Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S and 151 guests

Snoop ships... vs. the MA.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Snoop ships... vs. the MA.
Post by SharkHunter   » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:50 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

kzt wrote:
SharkHunter wrote:They bring their intel back to either the CoG fellows, Tenth Fleet, or Patricia Givens in ONI who correlates the findings and formulates plans. Or a commodorish type in the area gets dispatched to investigate.

No, the entire ship disappears and the crew is interrogated and disposed of. Pirates, you know. Hope they didn't know anything or have any records you could use to roll up their network.

If they happen to arrive at and start to ask questions at an MAlign world right off yeah, buh-bye ship, but the MAlign worlds are apparently less than 1% of the total. It would take a ghost-in-the-machine for our spies to find the MA right off, and thus far, Mr. RFC has avoided that.

In the SL, there's no evidence that the new ships are pirates, just that those dang neobarbs won't leave us "poor former honest Silesian merchants alone -- because everyone knows that honest and Silesia are antonymous.

Besides, do you have any evidence that the remaining 98% of the systems and their sector governors(s) and Verge bosses are all that interested in anything besides business as usual including with newly arriving but very old ships that can move freight and might be bribe-able to do other discreet things?
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Re: Snoop ships of another kind
Post by DDHvi   » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:50 pm

DDHvi
Captain (Junior Grade)

Given the pace of technical surprises, it is amazing that the following has not been done AFAIK:

Take some courier ships and equip them with sensitive antennae. When a military force comes into an enemy system from hyperspace, have said ship(s) stay outside the hyper limit, as dormant as possible, but listening. Have an arrangement for some or all of the ships in the actual attack force send whisker laser reports to the known position of said "snoop" ship. In case of disaster, it can still escape with the information. This would produce a large decrease in repeatable surprises.
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd
ddhviste@drtel.net

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!
Post by Duckk   » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:43 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

In any system worth defending, there are already picket destroyers and light cruisers parked at the hyper limit and beyond. Standard operating procedure is to lie doggo and observe if they're unable to join up with defenders, and they are expected to flee if the system falls. See FIE and IEH for examples.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Mitchell, Esq.   » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:02 pm

Mitchell, Esq.
Commodore

I would already have numerous shady crews on the payroll under false flag recruitments.

I wouldn't want to create a new network on the fly, I'd re-check my established, reliable but seldom contacted dirtbags who think they are working as off the books problem solvers for an earth based company with ties to arms dealing of 'less that used' SLN 'pre-surplus' weapons to various 'liberations movements'...
Post by JohnRoth   » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:58 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

How about borrowing a lick from Christopher Anvil (only the first sentence). Of course, someone else may have said effectively the same thing earlier:

We are here to arrest Albrecht Detweiller and the other members of the inner core of the Mesan Alignment to try them for crimes against humanity. If you yield them to us, nobody needs to get hurt. If you don't, may God have mercy on your souls, for I most assuredly will not.

Return to Honorverse