Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ThinksMarkedly and 152 guests

What did Captain Zavala do next? and the SL's reaction.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
What did Captain Zavala do next? and the SL's reaction.
Post by lyonheart   » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:48 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi all,

Captain Jacob Zavala in SoF, is another brilliant character like Terekhov, but I'm curious if any of you like me wondered what he did after recovering the freighter crews.

For example I think he called McNaughtan to notify him all his personnel had evacuated Shona Station so the damage repair crews could return to module 7 ASAP, as well as requesting all information on who, how many, and how often had visited the freighters in the absence of their crews for security purposes before starting the fusion plants etc and leaving the system.

That's besides getting hard copy records of the brig security videos of the Gendarme treatment of the freighter crews, or by hacking the Module 7 communication systems, indicating they didn't bother with any medical isolation protocols or treatment, as part of the confirmation of Zavala and the RMN's justification for using force to recover their illegally held citizens.

Searching the ships could have taken some hours [according to SoS] even if the search teams were much larger than Abbie had the first time, but even assuming it didn't, Captain Zavala would have been quite busy checking everything including his medical officers' checkups of the freighter crews, monitoring the SAR etc.

Once the freighters were cleared and underway, I believe he would have contacted Captain Myau to alert her she could re-board her ships in about 40 minutes and suggest that part of the problem that created the incident was a lack of hard information in Saltash, ie if Duenas had truly known what had happened in in Spindle he wouldn't have tried such foolishness, nor Admiral Dubroskaya agree to such stupidity; and provide her downloads of Spindle including the Sollie reporters', plus New Tuscany and even Monica, and letting her tech's confirm they weren't edited or falsified; and even offer her the option of sending a db or one of her DD's to Spindle with an introduction [safe passage] from him to confirm those reports.

Once those chores were done and before leaving the system, I'd expect him to make some kind of announcement to the planet Cinnamon, on all possible channels to reduce jamming etc, to reduce the likely panic and rumor mongering.

He might have tried something like this:

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'm Captain Jacob Zavala of the Royal Manticoran Navy.

I regret the unnecessary loss of life today because Governor Duenas unlawfully held Manticoran citizens from their freighters, which is an interstellar recognised act of piracy; despite claiming it was a medical emergency but didn't treat them or allow my doctors to review the claims as required by the Treaty of Beowulf, then he foolishly refused to believe I wouldn't carry out my orders to free them.

Admiral Dubroskaya and several thousand of her crewmen then lost their lives obeying his orders.

He again refused to order the gendarmes to release them from their brig, so my personnel had to go get them causing some damage to module 7 of Shona station, but Captain McNaughtan assures me all Saltash civilians were and are safe and normal traffic will resume within the hour.

Admiral Dubroskaya and thousands of her spacers died because too little is known about the Battle of Spindle, New Tuscany, and Monica here in Saltash; so let me rectify that now with more recent news.

Here are the official reports and protests by the SEM to Old Chicago of each incident, and by Solly reporters both during and after NT and Spindle; let your own tech's confirm these haven't been edited or faked.

Needless to say, compared to what happened in Spindle, today's SLN casualties are roughly 1% or a drop in the bucket, but unless the SLN learns it can't stand up to us, more are going to die the next time something like this happens, so this is my bid to alert the SLN about the true state of power between us, to stop wasting so many lives.

If Captain Myau doesn't send a ship, feel free to send a db or freighter. Confirming the truth should have been the first step before starting on a course that got so many people killed.

If the Solarian League in its ignorant arrogance continues to treat us like neo-barbs when we are closer to Sol than 99% of the league, the deadly results will only get worse, and again be entirely their fault.

Captain Zavala, clear."

Feel free to agree or rant at will. ;)

L
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Re: What did Captain Zavala do next? and the SL's reaction.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:58 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Hi all,

Captain Jacob Zavala in SoF, is another brilliant character like Terekhov, but I'm curious if any of you like me wondered what he did after recovering the freighter crews.

For example I think he called McNaughtan to notify him all his personnel had evacuated Shona Station so the damage repair crews could return to module 7 ASAP, as well as requesting all information on who, how many, and how often had visited the freighters in the absence of their crews for security purposes before starting the fusion plants etc and leaving the system.

That's besides getting hard copy records of the brig security videos of the Gendarme treatment of the freighter crews, or by hacking the Module 7 communication systems, indicating they didn't bother with any medical isolation protocols or treatment, as part of the confirmation of Zavala and the RMN's justification for using force to recover their illegally held citizens.

Searching the ships could have taken some hours [according to SoS] even if the search teams were much larger than Abbie had the first time, but even assuming it didn't, Captain Zavala would have been quite busy checking everything including his medical officers' checkups of the freighter crews, monitoring the SAR etc.

Once the freighters were cleared and underway, I believe he would have contacted Captain Myau to alert her she could re-board her ships in about 40 minutes and suggest that part of the problem that created the incident was a lack of hard information in Saltash, ie if Duenas had truly known what had happened in in Spindle he wouldn't have tried such foolishness, nor Admiral Dubroskaya agree to such stupidity; and provide her downloads of Spindle including the Sollie reporters', plus New Tuscany and even Monica, and letting her tech's confirm they weren't edited or falsified; and even offer her the option of sending a db or one of her DD's to Spindle with an introduction [safe passage] from him to confirm those reports.

Once those chores were done and before leaving the system, I'd expect him to make some kind of announcement to the planet Cinnamon, on all possible channels to reduce jamming etc, to reduce the likely panic and rumor mongering.

He might have tried something like this:

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'm Captain Jacob Zavala of the Royal Manticoran Navy.

I regret the unnecessary loss of life today because Governor Duenas unlawfully held Manticoran citizens from their freighters, which is an interstellar recognised act of piracy; despite claiming it was a medical emergency but didn't treat them or allow my doctors to review the claims as required by the Treaty of Beowulf, then he foolishly refused to believe I wouldn't carry out my orders to free them.

Admiral Dubroskaya and several thousand of her crewmen then lost their lives obeying his orders.

He again refused to order the gendarmes to release them from their brig, so my personnel had to go get them causing some damage to module 7 of Shona station, but Captain McNaughtan assures me all Saltash civilians were and are safe and normal traffic will resume within the hour.

Admiral Dubroskaya and thousands of her spacers died because too little is known about the Battle of Spindle, New Tuscany, and Monica here in Saltash; so let me rectify that now with more recent news.

Here are the official reports and protests by the SEM to Old Chicago of each incident, and by Solly reporters both during and after NT and Spindle; let your own tech's confirm these haven't been edited or faked.

Needless to say, compared to what happened in Spindle, today's SLN casualties are roughly 1% or a drop in the bucket, but unless the SLN learns it can't stand up to us, more are going to die the next time something like this happens, so this is my bid to alert the SLN about the true state of power between us, to stop wasting so many lives.

If Captain Myau doesn't send a ship, feel free to send a db or freighter. Confirming the truth should have been the first step before starting on a course that got so many people killed.

If the Solarian League in its ignorant arrogance continues to treat us like neo-barbs when we are closer to Sol than 99% of the league, the deadly results will only get worse, and again be entirely their fault.

Captain Zavala, clear."

Feel free to agree or rant at will. ;)

L

Too wordy. A basic statement that the governor had illegally sequestered Manticore citizens, and ordered resistance to freeing them that resulted in the destruction of the SLN forces in the system. They have now been freed, and we are leaving the system. Have a nice day.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by kzt   » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:33 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

And if you do it again we'll be back, and we will be angry. You don't want to see what we do when we are angry. Have a nice day.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:38 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

kzt wrote:And if you do it again we'll be back, and we will be angry. You don't want to see what we do when we are angry. Have a nice day.

Maybe not angry - just seriously annoyed.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by n7axw   » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:22 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

What Zuvalla does is go over the recovered freighters checking for booby traps and then goes home. No speeches necessary.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Hutch   » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

n7axw wrote:What Zuvalla does is go over the recovered freighters checking for booby traps and then goes home. No speeches necessary.

Don

Probably no speeches, but I imagine he may have had some parting words with Captain Valentine MacNaughtan, the Saltashian commander of the Space Station....who, since he had her private com channel, just might have patched Cicely Tiilikainen in....

And the words Zavala would speak would have been short, sweet and to the point, i.e., "If you let that idiot in the Governor's chair slip his chains again, I will be back and I can guarantee it will not be pleasant."
Last edited by Hutch on Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by n7axw   » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:16 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Hutch wrote:
n7axw wrote:What Zuvalla does is go over the recovered freighters checking for booby traps and then goes home. No speeches necessary.

Don

Probably no speeches, but I imagine he may have had some parting words with Captain Valentine MacNaughtan, the Slatashian commander of the Space Station....who, since he had her private com channel, just might have patched Cicely Tiilikainen in....

And the words Zavala would speak would have been short, sweet and to the point, i.e., "If you let that idiot in the Governor's chair slip his chains again, I will be back and I can guarantee it will not be pleasant."

Hi Hutch,

Now this I can see. Just no loquacity needed.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by SharkHunter   » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:10 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

As they say "snip":
Probably no speeches, but I imagine he may have had some parting words with Captain Valentine MacNaughtan, the Saltashian commander of the Space Station....who, since he had her private com channel, just might have patched Cicely Tillikainen in....

Actually I'm thinking that since Commodores in 10th Fleet seem to be able to find their shoelaces even in the dark, the speech might be a little bit longer, because as far back as Mission of Honor, the RMN strategists have realized that the best use for the SLN is in large, trading partner size chunks that are friendly. Given that in Saltash the remaining a) political command, b) station command, and c) naval command are actually honorable, intelligent people, who might collectively agree that slipping the OFS collar would be a good idea... I think you know where I'm going, something along the lines of...

"What would you think of me contacting my bosses (Medusa and Henke) and maybe initialing a basing agreement [a la Sidemore Station...]". No bribes or rake off percentages required."

Myau would probably have to agree to withdraw and not be part of the initial mix, however, because I don't see her as treasonous even to the SLN, unless -- given that she's going to get scapegoated a la Alfredo Yu at the end of HoQ, she might do something similar however, and request asylum with Saltash.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by n7axw   » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:28 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:As they say "snip":
Probably no speeches, but I imagine he may have had some parting words with Captain Valentine MacNaughtan, the Saltashian commander of the Space Station....who, since he had her private com channel, just might have patched Cicely Tillikainen in....

Actually I'm thinking that since Commodores in 10th Fleet seem to be able to find their shoelaces even in the dark, the speech might be a little bit longer, because as far back as Mission of Honor, the RMN strategists have realized that the best use for the SLN is in large, trading partner size chunks that are friendly. Given that in Saltash the remaining a) political command, b) station command, and c) naval command are actually honorable, intelligent people, who might collectively agree that slipping the OFS collar would be a good idea... I think you know where I'm going, something along the lines of...

"What would you think of me contacting my bosses (Medusa and Henke) and maybe initialing a basing agreement [a la Sidemore Station...]". No bribes or rake off percentages required."

Myau would probably have to agree to withdraw and not be part of the initial mix, however, because I don't see her as treasonous even to the SLN, unless -- given that she's going to get scapegoated a la Alfredo Yu at the end of HoQ, she might do something similar however, and request asylum with Saltash.

Actually not a bad idea, but a bit premature at this point in SOF.

Everybody is stll holding their breath, hoping for an outbreak of sense in Old Chicago. It's a bit later that word reaches Mike and she moves on Meyers. After it's clear that the war with the League is on, your idea makes sense after they properly deal with Deunas, of course. Can't have a less than intelligent OFS governor mucking things up.

Don
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:40 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:As they say "snip":

n7axw wrote:
Actually not a bad idea, but a bit premature at this point in SOF.

Everybody is stll holding their breath, hoping for an outbreak of sense in Old Chicago. It's a bit later that word reaches Mike and she moves on Meyers. After it's clear that the war with the League is on, your idea makes sense after they properly deal with Deunas, of course. Can't have a less than intelligent OFS governor mucking things up.

Don

But the end of SoF, while Henke is moving on Mesa, she is also sending lighter ships around to all of the systems in the Madras sector to let them know about the change of ownership. I don't remember if the Saltash system is a part of that sector, although it seems likely, since Henke was tasked with dealing with it. If Zavala is the Officer in Charge who calls on Saltash, thing could get very interesting.
========================

Return to Honorverse