S. Tremaine and the chief off to settle things with Max and Indy elsewhere. The bulk of speculation seems to start the next book with Mike @ Mesa, and I think that will be one of the major plot-lines either coming in behind the Andies or before, but the battle of Beowulf will also be front and center, both political and martial.

Mike arrives well before. It's been figured out elsewhere. Michelle beats the Hertzog by 3 to 8 weeks, even if the Andies are moving things fast.

Besides, last scene of CoG pretty much tells us that Acting Grand Admiral Alexander-Hamilton essentially believes Michelle will be the first major friendly force arriving Mesa - and she has the info and resources to know.
Post by ErikM   » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:34 am

ErikM
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I'd like to see a short story (or more ...) on the amazons and scrags. Say that a small group of amazons goes hunting down their scrag brethren in hopes of recruiting them for Torch. To me it has lots of potential for violence, low humor and even some skullduggery.
Post by Hutch   » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:36 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

dreamrider wrote: Mike arrives well before. It's been figured out elsewhere. Michelle beats the Hertzog by 3 to 8 weeks, even if the Andies are moving things fast.

Besides, last scene of CoG pretty much tells us that Acting Grand Admiral Alexander-Hamilton essentially believes Michelle will be the first major friendly force arriving Mesa - and she has the info and resources to know.

Who's this Hamilton person, anyway? :D 8-)

In regards to the OP, I still think a trilogy would be better.

Book 1 is the Fall of the Solarian League, the Beginnings of the Search for the MAlignment and the beginnings of the RF.

Book 2 is the "MAlignment Strikes Back", where these new 'invincible' ships show up and the RF declares itself, with various disasters and deaths afflicting Our Heroes.

And of course Book 3 is the discovery and defeat of the MAlignment/RF foe and the Triumph of Truth and Justice.

And yes, if that sounds suspiciously like several other trilogies, well,that's because that sort of storyline has been a winner since Oog the Cro-Magnon explained the adventures of his last hunt to his family around the campfire....
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Hutch   » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:45 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

ErikM wrote:I'd like to see a short story (or more ...) on the amazons and scrags. Say that a small group of amazons goes hunting down their scrag brethren in hopes of recruiting them for Torch. To me it has lots of potential for violence, low humor and even some skullduggery.

Unfortunately, unless the MWW has more anthologies planned (possible) or he opens the Honorverse to "Ring of Fire" levels (about as likely as me inventing viable fusion plants), that may be a story that we'll just have to infer, I am afraid.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by SharkHunter   » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:58 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Hutch wrote:
ErikM wrote:I'd like to see a short story (or more ...) on the amazons and scrags. Say that a small group of amazons goes hunting down their scrag brethren in hopes of recruiting them for Torch. To me it has lots of potential for violence, low humor and even some skullduggery.

Unfortunately, unless the MWW has more anthologies planned (possible) or he opens the Honorverse to "Ring of Fire" levels (about as likely as me inventing viable fusion plants), that may be a story that we'll just have to infer, I am afraid.

I was just reading a bit about that, and while I don't think David would open it to Ring of Fire levels, I'm really hoping that Baen/RFC would open it up "a little more". Not holding out much hope though, even though I have a great novella or maybe even a novel in mind that ought to fit nicely between the storylines post CoG, etc. Maybe when he pronounces his parts done.
---------------------
Post by Hutch   » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:16 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Hutch wrote:Unfortunately, unless the MWW has more anthologies planned (possible) or he opens the Honorverse to "Ring of Fire" levels (about as likely as me inventing viable fusion plants), that may be a story that we'll just have to infer, I am afraid.

SharkHunter wrote:I was just reading a bit about that, and while I don't think David would open it to Ring of Fire levels, I'm really hoping that Baen/RFC would open it up "a little more". Not holding out much hope though, even though I have a great novella or maybe even a novel in mind that ought to fit nicely between the storylines post CoG, etc. Maybe when he pronounces his parts done.

We shall see. Of course, there is Always The Website That Must Not Be Named....

Return to Honorverse