Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], markusschaber and 167 guests

Command Slots

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Command Slots
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:53 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Armed Neo-Bob wrote:
Draken wrote:If Styles would be pulled back by Janacek & Co. That would be catastrophe, because every JAG, flag officer and peers in Parliament will be furious. No government can discuss with law and courts, similar to Janacek attack on Honor guards.

This is a little unclear. If Styles were retained on active status, Harrington (as acting CO) would have initiated a court martial procedure, and he would have been gone before Janacek and crew came into office.

Janacek has his flaws, but he is too smart (as a political animal) to have wasted the effort and political capital it would take to resurrect someone who couldn't do anything whatever to promote his (Janacek's) agenda.

Recall that he didn't even balk for a second at sending Young's cousin to prison for decades, after Zilwicki brought the Manpower data back.

YMMV,

Rob

I'm aware of all this. The origin suggestion was made in jest.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by saber964   » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:52 pm

saber964
Admiral

fallsfromtrees" [quote="Armed Neo-Bob wrote:
Draken wrote:If Styles would be pulled back by Janacek & Co. That would be catastrophe, because every JAG, flag officer and peers in Parliament will be furious. No government can discuss with law and courts, similar to Janacek attack on Honor guards.

This is a little unclear. If Styles were retained on active status, Harrington (as acting CO) would have initiated a court martial procedure, and he would have been gone before Janacek and crew came into office.

Janacek has his flaws, but he is too smart (as a political animal) to have wasted the effort and political capital it would take to resurrect someone who couldn't do anything whatever to promote his (Janacek's) agenda.

Recall that he didn't even balk for a second at sending Young's cousin to prison for decades, after Zilwicki brought the Manpower data back.

YMMV,

Rob

I'm aware of all this. The origin suggestion was made in jest.[/quote]

Can you imagine what kind of conversation RADM Styles had with ADM White Haven after he got back from seeing Honor of on the Harrington.
Post by munroburton   » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:23 pm

munroburton
Admiral

saber964 wrote:Can you imagine what kind of conversation RADM Styles had with ADM White Haven after he got back from seeing Honor of on the Harrington.

I'd rather imagine the conversation in which Styles finds out about H. Harrington's promotion to ADM. :D

Styles is probably infamous by now. Those walls in Camp Charon were quite thin and it was the only time she shouted at a subordinate. That's quite juicy stuff for newsies interviewing the escaped prisoners, never mind the gossip in the fleet once the rest of the Allied ex-prisoners met up with their old buddies.

It must be an incident as legendary in the RMN as White Haven's lashing of Janacek.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:52 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:That's quite juicy stuff for newsies interviewing the escaped prisoners, never mind the gossip in the fleet once the rest of the Allied ex-prisoners met up with their old buddies.

I suspect that most of those interviewees start with, "I can't believe she didn't smack him down sooner. I would have started yelling much sooner than she did."
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Draken   » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:54 pm

Draken
Commander

He had luck, that Honor was patient enough for formal court-martial, she could killed him on Hades. Also Janacek had luck that he committed suicide, cus he was guilty a few things which had death sentence with it. She could did that but it would cause more problems, easy way was to shoot him on the planet.
Oveerstegen should be very close to Vice Admiral stars, only problem might be that he is junior.
Post by roseandheather   » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:01 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Draken wrote:He had luck, that Honor was patient enough for formal court-martial, she could killed him on Hades. Also Janacek had luck that he committed suicide, cus he was guilty a few things which had death sentence with it. She could did that but it would cause more problems, easy way was to shoot him on the planet.
Oveerstegen should be very close to Vice Admiral stars, only problem might be that he is junior.

Oversteegen's also a bit busy following Michelle Henke about the galaxy playing "squash the bug". I've no doubt a promotion is coming, but it'll probably have to wait until they can tell him he's been promoted.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Draken   » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:19 pm

Draken
Commander

Another one on my list is Terekhov and we have similar problem here, way too young for Admiral star. Hirotaka and Miklos should get second star soon.
Post by SharkHunter   » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:54 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Draken wrote:Another one on my list is Terekhov and we have similar problem here, way too young for Admiral star. Hirotaka and Miklos should get second star soon.

I'd be willing to bet that Hirotaka and Miklos are already rear admirals at least, just not in our "published list". They would need to be just to replace the McKeons, etc. KIA at the battle of Manticore and after.

My bit of added "promotions board" thinking: Terekhov isn't too young for commodore ranking or even promotion outside the zone to Rear Admiral: remember he took an amount of time out for Foreign Office service, otherwise he'd likely be at Mark Sarnow's rank, at least. He's had more savagae battle experience than Michael Oversteegen, for example.

But I don't see RFC promoting him just yet. Like another poster said, his public rep out with 10th Fleet is way too valuable as a "bug squisher" a la Oversteegen, and he doesn't need the added rank to be REAL useful for putting some lily-liver flavored butterflies into into the stomachs of any SLN ships crews that might need swatting in the mean time.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:25 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

Draken wrote:Another one on my list is Terekhov and we have similar problem here, way too young for Admiral star. Hirotaka and Miklos should get second star soon.

His twenty-seven T-years in the Foreign Office didn't age him at all? :)

It isn't his age, it is his relative time in grade. He wasn't jumped to RAdm. like Oversteegen (who never had a cruiser squadron, but went from CPT of Nike to Rear Admiral with a BC Squadron command).

Didn't it say in SoSag he is 74? He's actually older than Mike Henke by a decade.

Rob
Post by stewart   » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:39 am

stewart
Captain of the List

Armed Neo-Bob wrote:

His twenty-seven T-years in the Foreign Office didn't age him at all? :)

It isn't his age, it is his relative time in grade. He wasn't jumped to RAdm. like Oversteegen (who never had a cruiser squadron, but went from CPT of Nike to Rear Admiral with a BC Squadron command).

Didn't it say in SoSag he is 74? He's actually older than Mike Henke by a decade.

Rob

---------------

Two points of Info --
Terekhov had a light cruiser command during the first war, ending with his POW status and rehab prior to Hexapuma.

Oversteegan had 2 tours as CO of Sag-B Gauntlet (Service of the Sword and Crown of Slaves) and was 1st CO of BC(L) Nike prior to BC Squadron command.

-- Stewart

Return to Honorverse