Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 108 guests

Fencing and Honorverse do they go together?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Fencing and Honorverse do they go together?
Post by BrigadeΔ   » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:26 pm

BrigadeΔ
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Sports wise I do only 2 crew and fencing with my favorite being fencing. How many of the rest of you fence, and if so which weapon? I personally am an épéeist and avoid foil if possible (to many rules) but still am I alone in that here?
Note; it took under a minute for me to realize I had spelled together with an A instead of the E in my title, thanks disgraphia
Re: Fencing and Honorverse do they go togather?
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:30 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

BrigadeΔ wrote:Sports wise I do only 2 crew and fencing with my favorite being fencing. How many of the rest of you fence, and if so which weapon? I personally am an épéeist and avoid foil if possible (to many rules) but still am I alone in that here?

I played water polo in college, and racquetball in my mid years. Today I am a lot more sedentary.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
"Never Bring A Knife To A Gun Fight" ...
Post by HB of CJ   » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:12 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

I do not understand fully how Honor defeated the best blade mans on Grayson while she herself was beat up and injured. But she did and quickly also.

She also seemed to have little formal training and experience sword fighting. Edged weapons give me the willies. No thank you. I will stick to guns.

I think Honor does OK with a 1911. I know nothing about fencing. I know a little more about shooting. HB of CJ (old coot) Cm. I love this Forum!
Re: "Never Bring A Knife To A Gun Fight" ...
Post by BrigadeΔ   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:06 am

BrigadeΔ

HB of CJ wrote:I do not understand fully how Honor defeated the best blade mans on Grayson while she herself was beat up and injured. But she did and quickly also.

She also seemed to have little formal training and experience sword fighting. Edged weapons give me the willies. No thank you. I will stick to guns.

I think Honor does OK with a 1911. I know nothing about fencing. I know a little more about shooting. HB of CJ (old coot) Cm. I love this Forum!

It may have something to do with fencing style, I can beat some people who are better then me as I have a rather unusual fencing style and it is hard to adapt to. My own theory is that Steadholder Burdette was not used to fighting to the death and Honor was (also 25% higher muscle mass and other Meyerdahl Beta advantages may have played a part as well) also Nimitz was nearby so she could read his emotions, now if I could only do that it would be useful in fencing or darn near anything else.
Post by crewdude48   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:42 am

crewdude48
Commodore

BrigadeΔ wrote:It may have something to do with fencing style, I can beat some people who are better then me as I have a rather unusual fencing style and it is hard to adapt to.

I think the old saying goes something like; "The best swordsman in the world does not worry about the second best. He fears the the worst swordsman in the world, because he can never tell what that idiot will do."
Post by Festival   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:13 am

Festival

I've done a bit of sport fencing in the fairly distant past. My main thrust (see what I did there?) is historical fencing: HEMA, etc...about three decades worth. I mostly do smallsword and rapier, but have fairly recently taken up Hutton and Radaelli saber.
Post by Festival   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:31 am

Festival

HB of CJ wrote:I do not understand fully how Honor defeated the best blade mans on Grayson while she herself was beat up and injured. But she did and quickly also.

Quickly would have been the only way she likely could have done so. In a longer fight, significantly greater mastery of technique and greater experience (even at sparring, not real fighting) would almost certainly prevail. The relative noob is going to either make a mistake first or (more likely) be led into one by the better swordsman.

But a better swordfighter can still get burned by pure speed. There are lots of ways to counter an opponent that's speedier than you are...but would Burdette have had reason to know he needed to do so? Possibly not. Tall and athletic as she is, he very possibly might have refused to consider a mere woman would be in any way physically superior.

Oops (to coin a phrase).

Sometimes, even when you know it's coming, a really fast attack can beat you. And in a real fight, you're not losing a point, you're getting a sharp piece of steel stuck in you.
Re: Fencing and Honorverse do they go together?
Post by Annachie   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:26 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Also, I suspect that the whole staredown thing made Burdett realise the he was just a swordsman but that she is a killer.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Michael Everett   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:48 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

A while back, Temmie provided us with quite a deep insight on swordfighting which can be found here.

Annachie wrote:Also, I suspect that the whole staredown thing made Burdett realise the he was just a swordsman but that she is a killer.

I disagree. According to the text, Burdette realised that something wasn't going as he had planned, but he was so self-assured that he simply assumed that his skill would let him carry the day.

I think he only realized his mistake as his severed head was falling to the ground, and even that would only be a brief realization...
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Annachie   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:46 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

You're probably right on the thought processes. Haven't read the books in a while.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)

Return to Honorverse