Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 140 guests

What did Captain Zavala do next? and the SL's reaction.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: What did Captain Zavala do next? and the SL's reaction.
Post by stewart   » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:49 am

stewart
Captain of the List

Jonathan_S wrote:

Also, the Roland is probably carrying a lot more (proportionately) CMs than the Star Knights did. It mounts 77% the CM tubes(20 vs 26 CM tubes) on only 61% the tonnage (188,750 vs 305,250 tons). And it expects to be able to use 50%-100% of them against most missile salvos (single or double broadside); whereas the Star Knight never expected to use more than 8 at once (single broadside).

Given that higher utilization, plus the longer range of CMs now, and the higher missile threat level, it quite possibly carries at least as many CMs per tube as the old Star Knights.
So I'd guess that combo probably means a fair bit of internal volume is devoted to CM magazines - much more proportionately than on the CA Fearless. (But I admit not doing a text-ev search to see if it gives a number for CM's carried by Rolands. The SITS/Jaynes books say the Star Knight carried 1534 total; or 59 per tube)[/quote]

----------------

And keep in mind that the Star Knights were built under a "nominal" peace-time ecconomy and pre-war design concepts.
The Sag's (A/B/C) and the Rolands were built AFTER those design concepts were revised with Havenite I war experience.

-- Stewart
Re: What did Captain Zavala do next? and the SL's reaction.
Post by lyonheart   » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:01 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Stewart,

The 800 CM's at ~12.5 tons each would total some 10,0000 tons or almost 5.3% of the Roland's tonnage compared to the almost 6.3% of the Star Knight's 305 KT tonnage for the 1534 CM's cited, roughly the difference between 1/16 and 1/19 of their respective tonnages.

L

[quote="stewart"][quote="Jonathan_S"]

*quote**quote**quote*Also, the Roland is probably carrying a lot more (proportionately) CMs than the Star Knights did. It mounts 77% the CM tubes(20 vs 26 CM tubes) on only 61% the tonnage (188,750 vs 305,250 tons). And it expects to be able to use 50%-100% of them against most missile salvos (single or double broadside); whereas the Star Knight never expected to use more than 8 at once (single broadside).

Given that higher utilization, plus the longer range of CMs now, and the higher missile threat level, it quite possibly carries at least as many CMs per tube as the old Star Knights.
So I'd guess that combo probably means a fair bit of internal volume is devoted to CM magazines - much more proportionately than on the CA Fearless. (But I admit not doing a text-ev search to see if it gives a number for CM's carried by Rolands. The SITS/Jaynes books say the Star Knight carried 1534 total; or 59 per tube)*quote*

----------------

And keep in mind that the Star Knights were built under a "nominal" peace-time ecconomy and pre-war design concepts.
The Sag's (A/B/C) and the Rolands were built AFTER those design concepts were revised with Havenite I war experience.

-- Stewart*quote**quote**quote*
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!

Return to Honorverse